NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

7 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Is this it for new NFL uniform elements this year? Or do we have evidence that another alternate helmet, etc. is still coming?

A lot of Bills fans think a throwback may be coming. Josh Allen teased people with a red helmet at practice last season. I can't tell if it's just fans wishcasting or if there's actually a chance, but we should find out soon. 

49 minutes ago, BBTV said:

They’re wearing them against the Dolphins and Bills??? WTF - not the Giants, Cowboys, 49ers, or any NFL rival?  That’s a choice. 

Not even on Christmas and only TWO games and not THREE. 

Who the hell runs these uniform schedules that teams have? They're all so disjointed. The Bucs, Vikings and Eagles all have really beloved throwbacks and they're not maxing out the usage and against bad matchups too because... reasons?

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

7 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Who the hell runs these uniform schedules that teams have? They're all so disjointed. The Bucs, Vikings and Eagles all have really beloved throwbacks and they're not maxing out the usage and against bad matchups too because... reasons?

I'm guessing this means we still get the all-black uniforms with the midnight green helmets for a game. The Eagles have worn black against the Giants every season since 2014 except for 2017, and that game is a standalone game on Christmas this year. Feels like we can at least pencil that in as the black-out game for Philly. 

12 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I guess they wanted a SNF game and a Thanksgiving / Black Friday-ish game so they can maximize holiday sales. 

8 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Weren’t the Eagles the team advocating for three helmets?

They definitely were the ones lobbying for two. I don’t recall hearing them saying anything about three. As far as I know, the black was a one-year deal just until the throwback was permitted. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

They’re wearing them against the Dolphins and Bills??? WTF - not the Giants, Cowboys, 49ers, or any NFL rival?  That’s a choice. 

I agree these are poor choices. All AFC Teams and both likely will be in all-white. How exciting. 

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

1. They're remarkably restrained in that they haven't made a single noticeable change in 20 years, and have had the same uniform in spirit for 27.

What?  I did not know that the current Eagles set is as old as me. I just kind of assumed it was an early-mid 00s thing.

Though my first real concrete memory of the Eagles was Donovan McNabb on the cover of Madden 06, so it's not like I was taking notice of the Eagles all that much back them.

IbjBaeE.png

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-kelly-green-uniforms-became-reality-inside-story

Nike developed the custom-made color for the product – the Kelly Green is not in the Pantone color of Nike – and the Eagles will wear the new fabric, which is more breathable and made from all recycled materials.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

The Dolphins and Bills? Sure Eagles, you had plenty of other matchups you could have worn the throwback with. Looking at your home games, Kelly Green could have been worn against another team from the NFC East, the 49ers, the Vikings, heck, even the Cardinals. With alternate uniforms, I wish teams would stop wearing alternate uniforms versus interconfertnce opponents. These teams only come to your stadium once every eight years. I don't mind it for throwbacks if the opposing team is wearing an era accurate uniform/throwback as well, but that rarely happens.

And ofc, it seems like they're still gonna wear their Black jerseys some point this season too, with them only wearing the Kelly Greens two times.

da0Lbhs.png

On 7/29/2023 at 7:19 PM, Nick72Phins said:

I like to think someone in the marketing department pitched the Dallas game as an homage to the infamous Thanksgiving snow game in '93, in which the Dolphins wore these uniforms, and how this is the 30th anniversary of that game. Probably just a coincidence though.

• Like 2

ClAFLDa.png

3 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

I like to think someone in the marketing department pitched the Dallas game as an homage to the infamous Thanksgiving snow game in '93, in which the Dolphins wore these uniforms, and how this is the 30th anniversary of that game. Probably just a coincidence though.

They didn't wear these ^^^ throwbacks in that game, but what they wore was better than the current throwback. They stopped wearing the gray facemask after the 1979 season. 

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

spacer.png

12 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Would be interesting if the Eagles merged these throwbacks with their current set.  Not exactly sure how.  If someone did some mock-ups of their current set in Kelly Green and the throwbacks in Midnight Green, that’d be a fun starting point. 

I’d suggest retaining the current logo & helmet wings but ditching Midnight for Kelly:

583682981ee2b1af09e5ba17f12075b6.jpg

Kelly Green helmet with a Black facemask:

s-l1200.jpg

Keep the current jerseys' Black collars and cuffs, body changed to Kelly, but use the throwback number font. 

Keep the current White pant with Green & Black stripe, swapped from Midnight to Kelly, and the solid sets of Black socks and White socks they wear now.  Have a Grey/Silver pant also.  No more Green pants.

I'm reminded of how good Kelly & Black have looked at Marshall over the years: 

342696883_647361607232354_61944961456310

usa-today-9017082.0.jpg

IMG_3820online.jpg

We'd inevitably get Black alts, but the Kelly Green pops so much better off of Black than Midnight Green does:

5fb067b6225c4.hires.jpg

I've always t really enjoyed Marshall's particular hue of kelly green. That said, in my mind, this is the particular shade the JETS should double down on. I mean, they are Gang Green, after all—AND they represent New York. They should be as distinctively green as humanly possible....

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, BigEd76 said:

So the most advanced sports apparel company in the world had to call in scientists to replicate a pantone color.

I want to know how the fabric gets dyed for all other colors, because it sure seems like green is Nike's kryptonite (fully intended).

EDIT:

And the helmet - which Nike has nothing to do with - doesn't even look close.  I'm being overly harsh here, and overall I'm fine with what they did, but I don't buy that they put that much effort into replicating the green when 1) they didn't, and 2) even if they did, the fabrics are so different that it wouldn't matter.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

fake edit: double post. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Looks like the Browns elf logo might not be at midfield next year. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvXo1_jrAem/

I'm guessing they go with the new Dawg Pound logo? or maybe the 1946 football? As someone who literally had a dog in the fight, this one is going to hurt bad. But I'm happy for the person who won. It's a solid logo and much better than some of the other potential options. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, plastictaxicab said:

Pardon the sub-par helmet dit (and quick attempt at more silver than gray pants), but looks pretty nice:

spacer.png

The 80s helmet wings on a midnight-green shell would look great.

I've never been a fan of the cartoon-wings they adopted in '96.  I'd be cool with a midnight-green version of the 80s/early-90s uniform... maybe with the current Eagle logo on the sleeve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

The Dolphins and Bills? Sure Eagles, you had plenty of other matchups you could have worn the throwback with. Looking at your home games, Kelly Green could have been worn against another team from the NFC East, the 49ers, the Vikings, heck, even the Cardinals. With alternate uniforms, I wish teams would stop wearing alternate uniforms versus interconfertnce opponents. These teams only come to your stadium once every eight years. I don't mind it for throwbacks if the opposing team is wearing an era accurate uniform/throwback as well, but that rarely happens.

Unless they meet again because of the same place finisher that's now a thing. Courtesy of the 17 game implementation.

• Like 1