2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

3 hours ago, tscuzzy said:

Rockets are calling this logo the "dunkstronaut". Lot of potential here for an official secondary logo one day. They need to drop the R ... there is just so much potential behind a space/earth/rocket logo.spacer.png

I was a little offended by the shade of blue (very Clippers like), but they are staying true to the old UH uniforms:

spacer.png

Was coming to say, while most of the city uniforms are terrible, I love the dunking astronaut on the Rockets shorts.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The Suns have three new courts: statement, city and tournament.  Wood is definitely not an issue.  Do they recycle courts somehow?

From the ESPN article it seems most of the courts were bought or repurposed from the WNBA, so it seems so? 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 11/1/2023 at 11:52 AM, gosioux76 said:

At what point do we get to stop saying this: What do you think this message board is about? It's entire reason for being is to debate things like basketball jerseys. 

I'm familiar with that guy from another forum; he really is the quintessential consoomer that will defend these huge corporations no matter what and takes any criticism of them as an attack.

City uniforms this year are a big case of "Don't judge the leak" if I've ever seen one. Lakers is nice, the Rockets "Dunkstronaut" is amazing, Pelicans look nice and the "Skelican" is genius, there's various others that I can comment on but I'm too lazy to.

Sometimes you gotta see the full execution.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

Yeah, the leaks all looked terrible, but the releases have changed my mind in some cases.

I'm ashamed to say the ones that I like, but let's just say they've been posted recently for their terrible Nike-speak and they are terrible but now I....like them. It's all storytelling with these things, and sometimes they just do a good job with it. I'm still not buying them or wanting them to exist, but the people selling them are doing a pretty good job.

• Like 2

now that we've seen them officially released, on players too, i confirm my opinion, this is not the worst year for the city program. A lot of these jerseys are just nice jersey with no godd concept, to be honest some of the "meaning" make the jersey even worst. I don't remember wich one made me think " what the f am i reading??"

On the other hand, the new york new york inspired by frank sinatra, almost make the wordmark of my knicks nice... but damn, they decided to ditch black base uniform just when they came oyut with a Sinatra nod. I am thinking about a black jersey with slightly visible pinstripes, and New York New York on the chest. Instead they prefer a cheap reanimation of the 2000's look.

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

City uniforms this year are a big case of "Don't judge the leak" if I've ever seen one.

It's true especially swingmans always looks slightly worse than authentics, atlhough Nuggets is still dumb with 5280 as a wordmark.

Speaking of marketing bs, this my favourite one (from Lakers):

We went with the all-black uniform because when we first got to LA, we didn’t know who we would be. The only idea of what we could be was the picture we had in our heads when we closed our eyes. And we were extra thoughtful with the purple and black trim detail. The trim goes from purple to black to purple as a nod to the sky after a California sunset. It’s a part of the day after golden hour when you can’t help but reflect on what you want and how much further you have to go. 

• Eyeroll 1

4r2eer.png

biggest takeaway for me this year is how the jazz are only wearing their city edition jerseys like 5 times or something. i forgot what the actual numbers were but i recall yesterday looking at their jersey schedule that they're wearing them once or twice a month for like 3- 4 months or something really low like that. huge bummer. saw lots of positive fan reactions and many people saying that those should be their rebranded jersey. and i know for certain the jazz team has seen all those comments. hopefully we'll see these again in the future... 

• Like 1

As a host of the purple mind virus, I'll chime in that while I like the city uni, I absolutely would not want it as the core of a rebrand.
That said, seeing the associated court has really brought me around to the idea of the jazz as a dark purple/lavender team. Pretty unique color scheme that would actually feel like an outgrowth of the team's history and location. Throw in a sky blue or copper to balance the whole thing out. I guess keep the black because management can't not.

• Like 1

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

34 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

As a host of the purple mind virus, I'll chime in that while I like the city uni, I absolutely would not want it as the core of a rebrand.
That said, seeing the associated court has really brought me around to the idea of the jazz as a dark purple/lavender team. Pretty unique color scheme that would actually feel like an outgrowth of the team's history and location. Throw in a sky blue or copper to balance the whole thing out. I guess keep the black because management can't not.

In a similar vein, seeing the city uniforms and court together plus this awesome hat from ‘47 brand (which I’m totally buying) has also warmed me up significantly to the idea of purple + lavender. 

spacer.png

I’m actually also very on board with the city edition being the basis of a rebrand, but totally open to other interpretations and versions of a multi-purple scheme too. Maybe they can pull off a sort of “grape rainbow” akin to the Bucks’ Irish rainbow?

