College Football 2023

Rixaroo

10 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Just for the sake of posting visual aids and because I watched part of this game last night, Wyoming at UNLV was pretty solid:

spacer.png

Wyo really has one of the best uniform sets in CFB. There's something to be said about applying a rather nontraditional colorway to a traditional template; it just "does" something. That plus their own (upgraded) custom number font--and the fact that THANKFULLY--and let's hope this holds--they've yet to delve into unnecessary gray or black alternates (or, if memory serves me correctly, really any alternates aside from their yellow jerseys, now that I think about it).

I think the only other thing I'd like to see them try out with this current set is a pair of brown pants with the same braisher stripe as their brown jerseys. I don't think they've had brown pants of any kind since sometime around the mid-late '90s when Marcus Harris was tearing up receiving records.

(Kind of a funny coincidence: the guy who ended up breaking Harris' all-time receiving records also wore brown...well, sometimes...while in college. Want a further mindfreak? That guy's college head coach currently coaches the CFB team that plays in Harris' hometown...)

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

Wyo really has one of the best uniform sets in CFB. There's something to be said about applying a rather nontraditional colorway to a traditional template; it just "does" something. That plus their own (upgraded) custom number font--and the fact that THANKFULLY--and let's hope this holds--they've yet to delve into unnecessary gray or black alternates (or, if memory serves me correctly, really any alternates aside from their yellow jerseys, now that I think about it).

I think the only other thing I'd like to see them try out with this current set is a pair of brown pants with the same braisher stripe as their brown jerseys. I don't think they've had brown pants of any kind since sometime around the mid-late '90s when Marcus Harris was tearing up receiving records.

(Kind of a funny coincidence: the guy who ended up breaking Harris' all-time receiving records also wore brown...well, sometimes...while in college. Want a further mindfreak? That guy's college head coach currently coaches the CFB team that plays in Harris' hometown...)

d81f3f96736829d7ee2d408a46f00ce1.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Facepalm 3

Ohio State definitely appeared to be using a dark gray last night than normal for their jerseys and pants. Their helmets usually match pretty well for their other games, but they looked like the Lions Color Rush last night with a darker gray. I don’t believe it was a case of different materials and lighting. For comparison:

https://images.app.goo.gl/xpiqtzcDFnjFmZba9

https://images.app.goo.gl/X6ihUDoPdKgZsFJR9

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

45 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

Ohio State definitely appeared to be using a dark gray last night than normal for their jerseys and pants. Their helmets usually match pretty well for their other games, but they looked like the Lions Color Rush last night with a darker gray. I don’t believe it was a case of different materials and lighting. For comparison:

https://images.app.goo.gl/xpiqtzcDFnjFmZba9

https://images.app.goo.gl/X6ihUDoPdKgZsFJR9

So you think they had an entirely new set of pants created that are a slightly darker gray?  For this once a year combo?

Not out of the question I guess, but seems surprising.  

25 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So you think they had an entirely new set of pants created that are a slightly darker gray?  For this once a year combo?

Not out of the question I guess, but seems surprising.  

I’m not exactly sure, I’m just saying it definitely looked darker to me than their normal gray pants. Their normal gray pants seem much lighter than the ones last night. Perhaps they made a whole new set of pants for a whole new jersey to be worn together. Not sure why they’d go with a darker gray though.

1 hour ago, kaleb_girod said:

I’m not exactly sure, I’m just saying it definitely looked darker to me than their normal gray pants. Their normal gray pants seem much lighter than the ones last night. Perhaps they made a whole new set of pants for a whole new jersey to be worn together. Not sure why they’d go with a darker gray though.

As it turns out, you are correct, sir.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/news/2023/11/7/ohio-state-to-wear-gray-uniforms

"Ohio State has worn various alternate versions of its uniform 33 times since 2009, including jersey/pant combinations of white/gray, scarlet/gray, white/white, black/black, gray/gray and scarlet/scarlet.

The newest alternate uniform will feature steel-gray jersey and pants, a slightly darker shade than the traditional uniform pants, and will feature Ohio State's home stripe pattern on the sleeves and pants. The jerseys pop with scarlet numbers and white edging on the front, back and shoulders, in addition to scarlet Big Ten and Nike logos, and the primary Ohio State logo at the crest of the chest. 

All-gray socks will complete the look. The team will wear its traditional helmet."

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

As it turns out, you are correct, sir.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/news/2023/11/7/ohio-state-to-wear-gray-uniforms

"Ohio State has worn various alternate versions of its uniform 33 times since 2009, including jersey/pant combinations of white/gray, scarlet/gray, white/white, black/black, gray/gray and scarlet/scarlet.

