NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The logo nerd paradox: alternates must be developed to meet fan demand, but rules can't be enforced because no one cares.

You nailed it. I also blame the owners for letting the players decide on uniform redesigns and combos, and then not correcting the players when they push the limits of uniform rules...which is how we wound up with all white uniforms with no stripes and plain white socks. It could have been nipped in the bud years ago!

Edited by PurpleHayes

2 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

You nailed it. I also blame the owners for letting the players decide on uniform redesigns and combos, and then not correcting the players when they push the limits of uniform rules...which is how we wound up with all white uniforms with no stripes and plain white socks. It could have been nipped in the bud years ago!

You say this like there are some rules deep in the rulebook which ban these things. There's nothing that says you can't have an all-white uniform, or white socks, or that stripes are required on pants

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

You say this like there are some rules deep in the rulebook which ban these things. There's nothing that says you can't have an all-white uniform, or white socks, or that stripes are required on pants

Not against the rules, but owners should enforce a team's identity, not let players who won't be on the team in a few years dilute a team's identity just because they like all black uniforms or 'icy white ' insanity. The Lions with all white from the neck down looks like trash to me.

19 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

Not against the rules, but owners should enforce a team's identity, not let players who won't be on the team in a few years dilute a team's identity just because they like all black uniforms or 'icy white ' insanity. The Lions with all white from the neck down looks like trash to me.

Players have been deciding what teams wear on the field for a long time. It's nothing new. MLB pitchers have been known to decide the uniform worn in games even. Player involvement in a look is just as important as anything I would say, you know the saying: Look good, feel good, play good. That's how it is for players and just fashion in general. If you look good, you feel good.

The only real issue here is consistent sock designs being a problem from player to player, the rest is clearly an evolution of the NFL uniform. You don't have to like it but this is what it's like now and quite honestly we should all get over it. It's all trends and it will stop when it stops. We've watched sports long enough to know that everything starts and stops over time. Cartoony logos? Teal? Black? etc. It all comes and goes.

Also suspensions for uniform violations is dumb. In fact, fining for uniforms is dumb too to be honest unless it's super egregious but even then, the fact the league once fined a guy for charity cleats is a joke. He wasn't doing anything wrong and it did upset the non-uniform football fans.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Player involvement in a look is just as important as anything I would say

The Raiders have had the same uniform for 60 years without soliciting player input. Sometimes there's value in being part of a cohesive whole that was there before you and will be there after you.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the real solution here is two-fold. 

First, players will alter the uniforms to wear different things based on comfort, and they should be allowed to be comfortable as long as it's consistent with the uniform. If players like wearing leggings instead of socks, for example, then the solution would be to create leggings that match the uniform socks in appearance. If undershirts are really more comfortable with the elastic of the uniforms, then create rules about tucking them in or their color matching the jersey to keep the correct appearance while maximizing player comfort. Work with the players to make rules that make sense for their comfort that can also create a uniform appearance for every player on the field.

The second would be to include punishments at the organization level. Players not matching regulations would not be allowed on the field until they make adjustments to meet them, and a team allowing their players on the field while not meeting regulations would be fined. These punishments wouldn't impact games, but they would provide an incentive from within an organization to get everyone on the same page. 

This should take care of any issues with players not actually wearing the same thing from both sides. The only reason for a player to not match regulations would be as a show of individuality, and it would come down to whether their team would be willing to support it by paying the fines every week. And you better believe repeat offenders would see the fines increase.

Will this happen? No. The league only cares that the helmet, jersey, and pants of all the players match, and the fans don't really care at all. The owners aren't going to agree to start fining one another unless they actually care, and I doubt even a quarter of them do in the slightest. And they're happy to pass the buck along to the players, who are then content to complain about it and get the fans on their side. 

Now, if you wanted to take it a step further, you could legislate the aesthetics themselves, too. You could write rules mandating that any white socks/leggings or pants contain stripes or some kind of designed element. Rules around how often teams may wear matching jersey and pants or pants and socks could be fair, as could be rules mandating each jersey be worn a certain number of times. And you could take after soccer and even write rules about when different colors of jerseys and pants may be worn against one another to maximize proper clash and distinction on the field. Will any of that happen? It is unlikely. But it is fun to think about. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Speaking of uniform violations and passing trends, remember when players would cut up their socks and put them on their arms? Turning the No Fun League into the Life Goes On League.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Speaking of uniform violations and passing trends, remember when players would cut up their socks and put them on their arms? Turning the No Fun League into the Life Goes On League.

Wasn't this mostly a Chiefs thing? Tbh I didn't hate it, it makes sense for the stripes on your arms to match the ones on your legs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

With all the rain in New York, it seems like this paint didn't set at all.

Yeah, I'd cut the guy a break.  The tropical storm rain in NY, PHL, and I assume most of the coast has been downright awful. 

I was shocked it let up enough for the Phillies to play yesterday... though the wind was causing outfielders to miss balls right and left.  The league has already moved back today's game from 1:35 to 6:05, but I can't imagine it'll be played (which could potentially result in a weird double-header in New York next weekend where the Phillies are "home" for one game).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

https://youtu.be/dAE7uOO_4v4?t=30

14 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Watching Pitt - UNC last night really reinforces how much better the Rams’ uniforms could be.  Just imagine a royal blue helmet with the classic horn:

o2xeb4h.jpg

14 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

No need to imagine, it was reality

1042111068.jpg.0.jpg

"Just imagine a royal blue helmet with the classic horn" — MJD7

• Like 3