College Football 2023

Rixaroo

I'm not positive, but I think they basically buy blank uniforms from Nike and then apply all of the graphics, numbers, etc.

I also have no clue how the financials work. Is Nike paying Cal? is BSN? are they both?

Will Nike produce and sell Cincy/ Cal gear? Will BSN be responsible for that? No idea.
t6osTaR.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

LEARFIELD unveils new name of tradition-rich Cotton Bowl meeting between Oklahoma and Texas

New Red River Rivalry logo. Previously it was the AT&T Red River Rivalry, and then the Red River Showdown.

Speaking of Allstate, they are also the sponsor of the newly created Crossbar Classic. Rather than some natural-site game getting a bowl treatment by getting a sponsor and name, LEARFIELD has created a game name and will slap it on an early season game that they want extra focus on.

https://www.learfield.com/2023/07/learfield-allstate-deliver-bowl-season-vibes-in-september-with-new-crossbar-classic/

crossbar-1080x675.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Speaking of Allstate, they are also the sponsor of the newly created Crossbar Classic. Rather than some natural-site game getting a bowl treatment by getting a sponsor and name, LEARFIELD has created a game name and will slap it on an early season game that they want extra focus on.

https://www.learfield.com/2023/07/learfield-allstate-deliver-bowl-season-vibes-in-september-with-new-crossbar-classic/

crossbar-1080x675.png

Wasn't this something they did with the Kickoff Classic, or some other early season game? They'd have the main Kickoff Classic at the Meadowlands and another game that rotated to one big Week 1 game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Wasn't this something they did with the Kickoff Classic, or some other early season game? They'd have the main Kickoff Classic at the Meadowlands and another game that rotated to one big Week 1 game. 

Yes. The Pigskin Classic which started as a neutral site game in Anaheim then it became a home game. Both the Kickoff Classic and Pigskin Classic served as a special game that allowed the participating teams to play 12 games in a year back when the college football season was only 11 games. They both died off when the season expanded to 12 games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Here is the rest of the home uniform. Grey has been removed from the shoulder stripes so what was previously a W-G-W pattern is now W-M-W. The team wordmark has also been removed from above the numbers. The white and grey neck collar has been replaced with maroon. The M-State logo is added to the bottom of the collar which is didnt think was possible with this new Adidas template.

2022 Mississippi State primary uniform

1285158257.jpg

All I can think of for the jersey is Nebraska, but in maroon. Pretty underwhelmed here. I thought they had a good thing going by having gray in the color palette. 

3 hours ago, Rygi13 said:

Cal Golden Bears new uniforms

Our first look at the new Cal "Nike" uniforms provided by BSN same provider as Cincinnati. They carry over the same shoulder stripes from UA. However the "Cal" script on the chest seems really really low due to the FUSE template.

Overall, I'm impressed. BSN was able to create a unique uniform with custom striping and not just an off-the-shelf Nike template.

LxfIpiX.jpgWiszz8T.jpgxdEnI9p.jpg
wNbYj8S.jpg

Better look at pant stripe:
fSJXZnC.jpg

Glad the Sather Stripe is staying! It's a great signature element that doesn't need to be changed.  I think the Vapor FUSE template downgrades the look, but other than that, no complaints.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, cajunaggie08 said:

And before that it was the Red River Shootout

red-river-shootout.png

I prefer the RRS name but that logo is horrifying.

Red River Rivalry is a mouthful. I think it's impossible to say it 5 times fast without sounding like you have a mouthful of marbles.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

"Showdown" only makes people miss "Shootout." At least with "Rivalry" it feels like the formal name while fans can still call it the shootout (as I'm sure they do).

Re: Mississippi State - ditching the gray was a mistake, I loved their look overall and the SEC has so much dark red and white already. But I actually like the "State" script, which looks pretty up close. Ironically, I find their primary logo feels more generic. And I enjoy when teams try to own "State" in spite of it being the most common thing in college (MSU and PSU have done this at various points and I dig it).

• Like 5

20 hours ago, solvetica said:

Ok, Adidas is knocking their unis out of the park this year. I'm shocked.

Can someone ELI5 how BSN and Nike worked together? I'm not really following... Nike worked with Cal for the design, they are using the Nike Fuse template... how does BSN factor in - Are they the materials provider?

They’re a wholesaler. They are the middle man between Nike and the school

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 8:39 AM, Clintau24 said:

Under Armour canceled their deal with Cincinnati way back in 2020. They paid $10 million to end the deal early.  They had time.

BSN has been growing rapidly lately. They handle a ton of high schools and clearly looking to move up with colleges. I've heard that, at least by one account, they aren't great to work with and cut corners for even high schools, so who knows what this relationship will look like. 

Is it possible that the new coach just decided he wants something simpler? Or, more likely, he wanted something and Nike needs time to put it together? With Cal, there's nothing that jumps out and say Under Armour quite like the Cincinnati uniforms did. 

21 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Cal looks almost identical to their Under Armour set, which was pretty good. For a BSN/Nike deal, that’s great. Hopefully this is indicative of what that partnership can accomplish for other teams, and less so what we saw from Cincinnati. Cal appears to be going back to a gloss helmet instead of the satin they’ve worn from the last few years.

I feel like they could have put the Cal logo on the collar and still keep the overall feel of that original design. At least they didn't ditch the look, because it still works.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, cajunaggie08 said:

Here is the rest of the home uniform. Grey has been removed from the shoulder stripes so what was previously a W-G-W pattern is now W-M-W. The team wordmark has also been removed from above the numbers. The white and grey neck collar has been replaced with maroon. The M-State logo is added to the bottom of the collar which is didnt think was possible with this new Adidas template.

2022 Mississippi State primary uniform

1285158257.jpg

Another Adidas downgrade. Although really, they should have never ditched these.

spacer.png

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

A Stylish New STATEment - Mississippi State

I actually like that they got rid of the wordmark that they were using.  I don't like the State cursive design on the helmet though.  The M-State logo is all they needed to have there. 

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just a sneak peak but happy to see white outline on player numbers return and the state flag removed from the chest.

• Like 1

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Another Adidas downgrade. Although really, they should have never ditched these.

spacer.png

I hated these. These were a copy of aTm but worse. Mixing one singular racing stripe with sleeve stripes was such a poor choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJM said:

Just a sneak peak but happy to see white outline on player numbers return and the state flag removed from the chest.

I'll be honest -- the state flag was subtle enough for me that I did not even know it was there. Looking at old pics and I kinda like it.

Looks like they are adding it back though on the side of the jersey though? Seems like an odd placement but I'll withhold judgement for now.

• Like 1

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

From a design perspective, I like the way the State script looks on MSU's helmets. They are really the only SEC school that uses 'State' (LSU doesn't really count in my eyes), so maybe owning that is a good thing.

That said, it's generic enough that it's giving me Fansville vibes. Might need a bulldog or something to go with it.

spacer.png

I think I'm going to miss the gray a bit, as I liked them having a tertiary color to differentiate from A&M. The Egg Bowl alternates were completely over the top but maybe having a touch of gold could work for them.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, j'villejags said:

I'll be honest -- the state flag was subtle enough for me that I did not even know it was there. Looking at old pics and I kinda like it.

Looks like they are adding it back though on the side of the jersey though? Seems like an odd placement but I'll withhold judgement for now.

That seems to be the template for adidas this year putting the flag on the side, nc state has the same treatment

• Like 1