And if Ryan Smith absolutely must have black in the color scheme, I don’t think multi-purple looks all that bad with it, so I’d be okay with some black as long as it’s used right and tastefully.

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

21 hours ago, tscuzzy said:

Rockets are calling this logo the "dunkstronaut". Lot of potential here for an official secondary logo one day. They need to drop the R ... there is just so much potential behind a space/earth/rocket logo.spacer.png

I was a little offended by the shade of blue (very Clippers like), but they are staying true to the old UH uniforms:

spacer.png

Dunkstronaut at center court. I love how this logo incorporates both the Type R logo as well as the former shark toothed rocket logo on the leg. Great base for a rebrand. 

• Like 6
  • Love 5
NYCdog.png

On 11/1/2023 at 11:52 AM, gosioux76 said:

At what point do we get to stop saying this: What do you think this message board is about? It's entire reason for being is to debate things like basketball jerseys. 

75% of the comments in here are people complaining about the jerseys. Its this contant stream of negativity about these trivial things. The main issue seems to stem from people who want to go back to 1970 when they grandpops use to take them to the old arena and have cracker jacks for $.50 cents and you watched Celtics at home in white and the San Antonio Chaparrals in their away black. Guys we are in 2023, things will change, we dont have a standard home and away an maybe one alternate. The designs are bold and funkier, yes you will still have your traditional home and away, but thats BORING TO WATCH EVERY NIGHT. 

I for one, may not be in love with every jersey, but I appreciate things that are different and bold, times changes people. Get used to it.  If you dont like the NBA and their crazy jersey designs, go back to watching the 1982 NBA Finals on VHS. 

Im seeing these new in tournament court designs and I LOVE IT, Im afraid some of these people are gonna have a heart attack lol. 

• Like 4
  • Huh? 2
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Eyeroll 4

15 minutes ago, andregunts said:

75% of the comments in here are people complaining about the jerseys. Its this contant stream of negativity about these trivial things. The main issue seems to stem from people who want to go back to 1970 when they grandpops use to take them to the old arena and have cracker jacks for $.50 cents and you watched Celtics at home in white and the San Antonio Chaparrals in their away black. Guys we are in 2023, things will change, we dont have a standard home and away an maybe one alternate. The designs are bold and funkier, yes you will still have your traditional home and away, but thats BORING TO WATCH EVERY NIGHT. 

I for one, may not be in love with every jersey, but I appreciate things that are different and bold, times changes people. Get used to it.  If you dont like the NBA and their crazy jersey designs, go back to watching the 1982 NBA Finals on VHS. 

Im seeing these new in tournament court designs and I LOVE IT, Im afraid some of these people are gonna have a heart attack lol. 

Once again, because it bears repeating, that this is THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD. If people don't like the nonstop stream of new, modern, garish uniforms and aren't fans of the resulting brand dilution, then this is the place to vent over it. 

If you want to generalize that everybody who disagrees with you on this topic is old and out of touch, then feel free. 

But don't come to a message board about sports uniforms and suggest debating such things doesn't make sense. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, andregunts said:

The main issue seems to stem from people who want to go back to 1970 when they grandpops use to take them to the old arena and have cracker jacks for $.50 cents 

I’ve been pretty vocal about my distaste for the league’s aesthetic decisions, so I’m assuming I’m lumped in here. To illustrate a point, I’ll drop you a plot twist: I was born in 1992 and my grandpop first took me to the arena in 2000 when the Jazz, Sonics, Pistons, Grizzlies, and others still had massive cartoon somethings plastered on the front of thier uniform. Cracker jacks certainly weren’t $0.50 either. 

The point? Stop generalizing. Stop assuming everyone has the same exact reason for what they like and don’t like, and especially stop assuming everyone who dislikes what you like and vice versa are wrong somehow. That’s awesome that you like all the branding decisions the league and teams are making - more power to you! I mean that sincerely, you ought to like what you like and be proud to like it. But you can express those opinions freely without demeaning those you disagree with and making them out to be old, senile, decrepit idiots of some kind. I promise you’ll have a lot more fun and have much more engaging discussions here that way. I sincerely hope you give it a try so you can enjoy being in these boards a bit more than you seem to. You and everyone here deserve to have a good time and feel fulfilled in your discussions here.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Cracker jacks certainly weren’t $0.50 either. 

Well, and in 2000 I'm pretty sure they didn't even sell Cracker Jacks at the arena.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin