2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

6 minutes ago, Cujo said:

This Dbacks run really reeks of the 2007 Rockies.

Gonna fluke their way into the playoffs. Sweep their way thru the NL. Then meet a juggernaut who will absolutely dismantle them in the World Series.

Probably gonna be HOU. Because as we saw last year, it's shaping up to be HOU vs 6 seed again

I'm not gonna whine about the playoff format, but unless ATL rallies the optics aren't exactly going to please some and the pitchforks from many will be out. Like, I fear we may be reaching a point where you're almost better off being a WC.

My idea is a simple one- reseed.

Like why should the lowest seed not play the highest seed? Imagine if that happened in the NFL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:
10 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

All Texas ALCS

jesus, no wonder this sport is dying.

The Astros' success is killing the sport.

Like me, do people tune out/ratings dip when they make it deep into the playoffs? Still disgusts me they won a WS by way of cheating, weren't punished, and have evolved into an AL dynasty. Sickening.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

There's a deep emptiness at the heart of the Texas Rangers that makes their success uniquely depressing from afar. We as a nation couldn't do better than this?

The soulless, generic, Texasness of their stadium really bums me out. It's like the over-sized coal rolling pickup truck of stadiums. It's like they said "what if Enron Field was worse?" 

The cheating sucks, but since then I've grown to begrudgingly give the Astros credit. 7 straight ALCS appearances in this era of playoff baseball when good teams can get swept out in 2 if they catch a cold at the wrong time, is nothing to sneeze at. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Sport said:

The soulless, generic, Texasness of their stadium really bums me out. It's like the over-sized coal rolling pickup truck of stadiums. It's like they said "what if Enron Field was worse?" 

The cheating sucks, but since then I've grown to begrudgingly give the Astros credit. 7 straight ALCS appearances in this era of playoff baseball when good teams can get swept out in 2 if they catch a cold at the wrong time, is nothing to sneeze at. 

They built that Costco Warehouse that they play in, so that fans can actually show up to games in June, July and August on an Afternoon.  Even when they were winning at the old Ballpark (which is now an awkward looking football/soccer stadium for FC Dallas' developmental MLS Next Pro Team North Texas SC, the Dallas Jackals of Major League Rugby and Arlington Renegades of the XFL and Arlington ISD Football.  It's long term future is uncertain), they couldn't get any fans at games on an Afternoon from June to August and it was only full during Primetime (when the team was winning), when the sun was down.  Nobody was going to games (even when they were winning) when the temperature was 108 degrees outside on a Weekday Afternoon on Getaway Day.

I have been down there in Arlington.  The current stadium is next to the old stadium, with Jerry World also next door to the current stadium but adjacent to the old one.   It's not empty, it's a Battery Atlanta type area down there, but instead of one stadium like in Atlanta, it's three stadiums.