NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

On 10/2/2023 at 9:47 AM, DCarp1231 said:

FWIW, the Colts one looks the best. It’s picking thorns off a rose bush, but Indy’s isn’t as heinous as the others.

I actually feel that the Colts is the worst case, the combo is completely unbalanced and feels totally wrong for them. At the very least, the Commanders and Jets have incorporated black into their main uniform sets and the alternates are a true monochrome. And no, the black Nike swooshes do not work the same way for the Colts.

I'd even argue that those Jets uniforms are not that bad and not a true case of BFBS

• Like 4

spacer.png

On 10/2/2023 at 10:47 AM, DCarp1231 said:

FWIW, the Colts one looks the best. It’s picking thorns off a rose bush, but Indy’s isn’t as heinous as the others.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again - if there is any team in the NFL that does not need black as a color, it is the Colts.

The "Indiana Nights" uniform set could have worked better if the shell of the helmet was blue, like their helmets in the 1950s but the black on the helmet ruins it.

• Like 6

rAUPGPZ.png

On 10/2/2023 at 11:23 AM, WBeltz said:

I'd argue in terms of helmets:

1. Jets

2. Indy

3. Washington

UNiforms? Indy's is the best by far but that doesn't say much

I love that jersey for the Colts. The helmet and pants are complete trash and drag it down. Their typical helmet and pants would look great with it. The only reason I wouldn't want that as their primary look is the history behind the current ones. But it would be a great alternate.

I don't mind the black as trim on the jersey the same way I don't mind it on the Jets primaries. It's once it starts being used as a primary element that it becomes BFBS IMO.

• Like 3

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

6 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I wish they went with the silver version.

This is the canonical Oilers uniform. Silver didn't look bad for them, just a little out of place and more associated with the Cowboys.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So with the giants now using throwback helmets with the color rush whites, does that give them two throwbacks or one throwback and one color rush (since they use white socks like SF does with theirs) my head hurts 😂

KISSwall09.jpg

Come at me all you want-- these uniforms should have either been given to the Texans or left to the sands of time. The Titans don't deserve to wear Oilers uniforms after Bud Adams screwed the city of Houston over and withheld everything about the Oilers identity out of spite. Now they want to gloat that over Houston with these throwbacks and even wear them against the Texans? 🤬 that. Give the Oilers identity back to Houston, or don't bring these back. I doubt many fans in Tennessee have much of a connection to these uniforms, either.

Imo should have been a Browns/Ravens situation (or more directly comparable, a Hornets/Pelicans situation). The old name/colors can go back to the original city for the new expansion team, while the moving team has to rebrand.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

First in-action look at the throwback Oilers helmets for the Titans. Initial thoughts – the stripes look extra large and modern helmets cause some awkward logo placements.

While they are big, I think the stripes look about right. The Oilers (at least of the early 90s) had pretty wide striping too.

spacer.png

As for the logo, I am presuming it's harder to place the decal (at an accurate size) in the middle because of the various ways that facemasks attach to the helmets now. And the Titans' equipment folks must have been instructed not to either have the facemask/clips overlap the decals or not to cut the decals where that would have been required to center them. "Protect the integrity of the mark" or similar thought, I suppose.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Come at me all you want-- these uniforms should have either been given to the Texans or left to the sands of time. The Titans don't deserve to wear Oilers uniforms after Bud Adams screwed the city of Houston over and withheld everything about the Oilers identity out of spite. Now they want to gloat that over Houston with these throwbacks and even wear them against the Texans? 🤬 that. Give the Oilers identity back to Houston, or don't bring these back. I doubt many fans in Tennessee have much of a connection to these uniforms, either.

Imo should have been a Browns/Ravens situation (or more directly comparable, a Hornets/Pelicans situation). The old name/colors can go back to the original city for the new expansion team, while the moving team has to rebrand.

You are correct and I will die on this hill. Earl Campbell doesn't give a :censored: about Nashville. Never even played in Nashville. The  player and team history is in Houston. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

iq5b7nF.png

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

This is true but it's never happening, therefore the Titans should keep the throwbacks just so we get to relive the Oilers once or twice a year

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, jc... said:

You are correct and I will die on this hill. Earl Campbell doesn't give a :censored: about Nashville. Never even played in Nashville. The  player and team history is in Houston. 

I've never seen an Oilers alum recognize the Texans as the successor of the Oilers franchise over the Titans. I can understand the bad feelings about all of this, but the Titans have been honoring the Oilers for years and it just feels odd as a fan of the team to read so many people who seem to be only taking issue with this now.

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/news/oilers-great-earl-campbell-pays-visit-to-titans

"By all means I support the Titans, even though they are not in Houston any more. … A lot takes place in life and at some point you have to get over it. Even though the franchise moved, they are in Tennessee and they're the Tennessee Titans, it's still the organization I used to play for, and the Adams family."

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Hate 1

spacer.png

22 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

First in-action look at the throwback Oilers helmets for the Titans. Initial thoughts – the stripes look extra large and modern helmets cause some awkward logo placements.

Agree on the awkward logo placement. It’s too far back. Seeing #31 on the video thumbnail, it would make sense for the decal to be tilted slightly forward to use more of that empty space. It would ultimately look best if they took the time to work the lower leg of it inside the chinstrap snaps.

Those helmet stripes might have more weight to them than the numbers on their practice jerseys.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

9 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

This is true but it's never happening, therefore the Titans should keep the throwbacks just so we get to relive the Oilers once or twice a year

I’m wondering how long it’ll take before we get a Dolphins/49ers/Giants situation with Tennessee where they eventually roll out a second throwback to round out the set.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ruttep said:

All the more puzzling after the Titans went heavy on navy for their new uniforms. I thought that might be indicative of possibly letting Houston reclaim Columbia down the road, but now they are doubling down on this. It’s only going to get more difficult now with merchandise sales factoring in to the decision.

Tennessee wearing navy/red is the cherry on top for me. If you’re going to insist on keeping Luv Ya Blue, at least let them have their navy/red.

spacer.png

• Like 2

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I know I tried to brainstorm some Titans stuff a while back in this thread: what about Aegean blue as a color?

Subaru Aegean Blue 340Wood Mode | Deep Aegean

It doesn't seem like anyone can definitively agree on what "Aegean blue" is, but it seems to be a mid-saturation blue-grey. Pretty close to the old Seahawks Blue of the 2000s, but far enough from Luv Ya Blue and plain old navy blue.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • WOAH 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