2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

I've seen a few decent looking chrome college football helmets, but have yet to see one that doesn't look horrendous in hockey.

The only team that gets the pass IMO is Notre Dame. They are the only team that should be wearing chrome in hockey

17 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

- Hanger effects

Why is so much time and energy dedicated to something you'll never see on the ice.

-Sublimated Sleeve Patterns

They contribute nothing to the quality of the design.  Both Calgary and Vancouver's alternates would look cleaner without them.

I have to push back on these two. I've become a fan recently of adding detail when possible and both of these are great ways of doing so. Hanger effects are a way to add just another touch to jerseys and as you said, they won't be seen on the ice, so there's no issue there. Sublimated striping patterns can add a rich texture to jerseys without going overboard. I agree that Calgary's alt isn't really using it well, but Vancouver's and alt and especially San Jose's current set look great.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 1/18/2024 at 3:53 PM, ruttep said:

Think I've made this point before, but those decisions are more the fault of the franchise than the league as a whole. I've always thought the alternates in the playoffs rule was a fun way to make a particular playoff run memorable (the Lady Liberty jerseys gave Gretzky's one playoff run with the Rangers a fun flair) or tease a future rebrand (2006 Ducks, 2007 Canucks, 2014 Ducks, 2016 Penguins). If the Canucks want to wear the black skate alternate (I agree it shouldn't be worn in the playoffs), blame them, not the league rule.

Out of the two options you gave, I'd rather go with primaries only in the playoffs. Mixing and matching should never take place on a playoff run. 

But the NHL both allowed the Canucks to make the wrong decision and forced them to stick to that wrong decision. There is no reason to do both of those. Either force them to make the correct decision or allow them to make the wrong decision for only some games rather than all of them.

Obviously the Canucks are the ones who made the wrong decision, but the NHL not only allowed it - they made it worse than it needed to be.

I'd rather see the primaries required for all playoff games too but I'd take mix and match over the current rule. Whatever's going to have alternates worn as little as possible would be ideal.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

5 hours ago, sky1324 said:

I have to push back on these two. I've become a fan recently of adding detail when possible and both of these are great ways of doing so. Hanger effects are a way to add just another touch to jerseys and as you said, they won't be seen on the ice, so there's no issue there. Sublimated striping patterns can add a rich texture to jerseys without going overboard. I agree that Calgary's alt isn't really using it well, but Vancouver's and alt and especially San Jose's current set look great.

We should keep in mind too that the jerseys are also retail products. Adding details that fans get to see every time they put on a jersey before a game is great in my mind as long as it doesn't detract from the look on the ice, which these don't.

• Like 8

Better than Vegas and LA, but still not very good.  Maybe...and it's a big maybe, the chrome/metallic helmets might work if the entire jersey was made from the dazzle material the Canucks used on the OG Orcas, but we know that's not going to happen.  

• Like 3
  • Hurl 2

22 hours ago, YelichGraphics said:

The only team that gets the pass IMO is Notre Dame. They are the only team that should be wearing chrome in hockey

Not chrome. Metallic. Metallic gold helmets are perfect for Notre Dame.

It seems most folks don't know the difference between chrome and metallic (I don't mean to be condescending) but using the right finish can really make all the difference. I haven't seen a single chrome dome in the NHL that I think works. But Vegas and LA could pull off metallic helmets if the finish was applied properly.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I love the sharks teeth inside the collar. I did the same thing to the stripping on my recent sharks concept.

These jerseys are amazing and I think the Sharks might be one of the best overall looks in the league now. Would love to see the black gear with the home and always once in a while as well

• Like 5

On 1/24/2024 at 8:39 PM, M4One said:

Better than Vegas and LA, but still not very good.  Maybe...and it's a big maybe, the chrome/metallic helmets might work if the entire jersey was made from the dazzle material the Canucks used on the OG Orcas, but we know that's not going to happen.  

They were terrible live. This picture makes it look wawy better than what it was 

Sharks alternate is alright.  I think it would have looked better had then dropped the top white and teal stripes.

I guess after getting rid of all the old guys, they don't have to worry about all those stripes weighing them down anymore and slowing them down.

7 hours ago, Patchey13 said:

I love the sharks teeth inside the collar. I did the same thing to the stripping on my recent sharks concept.

The teeth on the inside of the new Sharks jersey are alternating sizes instead of all one height. It's a great feature that they should add to the home and away instead of the solid orange.

• Like 1