2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Someone really wanted these guys to look like some future "Rollerball" skating Megaman armored superheroes. The league wanted the guys in tight fitting jerseys for some reason. I remember going to the 2007 draft where they introduced the Blue Jackets new EDGE uniforms. They poured Jody Shelley and Dan Fritsche into those jerseys. Then the season came and every guy just wore the jerseys a few sizes bigger and then the jerseys started getting more tailored to a traditional hockey sweater cut. Still looks weird to look at those games and see those tight sleeves. 

When I was a kid, Brett Hull was my idol. In 1994, McDonalds had a 3 book set of comic books with Brett Hull as the super hero. The premise was that Brett Hull had to defeat these hockey robots in the future. 

Your description of the rebook era reminds me of those comic books 🤣

Golden Adventures of Brett Hull (1994 Patrick Company) 2 VG/FN 5.0

Side note, I have two sets of the comic books. One set that my dad let me read and another set still in the plastic. Thank god he made me save those 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

We keep talking about the 'Canes going back to red full time or how they need a matching uniform but let's not forget that these are still lurking in the shadows

NHL on X: "More #ReverseRetro action coming to your feeds. Up next: the  @Canes. 🔴⚫ 🇺🇸: @espn ➡️ https://t.co/TXFUBCXA2x 🇨🇦: @Sportsnet ➡️  https://t.co/otfhOuwh5x ️ https://t.co/WdTBIXX4sE" / X

If they wanted to keep that jersey around, they could've made that their alternate this year instead of their former home red, like Minnesota did with their RR 2.0; but they didn't, so clearly it wasn't popular enough to bring back.

The anniversary reds, though, were apparently popular enough and sold so well as to really make the Canes look at it and the white counterpart for use as a major part of their future uniform lineup. That, to me, suggests it's far more likely any new red Canes jersey would have a strong resemblance to that original red Canes jersey.

12 hours ago, ruttep said:

Where they should stay.

And ditch the white verions while they're at it. They should be using the original uniforms with no changes. Second choice would be their current reds with a matching white version. Anything else is just continuing the visual mess they started in 2013.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

And ditch the white verions while they're at it. They should be using the original uniforms with no changes. Second choice would be their current reds with a matching white version. Anything else is just continuing the visual mess they started in 2013.

Yeah, I never understood the 2013 rebrand. Their uniforms without the hurricane pattern didn't really have any character to them.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

If they wanted to keep that jersey around, they could've made that their alternate this year instead of their former home red, like Minnesota did with their RR 2.0; but they didn't, so clearly it wasn't popular enough to bring back.

The anniversary reds, though, were apparently popular enough and sold so well as to really make the Canes look at it and the white counterpart for use as a major part of their future uniform lineup. That, to me, suggests it's far more likely any new red Canes jersey would have a strong resemblance to that original red Canes jersey.

Probably yes, but i feel like they took the easy road for an introduction of these for an eventual switch to those full time (everyone was expecting a black version of their original red, wich would've sold like crazy) but since it didn't sell well they backed out at the last minute.... for now

On 2023-10-11 at 11:18 PM, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

Milan Lucic raises his stick to the crowd as he's introduced during Wednesday's pregame ceremony.

But this is getting into the same zone that last year's Penguins WC uniforms did, where I just feel like a cream base and gold trim end up clashing a bit. Though that one was better because it was more dark-color heavy. Just a lot of nice ideas dragged down by bad color choices from the Bruins this year!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ruttep said:

Yeah, I never understood the 2013 rebrand. Their uniforms without the hurricane pattern didn't really have any character to them.

Original reds > current reds > 2013 reds > original blacks > reverse retro reds > current blacks

Original whites > 2013 whites > current whites

But yeah, it made no sense. Doesn't help that those are associated with the worst period in franchise history.

3 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Probably yes, but i feel like they took the easy road for an introduction of these for an eventual switch to those full time (everyone was expecting a black version of their original red, wich would've sold like crazy) but since it didn't sell well they backed out at the last minute.... for now

I mean, their alternate from 2008-2016 was pretty much a black version of the originals, with only the logo changed. A straight black recolor wouldn't have been all that different from that.

It doesn't seem like they had many places to go with the reverse retro. Besides doing Whalers in black and red or Canes in green and blue (either of which would've been awful), never having changed colors in their history really limited their options for that.

They made it clear this offseason that they would've brought back the classic reds if they hadn't already committed to the current reds. These things are definitely planned ahead of time, so they definitely didn't plan to bring the reverse retros back at all.

The diagonal lettering is so synonymous with the Rangers that I don't think it looks right on anyone else.

• Like 3

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

Original reds > current reds > 2013 reds > original blacks > reverse retro reds > current blacks

Original whites > 2013 whites > current whites

Switch the original reds and current reds and you're right on the dark jerseys.

For the white jerseys, switch the original whites and 2013 whites.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

21 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I mean, their alternate from 2008-2016 was pretty much a black version of the originals, with only the logo changed. A straight black recolor wouldn't have been all that different from that.

Aside from the warning flag pattern, they didn't really carry much over from the red/white uniforms. The sleeve striping is completely different, and they used way more grey. A black jersey with the original striping, main logo on the chest, and white numbers instead of red would stand out on its own.

I've always thought a grey version of the originals would look good, but I can understand them not wanting to do another grey Reverse Retro.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I've always thought a grey version of the originals would look good, but I can understand them not wanting to do another grey Reverse Retro.

I strongly dislike grey jerseys in any sport besides baseball. Such a dull color. Grey jerseys often just end up looking like white jerseys with an inferior color base.

Popping in to briefly vent about Dubas requiring Pens goalies to wear white pads like it's still the dark (light?) era of goalie equipment in the late 20-aughts when everyone believed that one eye doctor who said it'd mess with opposing shooters. Jarry's black pads with the Pens' black uniform(s) was sick. Watching him wear white pads with their third jersey tonight just feels off.

oBIgzrL.png

12 minutes ago, maz said:

Popping in to briefly vent about Dubas requiring Pens goalies to wear white pads like it's still the dark (light?) era of goalie equipment in the late 20-aughts when everyone believed that one eye doctor who said it'd mess with opposing shooters. Jarry's black pads with the Pens' black uniform(s) was sick. Watching him wear white pads with their third jersey tonight just feels off.

I hate the reasoning behind it, but the white pads just look a whole lot better to my eyes.

The reasoning is awful of course.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

22 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Goalie pads are the least of the Pens' worries aesthetically. They have the most garish uniform ads in the league by a landslide.

They're definitely up there. Especially on the road. On a white, black, and gold uniform, you have a red and blue logo on the chest and a huge green logo on the helmet. Now, on the home uni, the chest ad is on par with a lot of teams out there with clashing chest ads. And the helmet ad matches in color and even has a penguin in it, but having the words "BOLD Penguin" feels corny as hell, even if it is an actual company (based in a division rival's city). Even then, I could at least attempt to tolerate it, if they didn't make both helmet ads MASSIVE.

I love this team, but everything about them off the ice has felt so stale, bland, and corporate-focus-group for years. Boring social media, lame in-game presentation, a sickening abundance of advertising and sponsorship activations everywhere you look in the arena - and this goes back years before COVID. I mean, know it's happening everywhere to some degree, but as soon as the NHL announced uni ads I knew the Pens would be one of the first to jump on and make a mess of it like they have. And yet, across town, the team owned by notorious cheapskate Bob Nutting has resisted uni ads for an entire season.

I've been holding that rant in for a long time.

• Applause 2

oBIgzrL.png

9 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Watching the Ducks-Bruins highlights, I find these Bruins jerseys to be a headscratcher.

I do like the simpler logo they're going with but the gold on the jerseys was a bad choice.

The jerseys just look washed out. Kind of like their reputation after last year's choke. The black socks don't help either.

3 hours ago, maz said:

They're definitely up there. Especially on the road. On a white, black, and gold uniform, you have a red and blue logo on the chest and a huge green logo on the helmet. Now, on the home uni, the chest ad is on par with a lot of teams out there with clashing chest ads. And the helmet ad matches in color and even has a penguin in it, but having the words "BOLD Penguin" feels corny as hell, even if it is an actual company (based in a division rival's city). Even then, I could at least attempt to tolerate it, if they didn't make both helmet ads MASSIVE.

I love this team, but everything about them off the ice has felt so stale, bland, and corporate-focus-group for years. Boring social media, lame in-game presentation, a sickening abundance of advertising and sponsorship activations everywhere you look in the arena - and this goes back years before COVID. I mean, know it's happening everywhere to some degree, but as soon as the NHL announced uni ads I knew the Pens would be one of the first to jump on and make a mess of it like they have. And yet, across town, the team owned by notorious cheapskate Bob Nutting has resisted uni ads for an entire season.

I've been holding that rant in for a long time.

In my opinion the worst ad in the league still goes to the Habs, because they dared to desecrate the most sacred hockey sweater of all time. Shame on you. For the same reason I consider the Yankees to have the worst uniform ad in baseball.

• Sad 1