2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

I'm just shocked that this is the direction the team has chosen to take -- the last time they had a "modern" alternate was the Lady Liberty jerseys, which were last worn on a regular basis in 2007. This is the first time since then that they've had a jersey that wasn't meant to look like it's 100 years old (excluding the 2014 Stadium Series jersey, which they just ripped off of the AHL team). Still not sure how I feel about the design, I'll reserve judgement until I see it on the ice.

10 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Don't like the shield logo on the chest at all. It looks ginormous. They should've just done "NEW YORK" in their traditional diagonal mark. 

They should do this for their standard away jersey

• Like 2
  • Hurl 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

lol at the Rags as a centerpiece of MSG, they're third on the depth chart behind the Knicks and Everything Else

I don't know, they're doing fine. They sell out every game. Dolan does literally nothing regarding the Rangers except sign checks. They've been by far the more successful of the two MSG franchises. Honestly, I'd take being third on MSG's depth chart any day of the week.

• Like 3

So the Rangers' grand idea for a unique new alternate...was to copy the Devils' homework on the Jersey jersey and change it slightly? You know, the jersey everybody universally agrees is the poster boy of a mid alternate?

It looks like the kinda :censored: you'd see an EASHL team wear because they think it's hot :censored: in a champagne glass rather than the cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup it actually is. Christ, the Digital Six jersey is better as an alt than this is, and that thing was literally only made to be in a video game.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Hawks can't get Saturday nights at the United Center without an NBA lockout, relax. 

Are you here to critique NHL uniforms or are you here to tell us no one cares about hockey? Come on. These comments bring zero value to the discussion.

• Like 4

I could go into critiquing the jersey itself, but I would rather just ask the question of why it is even necessary? The Rangers just don't need a third jersey. And if they decided that they absolutely need one, this isn't the route. The Rangers are in the realm of the Wings, Hawks, etc. They just need their classic home and away. If they add a third, even if it is a good design, just won't feel right in my eyes. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

15 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I could go into critiquing the jersey itself, but I would rather just ask the question of why it is even necessary? The Rangers just don't need a third jersey. And if they decided that they absolutely need one, this isn't the route. The Rangers are in the realm of the Wings, Hawks, etc. They just need their classic home and away. If they add a third, even if it is a good design, just won't feel right in my eyes. 

Absolutely. As I said before, nearly every alternate and special jersey design the Rangers have made have been designed to look like they're 100 years old. There's a reason for that. They're a classic franchise that has no need for something this gimmicky. 

In the modern age of third jerseys, here's each O6 team's alternate jerseys:

Red Wings:

Never had one

Canadiens:

2006-07: 1940s white jersey

Blackhawks:

1996-97 to 2008-09: Black alternate with main crest

2009-10: 2009 Winter Classic jersey

Maple Leafs:

1998-99 to 2010-11: 1960s white jersey

2011-12 to 2015-16: 1967 blue jersey

2021-22 to present: BFBS

Rangers:

1996-97 to 1997-98, 1999-00 to 2006-07: Lady Liberty blue

1998-99: Lady Liberty white

2010-11 to 2016-17: Heritage fauxback

2023-24: This thing

Bruins:

1995-96 to 2005-06: Pooh Bear

2006-07: Bobby Orr era black

2008-09 to 2015-16: Bear logo alternate

2016-17: 2016 Winter Classic jersey

2019-20 to 2022-23: Varsity B Letter

2023-24: Special 100th anniversary alt

Out of those, the only alternates I'd consider to be "modern" are the Pooh Bear, Lady Liberty, Leafs BFBS, and this jersey. Otherwise, it's mostly all throwbacks, fauxbacks, and standard alternates that don't try to push the envelope in any way.

7 hours ago, ruttep said:

And there it is.

That logo is way too big. And IDK if it's just cause we're used to the diaganol RANGERS wordmark but that logo just doesn't look right on a jersey.

I said it before and I'll say it again. How do you come out with these when you had both the navy and royal lady liberty reverse retros staring you in the face? They really Patrik Stefan'd this.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

That logo is way too big. And IDK if it's just cause we're used to the diaganol RANGERS wordmark but that logo just doesn't look right on a jersey.

I said it before and I'll say it again. How do you come out with these when you had both the navy and royal lady liberty reverse retros staring you in the face? They really Patrik Stefan'd this.

the weirdest thing for me is that technically the Rangers crest should work great on a jersey, it's like perfect proportionately for a hockey crest. Still looks weird though which I have to assume is purely based on previous perception of the team. Kind of a weird scenario where the history outways "proper" design ideas...For some reason I think if they had always had the crest on the jerseys we would all love it, but it just doesn't work that way

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Frylock said:

I know my eyes are old, but, is the R in YORK structured differently than the two R’s in RANGERS? It looks like the open portion is smaller in YORK.

It's not just you - the lettering on the Rangers' shield logo has not been updated in half a century, and to me it looks like the logo (and its lettering) was likely hand-drawn. The "E" in "NEW" is also weird.