NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

55 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I have no idea how they were lead to that nickname, but it's so stale. Feels like the branding for one of these XFL or USFL teams. 

And the San Antonio Commanders looked a lot better too, with the exception of the numbers on the side of the helmet. Fans more important than San Antonio Commanders' loss

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 5/10/2023 at 1:02 PM, MJWalker45 said:

That's liike saying a new baseball team can't be called the Blue Sox. 32 is the year they moved to DC, so that's what you go with. IT flows smoother than 76ers and 36ers as well. 

1937 is when they moved to Washington

qqsnye7igxo8ec46p6i8.gif8w1hgru5dzdypj7inln83daen.giffh4wdzfefsmfcaxut0absohlk.giffie6s5apghfbj7vtla8v.gif

I know i'm in the minority but I still wish they'd kept the Skins part of the name and just went Pigskins. Kept the old uniforms and colors, still could be called the skins, goes with the hog motif they love, and just switch out the logo for something different. Pigskins also has a long time football reference that would fit.

Hell, Cleveland basically just swapped "In" for "Guar" and went on with things.  Washington decided that aside from barely keeping their colors they wanted a whole new direction and went along with it with all the furvor of MLS teams naming the last dozen or so teams between FC, City, and United... It's plain. it's boring. And it has nothing to do with anything about Washington except the very tenuous grasp of "Oh, but Commander-in-Chief"... But there's a team named the Chiefs AND you can't call back to another native-themed name even when you try to avoid it.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I know i'm in the minority but I still wish they'd kept the Skins part of the name and just went Pigskins.

I think had Snyder been amenable to the change much earlier on this would have been a viable option, but the longer he waited the more clear it was that renaming the team with "-skins" was a half measure and the whole slate had to be wiped clean. At least that is my read of how the situation unfolded. 

• Like 2

Seeing this thread get Commandeered with discourse surrounding the name coupled with the team’s metro-inspired schedule teaser graphic, it reignited my desire for a Metro-centric nickname.

Something like… the Metropolitans really rolls off the tongue and would be unique to the sports world.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Seeing this thread get Commandeered with discourse surrounding the name coupled with the team’s metro-inspired schedule teaser graphic, it reignited my desire for a Metro-centric nickname.

Something like… the Metropolitans really rolls off the tongue and would be unique to the sports world.

ummm...

Major League Baseball No GIF by SNY

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

Hotter Than July > Thriller

29 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Washington Football Team was a terrible name. The only way that would have worked was if that was the team's name from inception. Commanders is boring but it is much better than WFT.

I feel like part of the reason people liked it, besides the the Quirky element, was that it kinda gave people the chance to just look at Washington's uniform set without the baggage, and despite the changes that made it look more like a practice jersey, see that they have a really good color scheme and uniform design.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

22 minutes ago, ssj_homeslice said:

I think had Snyder been amenable to the change much earlier on this would have been a viable option, but the longer he waited the more clear it was that renaming the team with "-skins" was a half measure and the whole slate had to be wiped clean. At least that is my read of how the situation unfolded. 

Yeah, I agree there that his insistence on not changing the name led to the desire for a fullscale rebrand. But, that would've been like Cleveland losing the red/white/blue colors in a rebrand.

Everything about the Washington name change was done so haphazardly. So many college teams went from (Commanders) to Redhawks, Orangemen to Orange... etc, that it seemed like such an easy thing to change up to that point. But by digging in their heels they couldn't then just go 'oopsy, my bad' and go with a minor tweak.

But with Snyder gone... I think giving the fans the 'Skins' name they still love would go a long way to ingratiating themselves into the fanbase and staying true to the desire to no longer be a native themed team.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Yeah, I agree there that his insistence on not changing the name led to the desire for a fullscale rebrand. But, that would've been like Cleveland losing the red/white/blue colors in a rebrand.

Everything about the Washington name change was done so haphazardly. So many college teams went from (Commanders) to Redhawks, Orangemen to Orange... etc, that it seemed like such an easy thing to change up to that point. But by digging in their heels they couldn't then just go 'oopsy, my bad' and go with a minor tweak.

But with Snyder gone... I think giving the fans the 'Skins' name they still love would go a long way to ingratiating themselves into the fanbase and staying true to the desire to no longer be a native themed team.

Not to mention the Guardians, which has gone incredibly well when compared with the Commander 

23 minutes ago, SCL said:

Not to mention the Guardians, which has gone incredibly well when compared with the Commander 

As a Cleveland sports fan, I wasn't thrilled by Guardians (especially with an XFL team just using that name), but it fit. It's a little clunky but it's still the same number of syllables and rolls off your tongue fairly well. Image wise, the team still 'looks' similar. Just that baseball G logo is god awful.

if they weren't going with a major change and going with Spiders, Guardians at least feels Clevelandy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

A cop out in what way?

Anything “Red-“ would be a back door into formerly-known-as territory.

Redhawks

Redhogs

Redyellowgreenlights

They’d intentionally be risking a Freudian avalanche of the former name.

It’s a “Well, close enough. Might as well just..” situation.

• Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Redhawks

Redhogs

Redyellowgreenlights

Hate to break it to you, but any name change was going to see the wrong name be used from time to time. We're still hearing "San Diego Chargers" and how many years has it been?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Redhawks

Redhogs

Redyellowgreenlights

Change comes not from the bottom up (fans liked tradition) or the top down (owner wanted to keep it too) but from the middle out 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

29 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Hate to break it to you, but any name change was going to see the wrong name be used from time to time. We're still hearing "San Diego Chargers" and how many years has it been?

Location vs nickname is irrelevant given the circumstances behind the latter’s change.

You can call them the San Diego Chargers all day long because it’s simply a location debate. What you shouldn’t be doing is calling Washington their former name.

Slip ups are bound to happen. I’m not saying they won’t. What I am saying is, you give an inch and they’ll take it a mile.

13 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Change comes not from the bottom up (fans liked tradition) or the top down (owner wanted to keep it too) but from the middle out 

Ditto.

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Seriously?  You think if the names are close, someone would just say, "Hey, it's so close I'll just go ahead and drop the slur... they're basically asking for it"?  I find that really hard to believe.

Now, if you think having  a new name start with Red might make accidental slip ups happen more often, I could see that being a possibility, but that would IMO be on the announcers and their ability to police themselves, which isn't Washington's problem.

Regardless, "cop out" isn't the term for either situation, which is what made me ask in the first place.

• Like 3