NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

21 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Sure technically the players are putting the pants/tights/jerseys on but barring a Chris Sale moment, the equipment folks are the ones taking the stuff out of storage and into lockers in a "Who run Barter Town" sort of way.

But there is someone over the equipment managers making the ultimate decisions on these, whether it’s the coach, or someone under the GM, or the guy who runs social media, no team just give the equipment room free reign on what they are wearing each week.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, dont care said:

But there is someone over the equipment managers making the ultimate decisions on these, whether it’s the coach, or someone under the GM, or the guy who runs social media, no team just give the equipment room free reign on what they are wearing each week.

On paper sure. But how many times have we seen situations where we find out "Yeah players went to our equipment team and kept pushing to wear X combination so they just did it one day." Social media, coaches, and marketing people tend to have the most control over the jersey selection and specific special combination like Color Rush but often you get the equipment managers filling gaps especially in terms of pants and socks which matters a lot to nerds like us but less to higher ups.

Some teams do tightly control their operations (I know for a fact that the Bears are not going to wear white over white again while George McCaskey is in charge because he doesn't like that combination) but that tends to be more of an exception.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

On paper sure. But how many times have we seen situations where we find out "Yeah players went to our equipment team and kept pushing to wear X combination so they just did it one day." Social media, coaches, and marketing people tend to have the most control over the jersey selection and specific special combination like Color Rush but often you get the equipment managers filling gaps especially in terms of pants and socks which matters a lot to nerds like us but less to higher ups.

Some teams do tightly control their operations (I know for a fact that the Bears are not going to wear white over white again while George McCaskey is in charge because he doesn't like that combination) but that tends to be more of an exception.

Is McCaskey (what a perfect Chicagoan name btw) also responsible for keeping them in striped socks long after the vast majority of other teams have dumped them? If so, bravo to him!

• LOL 2

Up in the CFL, the Calgary Stampeders are assigning retired numbers for preseason as well as putting a patch on the jersey with the retired player’s name.

This is something I’ve always wished NFL teams would do-

spacer.png

FwRFL6QWABo1RIs?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

4 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Up in the CFL, the Calgary Stampeders are assigning retired numbers for preseason as well as putting a patch on the jersey with the retired player’s name.

This is something I’ve always wished NFL teams would do-

spacer.png

FwRFL6QWABo1RIs?format=jpg&name=medium

Nah. Michigan did that with their uniforms for a while and it was annoying. It's also only for preseason, so if they make the team they're changing numbers. 

Indiana vs. Michigan 2013 final score: Wolverines outlast Hoosiers in  offensive explosion, 63-47 - SBNation.com

MJ Morris - 2023 - Football - NC State University Athletics

NC State still did that as recently as 2021 too. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

Nah. Michigan did that with their uniforms for a while and it was annoying.

NC State still did that as recently as 2021 too. 

The idea is nice but the execution is lacking. A small patch on the back above the NOB would be a tasteful way to do it, not a gaudy giant patch on the front

• Like 6

Just now, BigDmo said:

The idea is nice but the execution is lacking. A small patch on the back above the NOB would be a tasteful way to do it, not a gaudy giant patch on the front

The point is to make sure you see it. And this is the pros. As much as the NFL pretends football didn't exist before Super Bowl I, I don't think they'd sign off on it except as some sort of league wide deal during a week of the season. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

👀

Nothing to see here folks, both of those are Riddell VSR-4 Helmets from the early 2000's. Just for decoration. The VSR-4 was banned before the 2019 NFL Season.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

da0Lbhs.png

33 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Is McCaskey (what a perfect Chicagoan name btw) also responsible for keeping them in striped socks long after the vast majority of other teams have dumped them? If so, bravo to him!

I'm not 100% on the exact story but the family has been highly protective of their uniform going back to founder George Halas and his daughter, Virginia Halas McCaskey has been no exception. Her husband Ed McCaskey was chairman after Papa Bear passed and then passed the chairmanships to their son Michael and then George.

I know George is uniform guy (he might even lurk on these boards, who knows) and the family understands that the striped socks are an essential part of their brand as one of if not THE old school, OG NFL franchise.

I have a pet theory that the Bears uniforms owe a lot to the Cubs. George Halas owned a sports equipment company called May and Halas that operated just down Clark St. from Wrigley Field (which the Cubs and Bears shared) and for a time in the late 40's and early 50's, that company also provided the finishing details on the Cubs uniforms as well as the Bears. In that era, around when the Bears began to transition to the design they'd permanent adopt, the Cubs wore rounded numerals, three equally spaced stripes on their socks (and occasionally their undershirts) and bore a wishbone "C" on their caps....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

I actually...like this? It seems like something a blacksmith would wear under their apron. Kinda badass tbh.

Modern blacksmith Jon A. Reeves looks to teach the 'lost art' at  Kalamazoo's Park Trades Center - mlive.com

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t hate this look? Kind of has a late-nineties feel to it, but then if you combine that with red and baby blue with navy trim,.,it actually sounds good to me. Unique if nothing else. 

Of course, the helmets better have either the current logo or (even better) bull’s horns on them. If it’s just a plain helmet with an Old English H on the side, that’ll look trashy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYCdog said:

Some other items from "The Wild Collective" on the NFL Shop.

yWAXH2N.png

• Like 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 hour ago, NYCdog said:

Highly confident they wouldn't leak it on an acid wash tee in their online team shop.  Especially for a tee design built on the 2023 season.

Also, this has a "concert tee" feel to it, both in the blank garment and the design.  I'm sure there was some thought in the font selection, but highly doubt this is an official wordmark.    

1 hour ago, NYCdog said:

Also....looks like a WWE tee for The Undertaker.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1