NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

6 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Given how bad some of these new NFL uniforms look with stripeless pants and same color socks, I'm starting to come around on the idea that college football is right and letting legs show isn't so bad. I think I might actually agree with Will Anderson here.

I prefer this:

spacer.png

To this:

spacer.png

Yes....but this on the other hand is atrocious.

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Hurl 1

32 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Kenny Pickett was wearing it last year.

spacer.png

Might just be my love for the Speedflex but I hate the look of these helmets. Just find them to be rather dorky for some reason.

Zeke was looking like a long lost Power Ranger with the tinted visor.

ZekeHelmet.jpg

• Like 5

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

47 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Kenny Pickett was wearing it last year.

spacer.png

Meanwhile, on the other end of the QB-helmet-fit spectrum:

Scott-Zolak.jpg

16420480443678.jpg

Dude's face always did look like Commander Krang squished up inside that helmet...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think I said this in the 2022 college thread at one point, but two major things throw me off about this helmet:

1. The non-shell vent cutouts look AWFUL on any helmet that isn't black (or maybe navy). They aren't holes in the shell; there's plastic in them! Why can't that plastic be colored the same as the shell? (Hint: It's got to be because Riddell is first a company trying to sell its product, and those vents are distinctive. Anything to make them stand out arguably helps their brand.)
  2. The top bar(s) of the facemask being missing looks weird. Facemasks have had those since well before I was born, so I'm used to seeing them there. All of the sudden, there isn't one on this model. And that looks weird. Not to mention that, combined with the shape of the visor itself, makes this look like a motorcycle helmet.
    1. A subpoint to this is also that the facemask fastens on the sides behind (or inside?) the shell instead of on top. When I first saw these, I thought "Well, it will kind of be like 50s/60s helmets where the facemask only connected on the sides and didn't go around the top." But even then, the facemask fastened on the outside of the helmet. So there was simply more facemask to see. As a result, there was more contrast between shell and facemask. Now, the facemask is reduced to almost being an extension of the visor, in some ways, at least from a shape and real estate standpoint.
    2. A second subpoint about the facemask: black on black helmets, like the Steelers, look way less weird, especially from far away because it's harder to see the details, especially at any distance. However, lighter combinations (especially with dark visors like Elliot's) or higher-contrast combinations (especially if the facemask is darker than the shell) look weird, or at least very different than what I'm used to.

Summing up point no. 2 as a tl;dr: With the Axiom, the facemask is part of the helmet instead of being something that is affixed onto the helmet, and it's jarring to see a football helmet that departs from what has been a fairly linear evolution of helmet styles. (Not to mention it looks more like a motorcycle helmet now.)

53 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

spacer.png

Because the Ravens guy isn't wearing any socks at all. If he was at least wearing the crew socks that college teams wear, he wouldn't look nearly as bad. I don't ever notice when guys don't wear tights in college because they're at least wearing something at the bottom. This is just jarring

• Like 3

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

31 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I think I said this in the 2022 college thread at one point, but two major things throw me off about this helmet:

1. The non-shell vent cutouts look AWFUL on any helmet that isn't black (or maybe navy). They aren't holes in the shell; there's plastic in them! Why can't that plastic be colored the same as the shell? (Hint: It's got to be because Riddell is first a company trying to sell its product, and those vents are distinctive. Anything to make them stand out arguably helps their brand.)
  2. The top bar(s) of the facemask being missing looks weird. Facemasks have had those since well before I was born, so I'm used to seeing them there. All of the sudden, there isn't one on this model. And that looks weird. Not to mention that, combined with the shape of the visor itself, makes this look like a motorcycle helmet.
    1. A subpoint to this is also that the facemask fastens on the sides behind (or inside?) the shell instead of on top. When I first saw these, I thought "Well, it will kind of be like 50s/60s helmets where the facemask only connected on the sides and didn't go around the top." But even then, the facemask fastened on the outside of the helmet. So there was simply more facemask to see. As a result, there was more contrast between shell and facemask. Now, the facemask is reduced to almost being an extension of the visor, in some ways, at least from a shape and real estate standpoint.
    2. A second subpoint about the facemask: black on black helmets, like the Steelers, look way less weird, especially from far away because it's harder to see the details, especially at any distance. However, lighter combinations (especially with dark visors like Elliot's) or higher-contrast combinations (especially if the facemask is darker than the shell) look weird, or at least very different than what I'm used to.

Summing up point no. 2 as a tl;dr: With the Axiom, the facemask is part of the helmet instead of being something that is affixed onto the helmet, and it's jarring to see a football helmet that departs from what has been a fairly linear evolution of helmet styles. (Not to mention it looks more like a motorcycle helmet now.)

I’m pretty sure those are the pads under the shell, not more plastic which is why they stay black

36 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

A couple of the Stampeders have been wearing them since last season and I also think it looks so weird.

FwxMcnPaMAE77Lr?format=jpg&name=small

FwxcbQXacAMvcgL?format=jpg&name=small

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

spacer.png

Hey, at least Philly is wearing black socks here instead of plain white. (Yes, I know you were referring to the Baltimore guy.)

• Like 1

One thing about the Axiom style is that in addition to have no anchor bars along the sides and top of the face (thus looking more like OG double bar facemasks than modern 3, 4 point attachments) the bars themselves are flat.

More reminiscent of the early 90's style plastic facemask. So it's not just the arrangement but the bars themselves.

usa-today-5423826.0.jpg

B64D_xVCUAALJxH.jpg

I'm not sure which I hate more, solid color socks that match the pants color, creating a "tights" effect, or pants so  freaking short they look like biker shorts.

I'm old-school on wanting white socks with contrast colors on the upper half.  It just looks better IMHO.  Looking at the above pic of the Ravens, they look like ballet dancers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Is it really worse than this?  I'm not so sure anymore. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

I'm not sure which I hate more, solid color socks that match the pants color, creating a "tights" effect, or pants so  freaking short they look like biker shorts.

I'm old-school on wanting white socks with contrast colors on the upper half.  It just looks better IMHO.  Looking at the above pic of the Ravens, they look like ballet dancers.

Baltimore Ravens Photo - National Football League (NFL) - Chris Creamer's  Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

52 1997 Ravens Giants Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Just bring back actual striped socks. 

• Like 10

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Baltimore Ravens Photo - National Football League (NFL) - Chris Creamer's  Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

52 1997 Ravens Giants Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Just bring back actual striped socks. 

Nike has relegated striped socks to the “uncool” bin, where they reside alongside dazzle fabric and full sleeves. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Nike has relegated striped socks to the “uncool” bin, where they reside alongside dazzle fabric and full sleeves. 

The NFL also seems to have stopped enforcing any kind of rules around socks. That's why I think I'm ready to live in a post-sock world where players just show their legs like in college. 

Spare me from seeing all of this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Leave the bare legs to the NCAA.  The NFL would look stupid as hell without socks.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter