2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

16 hours ago, elliott said:

Apologies if this has been talked about in this thread -- I have not seen anything about this, but it would appear that the Coyotes have new red helmets this season.

Tonight is the first time that the red alternates have been worn this season. The helmets have a matte finish (which I can't recall seeing in the NHL before? Anyone know??)

spacer.png

Last season, I am pretty sure there was just the normal "glossy" helmet finish.

spacer.png

Personally I kind of like it as something different in the league , and the matte finish plays off of the muted tones of the jersey.

The matte helmets are sweet, really complements the look. I hope that NHL teams continue to play with helmet finishes and color combos, its such an otherwise ignored part of the uniform in most sets and now even moreso in many cases due to team branding being subbed out for a random corporate logo.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Before teams started whoring out the space, helmets were an ideal space for team wordmarks, an often-overlooked part of a hockey team identity. The Red Wings did it best, but the Blackhawks used to do it for a while in the '90s, I believe, and the Devils under Lamoriello of course just had "DEVILS" in black or white Impact.

The Canadiens are a team you would think would have some timeless script like the New York Yankees but they don't at all.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, elliott said:

Apologies if this has been talked about in this thread -- I have not seen anything about this, but it would appear that the Coyotes have new red helmets this season.

Tonight is the first time that the red alternates have been worn this season. The helmets have a matte finish (which I can't recall seeing in the NHL before? Anyone know??)

spacer.png

Last season, I am pretty sure there was just the normal "glossy" helmet finish.

spacer.png

Personally I kind of like it as something different in the league , and the matte finish plays off of the muted tones of the jersey.

These are pretty nice and a great fit with the throwback primary jerseys.

It's interesting how monochrome uniforms are hated in some sports and accepted or even liked in other sports though. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 11:41 PM, Chewbacca said:

I wonder if they did it so that you wouldn’t occasionally see the stripes on the blue pants underneath the black pant shells they wear over the blue pants when they wear the Skate alternate.

Don't know why they did it, but that's not the reason. They don't wear shells.  They have seperate black pants.  I think most teams probably have different pants instead of using shells these days.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, henburg said:

The matte helmets are sweet, really complements the look. I hope that NHL teams continue to play with helmet finishes and color combos, its such an otherwise ignored part of the uniform in most sets and now even moreso in many cases due to team branding being subbed out for a random corporate logo.

I'd take matte helmets over chrome anythime

I'm sure I'm late to the party, but I see the Flyers have returned to the double logo center ice look, which suits them and their logo so much better. Most teams make make more sense with single, large logos at center ice, but teams whose logos are more horizontal than vertical are more suited for the double logo look. Habs need to be the next to make this switch back.

• Love 1

spacer.png

47 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I'm sure I'm late to the party, but I see the Flyers have returned to the double logo center ice look, which suits them and their logo so much better. Most teams make make more sense with single, large logos at center ice, but teams whose logos are more horizontal than vertical are more suited for the double logo look. Habs need to be the next to make this switch back.

I think the Ducks could as well.

I really like the double logo look and I can't explain why. I can't say that I prefer it, and I think if every team did it I wouldn't like it as much, but I think more teams should do it.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

19 hours ago, M4One said:

Don't know why they did it, but that's not the reason. They don't wear shells.  They have seperate black pants.  I think most teams probably have different pants instead of using shells these days.

I’m sure you’re right, but…. but, but…. It is the Vancouver Canucks we are talking about here after all.

I can't figure out how to post Twitter links on here cause I'm a 30 year old boomer and this could be nothing but the Canadiens have been selling a 1909 Fanatics jersey since 2021 or so and now they're doing a bobblehead night

Here's the clickbait article containing the link 

https://www.allhabs.com/Major-scoop-accidentally-revealed-by-the-Montreal-Canadiens-294595

And curiously, the pants would be white instead of navy this time around

spacer.png

Like I said, could be nothing. If it was up to me, the 1945 white jerseys that are essentially the current home jerseys with the colors flipped would be full time alternates, worn 10-15 times a year but a random throwback once a year would be a nice alternative

17 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I cannot understate how much I like the new (old) shade of orange more.

Disagree with your point, but if you're going to make a side-by-side comparison between the old and new, don't use a super washed-out photo as your comparison point:

Big-Read-Giroux-Wayne-Simmonds.jpg

7 minutes ago, GFB said:

Disagree with your point, but if you're going to make a side-by-side comparison between the old and new, don't use a super washed-out photo as your comparison point:

Big-Read-Giroux-Wayne-Simmonds.jpg

Fair, I always liked the 80s-90s look better than the 70s/2010s design, so I'm happy with a design that's closer to the 80s-90s. 

spacer.png