College Football 2023

Rixaroo

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Teams with a stripe-less gold helmet (UCLA, FLA St. Dame, etc.) look good in stripe-less gold pants. Michigan, I think, looks good in stripe-less pants, but that just might be because I'm used to it. My guess is that if Michigan had always had a narrow navy blue pants stripe I'd think it looks good and would have trouble picturing them without it. IMO, that's about it. Every other team I can think of with blank pants would look better in some kind of stripe.

That includes Texas and Penn State. Both have had uniforms with pants stripes, and both definitely looked better...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Michigan is the odd one of the group, probably because it's just what we're used to. But I think it also works because the helmet is such an overwhelming design that the plain pants and jersey balance it out.

Penn State and Texas definitely need to add stripes back to their pants full time.

• Like 2

spacer.png

On 5/10/2023 at 10:13 AM, NH4 said:

4_wide.jpg

8_long.jpg

7_wide.jpg

5_long.jpg

Basically the Barry Sanders uniforms with the updated word mark on the chest and 2 white jerseys. Pretty good

Screen-Shot-2016-03-02-at-5.01.56-PM.jpg

The uniforms are great, but one thing I thought of is if the bandana pattern is retired. I thought that was one of the cooler parts of the now previous uniform set. 

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png 

19 minutes ago, TGroce said:

Could be something to watch...

I'd be surprised to see UA let them walk, but if it happens I'd love to see what Nike and adidas are willing to do for that brand. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I was surprised by this list in the SI article:

"With an average annual value of about $9 million, Notre Dame’s apparel deal ranks in the top 10 nationally along with Texas (Nike), Louisville (Adidas), Kansas (Adidas), Washington (Adidas), Ohio State (Nike), Nebraska (Adidas), Michigan (Nike), Auburn (UA) and Wisconsin (UA)."

It seems like Adidas really overpays to stay in the game

37 minutes ago, TGroce said:

"With an average annual value of about $9 million, Notre Dame’s apparel deal ranks in the top 10 nationally along with Texas (Nike), Louisville (Adidas), Kansas (Adidas), Washington (Adidas), Ohio State (Nike), Nebraska (Adidas), Michigan (Nike), Auburn (UA) and Wisconsin (UA)."

Some of those seem to be a case of taking risks on the next big thing in college football and basketball as far as program strength. It's not surprising that Kansa and Louisville lead the pack in money coming from adidas, because basketball and other sports boost them up more than football does. Nebraska is basically the legacy kid at this point because they haven't been relevant since moving to the Big Ten.  but they've been with them so long they can't force Nebraska to take a pay cut. 

24 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

I could really see ND becoming a Jordan school

I think Nike's original plan was to limit each league to one Jordan team, but I think with the team being that close to Chicago they would have to be a Jordan team if Nike gets the contract. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, TGroce said:

Its why A&M is with Adidas. We switched to them in 2007 because they offered way more than Nike would. Nike knows schools want them and they dont need to throw out top dollar to everyone unless the school is delivering for them,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I could really see ND becoming a Jordan school

I don't think ND has the Jordan je ne se quoi.  I also don't see them putting an idol of a non-catholic man on their uniforms.

6 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

I'd like to see Notre Dame go with Nike, I don't see them as a Jordan team.

I would bet they probably stay with Under Armour though, the AD's son works there.

Sometimes money is thicker than blood.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I hope Notre Dame leave UA just so they can have bigger numbers on their football uniforms. Why are the numbers so small on UA’s football uniforms? The UA number font is too skinny too. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 5/11/2023 at 3:40 PM, WestCoastBias said:

I'd like to see Notre Dame go with Nike, I don't see them as a Jordan team.

I would bet they probably stay with Under Armour though, the AD's son works there.

Totally agree with this.  Also, if ND switches I wouldn't mind seeing them tweek the pants color.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:46 AM, 8BW14 said:

I hope Notre Dame leave UA just so they can have bigger numbers on their football uniforms. Why are the numbers so small on UA’s football uniforms? The UA number font is too skinny too. 

This is what I meant to quote.  Totally agree that the ND uni numbers are too small and thin.  Also, not a fan of the current tint of UA's version of ND's pants.

23 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

BoilerUniforms 🚂 on Twitter: "More details from my guy ...

Have we brought this up yet? 

I believe it was mentioned last offseason that Illinois was gonna wear those uniforms one last season in 2022 and then get new ones for 2023. 

• Like 5

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I believe it was mentioned last offseason that Illinois was gonna wear those uniforms one last season in 2022 and then get new ones for 2023. 

Curious what direction they go.  It'd be nice if they added, I dunno, anything to give their uniforms flavor.  They pivoted so damn hard post-Chief that they've left themselves virtually nothing to lean on branding-wise.  "Hail to the Orange" doesn't really mean anything besides "go orange team," and they refuse to adopt a mascot, so....what now?

The helmet they revealed in 2021 feels like the optimal and timeless helmet they can trot out game in and game out:

2021-1-illinois-vs-nebraska-v2.png?16301

My guess is they'll add a little bit more white and probably return to a block numeral.

Maybe a couple touches from the Butkus era?  Dunno.  The uniforms could stand to have a little bit more but they should stay the course and not have a boatload of alts.  Iconify the helmet, embrace the orange, and introduce a pinch of flavor.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 5
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter