2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

The only change the Ducks needed to make in 2006 was the removal of the word "Mighty" from their name...  Everything else should have stayed exactly the same.  Imagine if the cup had been lifted in this jersey*...

*with an updated roundel of course
2gnb9Df.jpg

• Like 5

NHL.com article about Flyers draft

In seeing the new Flyers sweater, I like it more and more. The new orange is fascinating. It’s darker, but also somehow more vibrant. I think it’s because of the better contrast against the white, not making it feel as washed out. 

I like the new Ducks sweater in a vacuum, but knowing what we could have had is frustrating. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

39 minutes ago, Korkie said:

lol they Photoshopped the ad patch

33 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

With Anaheim unveiling this new jersey, does this mean the orange jersey is retired?

Yup, but it's not the first time. It briefly got shelved with the switch to Adizero, then they introduced the 25th Anniversary third, and then they brought the orange third back into rotation. Hopefully it returns again in 2024.

• Like 2

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, BoysClub said:

Your defense makes sense, but it seems like a weird decision to make for a professional organization. The jersey is almost completely inspired by pre-2006 jerseys and anything included from post-2006 seems forced, including the "est 2006". They are supposed to be celebrating 30 years as a franchise in the NHL, not splitting hairs and isolating specific events. Did current ownership really need the pat on their own back that bad?

It's not the ownership patting their backs and it's definitely not "splitting hairs and isolating specific events", it's almost the complete opposite because it's a pretty big moment in the 30 year history of the Ducks. They're a pretty unique case as a franchise in sports and it's acknowledging both distinct parts of their history.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

22 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

In-person image from the Ducks subreddit:

spacer.png

The :censored:'s the point of having the Webbed D there at all if it's going to be so small you'd need a microscope to see it on TV? Why'd they hop on the roundel train so late? How do you not at least fill the cuffs to match the hem? Why do you not even have the Mighty Ducks logo on the jersey as a shoulder patch?

I don't hate it, but can't say I like it either. The one from a few years ago was better, even if it was black.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Survival79 said:

The Centennial crest is nearly perfect. Perhaps add a black outline?

gpxWPk2.png

It's jarring when you see the Centennial crest next to the "current" crest. There's no way they go back to the "current" crest, right?

RDMECDW.png

If anything, I'd say they should stroke the inside of that yellow circle...form a rim around those spokes. From there I could take or leave keylining the exterior of the wheel, but yeah...defintiely needs that black inner stroke.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

20 hours ago, monkeypower said:

One sleeve says "Mighty Ducks est 1993" and the other sleeve says "Anaheim Ducks est 2006". 

It still says est 2006, and it's still wrong - the team didn't cease to exist as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and then refounded in 2006. It's the same organisation, and the designers still f***ed up by putting est 2006 on the jersey.

I like the idea of embossing the sleeve stripes, but for stuff like the waves on the new Sharks jerseys, not an inaccurate foundation date.

9 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

It still says est 2006, and it's still wrong - the team didn't cease to exist as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and then refounded in 2006. It's the same organisation, and the designers still f***ed up by putting est 2006 on the jersey.

I like the idea of embossing the sleeve stripes, but for stuff like the waves on the new Sharks jerseys, not an inaccurate foundation date.

They did cease to exist as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. No, they weren't refounded, but they did cease to exist as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2006.

Like I said the other person, the Ducks have a unique franchise history and they are choosing to acknowledge that unique history. People doesn't have to be so obtuse and/semantic about  what's essentially a jersey Easter egg for the Ducks fan who understand what it is trying to mean and what the dates mean.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

18 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

If we're being truly technical, then they kind of did; Disney owned the team as Mighty Ducks Hockey Club Inc, but the club since the Samuellis bought it is now Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club LLC. LLCs (or Limited liability companies) are legally distinct from corporations.

5 hours ago, Korkie said:

In seeing the new Flyers sweater, I like it more and more. The new orange is fascinating. It’s darker, but also somehow more vibrant. I think it’s because of the better contrast against the white, not making it feel as washed out. 

I like the new Ducks sweater in a vacuum, but knowing what we could have had is frustrating. 

Seeing the black numbers on the sleeves, with the black collar the black at the end of the arms, I am liking them a bit.

The new orange looks fantastic.

10 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

They did cease to exist as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. No, they weren't refounded, but they did cease to exist as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2006.

Like I said the other person, the Ducks have a unique franchise history and they are choosing to acknowledge that unique history. People doesn't have to be so obtuse and/semantic about  what's essentially a jersey Easter egg for the Ducks fan who understand what it is trying to mean and what the dates mean.

It's still the same organisation, the team still existed and weren't refounded as an expansion franchise. They already acknowledge that history with the Duck foot logo being incorporated into the main roundel, and the critism over the Est 2006 is justified.

People also have a right not to like script embossed into the sleeve stripes.

13 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

It's still the same organisation, the team still existed and weren't refounded as an expansion franchise. They already acknowledge that history with the Duck foot logo being incorporated into the main roundel, and the critism over the Est 2006 is justified.

People also have a right not to like script embossed into the sleeve stripes.

Like I said, it's a little Easter egg for the fans and the franchise who understand and recognize the significance of the dates. Yes, it is the same franchise but the Ducks as a franchise have always viewed the team in two distinct eras. I didn't realize we're dealing with legal documents of establishment that need to be followed to the letter.

If you really want to get specific here then, it should really say Est 1992 because they were awarded the franchise in 1992.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

As much as I love the eggplant and green for the nostalgia factor, their current scheme has grown on me and is a bit better suiting. It sort of fits the locale and has a SoCal sunset vibe going on. However, it's utilized horribly.  Current colors on this new jersey would look good, as would the orange uni template. But seriously, lose the stupid foot logo and go back to the mask and sticks. 

• Like 3

sig.png

18 hours ago, monkeypower said:

It's not the ownership patting their backs and it's definitely not "splitting hairs and isolating specific events", it's almost the complete opposite because it's a pretty big moment in the 30 year history of the Ducks. They're a pretty unique case as a franchise in sports and it's acknowledging both distinct parts of their history.

Maybe I am missing something from their history that makes it that unique. I thought there have been many cases of teams being bought and their name being changed. Even if I were to agree, I still think it is an awful way to acknowledge their history. Instead of combining key visuals from their jerseys over time in a way that conveys their message to the viewer, they decided to write it real big on the jersey. If the jersey was done well they wouldn't have to explain the purpose of the jersey on the arm stripes.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The only change the Ducks needed to make in 2006 was the removal of the word "Mighty" from their name...  Everything else should have stayed exactly the same.  Imagine if the cup had been lifted in this jersey*...

*with an updated roundel of course
2gnb9Df.jpg

They need to figure out the color issue with the crest.  The eggplant jersey only has a black-gray-yellow-white logo and the white jersey only has a black-jade-yellow-white-gray (just as shadowing) logo.  It never sat right with me that the crest was completely devoid of either one or two of the team's primary colors.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

VmWIn6B.png

30 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

As much as I love the eggplant and green for the nostalgia factor, their current scheme has grown on me and is a bit better suiting. It sort of fits the locale and has a SoCal sunset vibe going on. However, it's utilized horribly.

They've never been able to use the colour scheme effectively which makes me think that it's just not that great of a scheme to begin with.  The, dull as dishwater, cup-winning jerseys had just a small sliver of Orange while the current ones are completely suffocated with it...  Neither of them look good.

3C6iffh.jpgcEl3fYm.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoysClub said:

Maybe I am missing something from their history that makes it that unique. I thought there have been many cases of teams being bought and their name being changed.

I think it's the drastic rebrand combined with the fact that they won the franchise's only Stanley Cup immediately after changing the name. 

19 hours ago, tBBP said:

If anything, I'd say they should stroke the inside of that yellow circle...form a rim around those spokes. From there I could take or leave keylining the exterior of the wheel, but yeah...defintiely needs that black inner stroke.

cghMTUJ.png

• Like 8

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."