2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

LockerVision has a shockingly traditional Christmas Day on the books -- every game is Association (white) home, Icon (standard color) away, except for the 8pm EST game where Miami had to wear their red Statement at home (forcing Philly into their white jerseys). The past several years have seen a lot of City Edition showcases on Christmas so I find it refreshing and proper to get away from that on the NBA's ostensible marquee day.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

LockerVision has a shockingly traditional Christmas Day on the books -- every game is Association (white) home, Icon (standard color) away, except for the 8pm EST game where Miami had to wear their red Statement at home (forcing Philly into their white jerseys). The past several years have seen a lot of City Edition showcases on Christmas so I find it refreshing and proper to get away from that on the NBA's ostensible marquee day.

This is great news. We'll let Miami slide since they been wearing red on Christmas Day games since the Heatles era; maybe before.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I don't think he's right about this. Their tournament schedule starts November 10th and they're wearing white. Lockervision does not list them having six uniforms.

They seem to make a big deal about the tournament semifinals which take place in Las Vegas and start on December 7th. I'd assume that only teams that make it to Vegas will get these uniforms and will wear them for the duration of their time in Vegas. Not really sure about the lifespan of the jerseys once the tournament is over.

57 minutes ago, Digby said:

heat and sixers killing my ocd. but everything else sounds good. i wonder if the league/nike is doing this because they actually want to be traditional or if its just because every single team playing on christmas this year is wearing a black/dark jersey with the exception of knicks and suns i think

always wonder why do you care so much about home white and away color. it's not an american thing, considering that in american footbal the home team wear their color jersey. By the way, i know in the Nba has always been like that, but even if they go for achange, why would it be a problem? i mean for me it's even more righteous.

1 hour ago, MauriceMorris13 said:

always wonder why do you care so much about home white and away color. it's not an american thing, considering that in american footbal the home team wear their color jersey. By the way, i know in the Nba has always been like that, but even if they go for achange, why would it be a problem? i mean for me it's even more righteous.

For the same reason why we like home teams playing in color jerseys in football -- tradition.

And, probably OCD. 

• Like 3

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I like white at home in American sports in general. Feels traditional. Hockey has been weird since they mostly stopped. (I know the NFL doesn’t do this but I don’t care about football, so.)

in basketball, too, you see more team color on the playing surface than you do in grass or ice sports. Wearing white with team color trim ensures the home team always matches their surroundings. An away team with a different color scheme looks less out of place if they can sneak by with a white uniform.

Wasn’t it an old NHL guy who said away teams should wear color so home fans see a variety of color depending on the night? I agree with that, too. That said, I don’t mind color vs color either if there’s sufficient contrast. But I really don’t like white on the road in the NBA, and more, I don’t like the total lack of consistency that makes any given night’s uniforms look as if they were picked randomly for both teams.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MauriceMorris13 said:

For me, there’s the tradition part of it and just being used to it, but I also like the maximum contrast that’s provided on two counts - 1) white vs. color provides maximum contrast between the two teams, and 2) as @Digby also pointed out, the paint area is usually (not always, but usually) painted in a team color, and white will contrast against that maximally as opposed to the same team color being worn against it. Uniforms can tend to blend in to the paint area for me at times when they’re the same color. 

So in short, it’s both tradition and function that lends to my preference towards white at home*.

*Lakers in gold at home is an exception, of course.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

20 hours ago, kimball said:

Huh. I guess there's not much they can draw from, especially since they don't acknowledge the Sonics history, logos and colors. 

