2023 NBA Offseason Thread

Gary

46 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

The Suns are still too top-heavy. I could be eating my own words this time next year, but I think this is going to blow up in their faces. It will all be a waste.

I’ve been hearing that they’ll be trading Ayton before Thursday, picking up some capital and a couple players that can save them some money

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

CP3 is not staying in Washington.  He'll go somewhere to win something he desperately wants: an NBA Championship.  So it's probably going to be a Western Conference team, based out of The Bay Area of California or the other Los Angeles team.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

CP3 is not staying in Washington.  He'll go somewhere to win something he desperately wants: an NBA Championship.  So it's probably going to be a Western Conference team, based out of The Bay Area of California or the other Los Angeles team.  

16867721013493.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Dislike 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

David Stern-

spacer.png

I'll wait to see who else catches this reference... 😄

• LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 hours ago, dont care said:

you’d have to be about 10 years old to not know this reference 

You know what they say about assuming, right?

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

10 minutes ago, tBBP said:

They would have to be sold, because it's owned by Gayle Benson, who owns the more beloved Saints.  If there has to be a relocation, it probably won't be to Seattle or Las Vegas because the NBA may want to save those for expansion.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

They would have to be sold, because it's owned by Gayle Benson, who owns the more beloved Saints.  If there has to be a relocation, it probably won't be to Seattle or Las Vegas because the NBA may want to save those for expansion.  

It should be Seattle over anyone else. But, I don't know if it changes the NBA's plan to expand if they were shipped off to Seattle. The addition of two more teams to get to 32 seems like a given.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

They're not going to move a team to Seattle and forego a $1B expansion fee.  There's also almost no way someone is going to pay to buy a team and then pay a huge relocation fee that would make up for the loss of the expansion money.

The story says that they're re-upping their lease in the Smoothie King arena till 2030, so it's moot anyway since Seattle will have a team by then (or I'll eat my hat) and LV likely will too.  I think the owners would choose sacrificing the Pelicans in exchange for raking in $2B in expansion fees.  If/when the Pelicans are sold and/or move, it will be to some "unsexy" place with an arena but without the cache of Seattle and LV.  Like Kansas City and their Sprint Center.  Something like that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Sonics left 15 goddamn years ago.

Can we hurry up and make that right? FFS.

I can't believe it's been that long. There's kids with learner's permits that weren't alive when the Sonics played.  Theirs and Browns 1.0 were probably the most heartbreaking moves of my lifetime.  Not that any move isn't heartbreaking for the fans affected, but as fans of the sport, losing those franchises hurt, regardless of what team you rooted for.

For me, the closest thing would be the Buffalo Braves or New Orleans Jazz (I was technically alive, but no memory), and maybe the KC Scouts or Cleveland Barons.

The biggest moves that I was alive for but have no recollection of the teams in their more-famous homes would be the Oakland Raiders 1.0 and Baltimore Colts.  Maybe a few NBA moves that nobody cared about.

The first relocation that I vividly remember was the St. Louis Cardinals to Phoenix in '88.  I remember reading about it in SI, and also hearing a lot on the local news because the Eagles then-current owner nearly lost the Eagles due to gambling debts and was going to sell to Phoenix investors to pay them off, then "the guy in France" bought the Eagles (then sold to Jeff Lurie.)

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."