The newest alternate uniform will feature steel-gray jersey and pants, a slightly darker shade than the traditional uniform pants, and will feature Ohio State's home stripe pattern on the sleeves and pants. The jerseys pop with scarlet numbers and white edging on the front, back and shoulders, in addition to scarlet Big Ten and Nike logos, and the primary Ohio State logo at the crest of the chest. 

All-gray socks will complete the look. The team will wear its traditional helmet."

Thanks for finding this. Seeing the game and photos from last night I knew it had to be a slightly darker shade than they normally use for the pants. I guess they figured the darker steel gray would provide better contrast to the red numbers. Either way, it reminded me exactly of the Lions.

It still bugs me though. I guess why not just use the same shade as normal (looking at you too Lions). I know it will never match perfectly because of different materials and all, but it looks worse when the helmet is an entirely different shade than the rest. The promo photos looked like it matched better.

21 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

Thanks for finding this. Seeing the game and photos from last night I knew it had to be a slightly darker shade than they normally use for the pants. I guess they figured the darker steel gray would provide better contrast to the red numbers. Either way, it reminded me exactly of the Lions.

My guess is that they did it to provide a better contrast against the road team's white jersey.  There was never any way that tOSU was going to let a visiting team wear home colors in the shoe.

You're right, though, that the promo images looked like a lighter shade of gray...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

My guess is that they did it to provide a better contrast against the road team's white jersey.  There was never any way that tOSU was going to let a visiting team wear home colors in the shoe.

You're right, though, that the promo images looked like a lighter shade of gray...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was mildly surprised by how much contrast there was, compared to the. "grey wolf" uniforms vs Penn State. That's probably why the grey was darker. Personally, I've always wanted a darker pair of pants than what they traditionally wear and I'd love if they kept these over the regular britches.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yep, the promo photos made it look like the helmets were going to match the rest. Actual game, not so much. That photo shows a huge difference.

And yeah, you may be right about the contrast against the visiting team’s white. I never quite thought of that myself.

I'd be okay with the all grays becoming a permanent road alternate for Ohio State. Would look a lot better if they other team wasn't wearing white jerseys. In addition to that, like someone else mentioned adding a second black outline to the numbers could be a nice touch. So the numbers would have the same color pattern as the stripes.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

20 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'd be okay with the all grays becoming a permanent road alternate for Ohio State. Would look a lot better if they other team wasn't wearing white jerseys. In addition to that, like someone else mentioned adding a second black outline to the numbers could be a nice touch. So the numbers would have the same color pattern as the stripes.

If they continue doing the all-gray set, but used the normal shade of gray they use for their current pants, they could do a similar “Wolf Gray” set like the Seahawks had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaleb_girod said:

If they continue doing the all-gray set, but used the normal shade of gray they use for their current pants, they could do a similar “Wolf Gray” set like the Seahawks had.

I thought they looked decent but would be curious what the set would look like if the jersey matched the normal pants.

I also wouldn't mind a non-monochrome gray jersey look. And/or perhaps a version using the double-decker stripes? They've basically exhausted the "color rush" looks they've been doing, so I'm curious if they'll continue to rotate them like they have with the blackout or what they might move to next in terms of developing alts.

5 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I thought they looked decent but would be curious what the set would look like if the jersey matched the normal pants.

I also wouldn't mind a non-monochrome gray jersey look. And/or perhaps a version using the double-decker stripes? They've basically exhausted the "color rush" looks they've been doing, so I'm curious if they'll continue to rotate them like they have with the blackout or what they might move to next in terms of developing alts.

Like another person said, the normal gray probably would’ve been too light to provide contrast against white jerseys, this going with a darker gray. I would also like to see that look as well with the lighter gray, but like I said it would probably be like the Seahawks wolf gray set. For reference, the Seahawks normal pants are wolf gray as well.

Some of my favorite Week 11 matchups:

img_21875059.jpg

What a classic look!

OQJ7LTBWUBEUDBMYX4E2GOE2NI.jpg

A rare time where all white actually looks fantastic IMO

Makhi_Hughes_0215_c.jpg

Using powder blue, dark green, and gold in one matchup feels like cheating.

80b7145d83f54efea524c51a7d50a7f0

Two simple but great templates.

The two worst matchups IMO, both feature a few of the 50 shades of grey at home. 

213f5e6666904bab8062d646cc2d176fWhy WVU went all white against all-anthracite is not for me to say.

3724e-16997460399367-1920.jpg?w=840

Arizona almost saved the day with their generic Dick's Sporting Goods red pants. 

• Like 12

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif