NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

12 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

the template is the only main issue

I actually find it very distracting - on all of them, not just the Eagles.  That v-seam in the front stands out like a sore thumb.  It's almost like when you see a concept here and the template's seams are shown in black lines.  Also with the collar - it's just too much.

I don't get what the purpose of the giant-invasive V-seam is.  I thought they were touting how their previous "seamless" template was as good as it gets.  I'd think that having more seams would be a downgrade.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I actually find it very distracting - on all of them, not just the Eagles.  That v-seam in the front stands out like a sore thumb.  It's almost like when you see a concept here and the template's seams are shown in black lines.  Also with the collar - it's just too much.

I don't get what the purpose of the giant-invasive V-seam is.  I thought they were touting how their previous "seamless" template was as good as it gets.  I'd think that having more seams would be a downgrade.

I’ve said this before either in this thread or the CFB thread, but I’ve heard from people inside the Oregon program that this new template fits tighter to the pads and isn’t as easy to grab as the Vapor Untouchable. Oregon players have been wearing the template since 2019, and were testing it for a couple years before that. Overall reviews have been very positive from what I’ve heard.The VU template was pretty much perfect in terms of aesthetics, but functionally I think it was almost too bare bones. I think there should be a middle ground between how few seams there were on that template and how many seams there are on the FUSE, but at least it’s consistent fabric still instead of having different fabrics on different panels like the Elite 51, Speed Machine, and Mach Speed templates.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I shouldn't need to know what "fuse", "elite 51", "speed machine", "mach speed", "vapor untouchable", etc. are.   The fact that we're even using those terms here indicates that Nike has won.

How the hell can anything fit closer to the pads than the last template?  It was as tight as tight gets.  Once it gets to a certain point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.  I can't believe that there's any noticeable difference in terms of "tighter to the pads" between this and the previous one.  

• Like 10

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

The only challenge is the "Carmichael uniform" would be pretty difficult to replicate on a modern jersey template. I personally agree with OSV and think it would be worth it to create a cleaned up sleeve and go with it.

Of course, those jerseys aren't Kelly green so there would be no hype ::shrug:: --

Really?  I definitely think of the "Carmichael" jersey (1974 to 1984) as Kelly Green, as much as the "Reggie White" jersey (1985 to 1995) is.  According to TruColor.net the Eagles referred to both colors as Kelly green.  And the Pantone values (again, according to TruColor.net) are 342C for the '74 - '84 and 349C for '85 - '95.  Very similar.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's very hard to distinguish between the "Jaworski" green and the "Cunningham" green.

These throwbacks actually look closer to the 30s-60s green.

(graphic taken from uni-watch)

422a6c64-fa8c-4375-8171-f81b9c747a21_210

11 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

So at what point in time did the Eagles originally wear these?

Analysis: Eagles Offense Was Cruising Before Vick's Quad Injury - Acme  Packing Company

That was for the 50th anniversary of the 1960 championship team.

9781935592105_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Yeah I agree, I mentioned under the Bucs how the new template is a negative on all of them - the Vapor Untouchable template was essentially perfect.

• Like 4

It's the blue hue in the Jaworski/Carmichael era green that to me just looks more like midnight green than Kelly, though I was born in 1990 so the most common reference of it I have is the Super Bowl, where the lighting made those uniforms look pretty drab. But most photos I can find it looks really dark. 

Did these look way more close to Kelly green IRL or something? What am I missing here? 

John Smallwood: Hall of Fame should find room for 1980 Eagles

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's very hard to distinguish between the "Jaworski" green and the "Cunningham" green.

These throwbacks actually look closer to the 30s-60s green.

(graphic taken from uni-watch)

422a6c64-fa8c-4375-8171-f81b9c747a21_210

The 74-84 green seems like the best bet for a rebrand if they were to go that direction -- it recalls the midnight green while still lightening back up to what can, broadly speaking, be called "kelly green." I think green and silver are a neat combination, but the Eagles have never had a uniform I've truly liked.

