NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'm not sure why teams put out tweets like that when they're guaranteed to receive mostly negative comments.  Some are even mildly entertaining.  On the other hand, I love how people post their concepts and are so adamant "WOULD THIS HAVE BEEN SO HARD?!?!?" when they're designs are considerably worse.  Also sad is that so many people feel like there needs to be a state flag somewhere on them.

“All publicity is good publicity”, or so they say. 

Here’s my take: I consider myself a pretty fashionable guy. Most of the time my shirt is one color, my pants are another, and my socks are either the color of my shirt, or a color found within the design on my shirt. And bear in mind we aren’t talking suit and tie, but shorts/khakis/jeans and either t-shirts or a button-up, depending on what I’m doing. And I look great most of the time, if I do say so myself!

The “it’s called fashion” tweet implies (though probably unintentionally) that the concept of color blocking is dated and no longer part of current fashion. Yet I need only to look at my own wardrobe to know otherwise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, batman1211 said:

The titans have a muddied dark blue/grey/silver/columbia blue jersey with huge crooked/broken numbers. I don't think there is anything that the Texans could possible come out with that would be confused with the dumpster fire that is the Titans jersey. 

Oh, I agree that, whatever the Texans come up with, it will probably be much better than Tennessee’s set, unless it involves a dramatic style change. I just don’t like the idea of division rivals sharing three colors, more or less. But if the Texans were red primary and either navy secondary with Columbia tertiary, or Columbia secondary and navy tertiary, that would give the color schemes enough space. And it would be a cool nod to Houston’s past, especially given Tennessee’s stubborn insistence on remaining navy-primary. 

• Like 1

On the Cardinals: If they just had pants stripes on the red set, I think its an A+ set. I'm just ignoring the fact that they will wear red on red a ton. That's a losing battle. But pants stripes on the red set would do wonders. Other than that, I think its a good update for a classic team that only needs a clean look with that helmet.

On the Texans: This H-Town thing with the "H" logo that has circulated has disaster written all over it. My fear isn't that they will look too much like the Titans. I just have a feeling it's going to be a messy cluster all on it's own, regardless of the color scheme. This seems like a total rebrand. Their current branding is bland, but nothing that has been leaked or rumored makes me excited either. H-Town is cheesy, the font is cheesy... IDK what the right answer is, but this doesn't feel like it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Someone else posted it with the right socks:

https://twitter.com/BritishValley/status/1658226551383547904/photo/1

FwM0QkEWcAUrHag?format=jpg&name=900x900

As Stalekracker says, "That's money, dude."

And, I think this is eventually what we'll see as their most common combinations, once they get a few games of Icy White and Used Tampon out of their systems.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

That is good to hear, but do teams actually follow those things anymore? Seems like teams mix and match whatever they feel like these days. Did the 2021 Jets and Eagles' sheets say they could pair black pants with the white jerseys, for instance?

I believe so?

I'd have to go back and see

8 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

If this was a new design today, people would say it is really unnecessary having the cardinal logo, and the state flag interrupting the sleeve stripes.

Preseason Football editorial stock photo. Image of bears - 117969688

And this, I would say the sleeve stripe could've been bigger if not for the state flag which is just now floating there on the sleeve.

I could take or leave the pants stripes...but I would have preferred to see an update on these, with current number font—single layer on the reds, stroked with black on the whites—and of course their current 3-D optimized logo. Devoid of context, that blue looks so random, but in context it's one of those fun uni quirks that creates an interesting yet harmonious dichotomy between the home and away looks...plus it just looks great (to me) used as stripes.

On the topic of the Texans and the Snatit: what Houston is gonna end up with will be the lovebaby of too much nostalgia and trying too hard to—well, let me say it in a more swooshified way—connect with the street culture. First, the obvious: we've seen teasers of a blackletter-styled letter H. I have no idea how they intend to tie that glyph style to their current logo, short of jettisoning their current primary in place of just a simple H monogram (which now that I think about it might not be the worst idea in the world IF they can make things cohesive...which they won't because, well, you know), but that style of lettering has benefits used in street culture going back at least to the early 80s, if not sooner, by the Hispanic crews in LA and surrounding, which then of course spread to other communities. Then, there's the colors: there's no combination of red and anything lighter than a royal blue that won't be an either explicit or implicit callback to the Oilers...I'm sure if there's even a sliver of a crack of a way the Texans can skirt IP law to pull that off, they will. The problem with that approach, though, is it's obviously derivative. They'd be better off cooking up an entirely new colorway altogether instead of trying to feast off the memories of times past...especially if they're looking at catering to younger generations, many/most of whom have exactly zero emotional connection to the old luv-ya blue and red, or the old oil derrick.

And while we're talking about luv-ya blue, what has happened to the Snatit, with the two-tone blue AND the two-tone grey AND silver AND just a little bit of random red is exactly why people say it ain't always the best idea to allow the current crew up there in Beaverton too much creative control over new identities. I'm 100% positive we see something new before 2025.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

👀

Gotta be honest and say I don't see how this is interesting at all. It's the 10th photo in a 39-photo slideshow. To suggest that it's somehow a deliberate clue is very silly. 

In another photo in this slideshow, you can clearly see their old white helmets with gray facemasks (you can see a bit of that helmet in the photo above, too). Teams keep old throwback stuff around to display. It doesn't mean anything. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

👀

Equipment rooms usually have a pretty good collection of old helmets (from own team and other teams), and that's an old-style helmet type - it looks to be Tomlinson's old helmet - so I don't know if we can read too much into it.  A navy helmet could work for the Chargers with the navy uniforms, if done right. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Equipment rooms usually have a pretty good collection of old helmets (from own team and other teams), and that's an old-style helmet type, so I don't know if we can read too much into it.  A navy helmet could work for the Chargers with the navy uniforms, if done right. 

Yeah for like a one off look it’d look cool

spacer.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

It’s almost like the helmet is being used as a decorative piece in an office

spacer.png

Hey, it’s the Washington Warthogs’ perfect logo!

…or at least a perfect representation of the Snyder era in DC - a pig with a nonfunctioning brain. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

29 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah for like a one off look it’d look cool

spacer.png

…I mean, if they’re gonna have a navy alt helmet, they should just do a full 1994 throwback while at least one or two of those guys are still living. (I’m exaggerating, but they did have like 8 or 9 of them who died before 50.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

…I mean, if they’re gonna have a navy alt helmet, they should just do a full 1994 throwback while at least one or two of those guys are still living. (I’m exaggerating, but they did have like 8 or 9 of them who died before 50.)

Seau definitely cemented that look as the “CTE cover image” in my head

• Sad 2