I know, but they already had 21 uniforms (19 before 21/22 season and 22 soon) which sounds quite shockingly.

oklahoma-city-thunder-2021-2022-new-city

• Like 3

4r2eer.png

15 hours ago, bushy said:

It’s crazy. I didn’t expect the sixers new drop shadow to be that noticeable…..

it is SUPER noticeable lol

Should've never messed with the shadow to begin with. I think the entire set of jerseys was fine before the red alternate got its one changed last season.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

1 hour ago, BShaw20 said:

Magic release the “city”

good design. actually some color on the collar and arms, there's a little zig zag stripe going down the side, there's a cool little pinstripe pattern all around the base, and the wordmark is unique and has some flair. design wise these are  a really solid 8/10. but they suffer really badly from being lost in the crowd of black/dark jerseys this year. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Digby said:

I like white at home in American sports in general. Feels traditional. Hockey has been weird since they mostly stopped. (I know the NFL doesn’t do this but I don’t care about football, so.)

in basketball, too, you see more team color on the playing surface than you do in grass or ice sports. Wearing white with team color trim ensures the home team always matches their surroundings. An away team with a different color scheme looks less out of place if they can sneak by with a white uniform.

Wasn’t it an old NHL guy who said away teams should wear color so home fans see a variety of color depending on the night? I agree with that, too. That said, I don’t mind color vs color either if there’s sufficient contrast. But I really don’t like white on the road in the NBA, and more, I don’t like the total lack of consistency that makes any given night’s uniforms look as if they were picked randomly for both teams.

I'm the opposite.  I don't like most white uniforms except for in baseball.  I guess because in baseball the colors are primarily on the names and numbers and less on stripes, etc.  And in baseball the all white uniform stands out more on the field.  But other sports are more colorful leagues, so I want to see as much color as possible.  In NFL, NBA and NHL I think the home team should rep the colors and the visitors should wear white.  

NFL teams sometimes wear white at home, it's normal for the Dolphins and Cowboys.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

The NBA released this very colorful teaser and the first thing that comes to mind is potentially the special uniforms for the In-Season Tournament. I do remember them saying something about special sets for it. It kicks off November 3rd, so they would have to be revealed soon.

There are people saying the NBA are teasing the City Editions dropping, but usually it's done on a team-by-team basis, not as a league-wide release. Besides, many of the colors here don't line up with the looks that were leaked. We will see what it is come Monday though.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

If those are indeed jersey colors, and do correlate with in-season tournament jerseys that will be worn, I have two stabs at the teams they match.

Option 1, on the left is simply dividing between east and west, groups A,B, & C then trying to match up teams (alphabetical does not seem to make sense). Option 2, on the right is still keeping the playing-groups of 5 together but this time trying to match up teams best suited for the colors shown. Ends up with a bit of a random order.

In both options there are weird ones (Bulls in Maroon, Blazers in gold, Spurs in light blue, Nets in pink) but no matter what I do I keep getting the Knicks in the seafoam/patina color.🤞

6qZoX0jl.jpg

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

30 minutes ago, eRay said:

If those are indeed jersey colors, and do correlate with in-season tournament jerseys that will be worn, I have two stabs at the teams they match.

Option 1, on the left is simply dividing between east and west, groups A,B, & C then trying to match up teams (alphabetical does not seem to make sense). Option 2, on the right is still keeping the playing-groups of 5 together but this time trying to match up teams best suited for the colors shown. Ends up with a bit of a random order.

In both options there are weird ones (Bulls in Maroon, Blazers in gold, Spurs in light blue, Nets in pink) but no matter what I do I keep getting the Knicks in the seafoam/patina color.🤞

6qZoX0jl.jpg

I think you’re onto something with Option 1 for sure. While you do get some odd ones, there seems to be more teams that look plausible on that arrangement than Option 2. Even the Hawks in powder blue seems plausible, as that is a throwback color and is being used on the new city edition too.

Seafoam/mint for the Knicks would actually seem really plausible if they’re tying it into the Statue of Liberty. 

The Jazz I could definitely see in teal if it’s some kind of reverse retro of the mountain jerseys (or at least a nod to them).

There’s others I could point out, but long story short, I think you may have totally picked it up.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

40 minutes ago, eRay said:

6qZoX0jl.jpg

Nets using seafoam is plausible too, they used accessories in this color last season Imagem

• Like 2