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

It's the blue hue in the Jaworski/Carmichael era green that to me just looks more like midnight green than Kelly, though I was born in 1990 so the most common reference of it I have is the Super Bowl, where the lighting made those uniforms look pretty drab. But most photos I can find it looks really dark. 

Did these look way more close to Kelly green IRL or something? What am I missing here? 

Yeah, the pictures and video you come across are generally pretty drab from 40 years ago, but I think that's more of a case of pre-HD imaging.  I remember seeing some Eagles gear in person, and it wasn't even in the neighborhood of the current midnight "green".  If you'd asked me, off the top of my head I would've said the green didn't even change at all in '85 (especially the helmet, which I bet didn't change at all), but apparently it did slightly.

spacer.png

• Love 1

Would be interesting if the Eagles merged these throwbacks with their current set.  Not exactly sure how.  If someone did some mock-ups of their current set in Kelly Green and the throwbacks in Midnight Green, that’d be a fun starting point. 

I’d suggest retaining the current logo & helmet wings but ditching Midnight for Kelly:

583682981ee2b1af09e5ba17f12075b6.jpg

Kelly Green helmet with a Black facemask:

s-l1200.jpg

Keep the current jerseys' Black collars and cuffs, body changed to Kelly, but use the throwback number font. 

Keep the current White pant with Green & Black stripe, swapped from Midnight to Kelly, and the solid sets of Black socks and White socks they wear now.  Have a Grey/Silver pant also.  No more Green pants.

I'm reminded of how good Kelly & Black have looked at Marshall over the years: 

342696883_647361607232354_61944961456310

usa-today-9017082.0.jpg

IMG_3820online.jpg

We'd inevitably get Black alts, but the Kelly Green pops so much better off of Black than Midnight Green does:

5fb067b6225c4.hires.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

Apparently they were touting the design. It's marketing. Some things become popular even if it's not expected. This doesn't seem to be the case 😁

4 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I wonder if the club has an archive where the original helmet and uniform of that time can be found? To see it not in pictures, but in live. A photo may not show the real colours. Especially if it's an old photo.

The Jaworski green was a little before my time (I was alive, but didn't really get into football other than football cards until '87-'88) but I obviously saw countless highlights and had countless cards, and they looked different in nearly every single one.  They looked nearly 'midnight green' in some photos, bright 'kelly' green in others, and every shade in between.  Between the shade of green and the material, it looked considerably different under every lighting and photograph.

Also, merch from that era is meaningless.  They just used whatever green they had on hand for the few hats and t-shirts that were available.  They didn't care about pantone values (if that even existed).  Green was green.

It's shocking to me that while I consider the Cunningham set to be "my" set that I grew up with, I really only watched it for 9 years, while I've seen midnight green for 27 years, and the current version for 20.

It think that says two things:

1. They're remarkably restrained in that they haven't made a single noticeable change in 20 years, and have had the same uniform in spirit for 27.

2.  The effect that childhood has on things.  I still look at 'midnight green' as their "new" uniforms, even though the ratio of midnight to kelly in my lifetime is 3:1.  While I'm a fan of the current look, the Cunningham set will always be "my" set.  I'm not advocating for them to "go back" to it (especially since it doesn't really look the same), but it's still "my" set.

• Like 2

It's funny, I got into football as a kid when the Eagles switched to midnight green in 1996/1997. That's all I know personally and yet I have nostalgia for the 49ers Montana era look, likely because I live in the Bay Area and Montana era stuff was all over.  Midnight green Eagles is all I know and yet I still believe kelly green is the superior look.

I remember I played Madden '97 when I was six years old and they had the '83 Eagles in there and I saw the green bird logo and was like "Wow what?" I want to go on record and say the full bird logo sucks as a sports logo. It's just not a logo to put anywhere.

bSLCtu2.png

They’re wearing them against the Dolphins and Bills??? WTF - not the Giants, Cowboys, 49ers, or any NFL rival?  That’s a choice. 

• Like 4