2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

For my money, Bears/Browns is the more compelling game, although the Chiefs (likely) pounding the Pats will be fun too. And I guess the Chiefs slipping on a banana peel would be fun too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

For my money, Bears/Browns is the more compelling game, although the Chiefs (likely) pounding the Pats will be fun too. And I guess the Chiefs slipping on a banana peel would be fun too.

If there's any game that is a "get right offensively" game for the Chiefs, it's against the Pats.  Then again, the Pats have not been a terrible defense, so there's a chance of another mediocre offensive game for the Chiefs.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

If there's any game that is a "get right offensively" game for the Chiefs, it's against the Pats.  Then again, the Pats have not been a terrible defense, so there's a chance of another mediocre offensive game for the Chiefs.  

It's funny. Both the Chiefs and Bills are having down years, but Buffalo's costly mistakes have been way, way more costly. Both teams have been incredibly dumb in pressure situations, but the Chiefs' schedule has been more forgiving and they haven't had the volume of bonehead plays.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

The last couple of seasons, the AFC has been a three-team conference between the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals. It's weird to see all of them struggling for different reasons.

Extended playoff runs catch up to everyone not named Tom Brady.

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

The last couple of seasons, the AFC has been a three-team conference between the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals. It's weird to see all of them struggling for different reasons.

You forgot the Ravens, who have never been 100% out of AFC contention since Jackson arrived.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

I am dreading a Philadelphia-Baltimore Super Bowl. That is just too much Mid-Atlantic for America to handle.

And we can start the debate as to whether Philadelphia is mid-atlantic culturally, architecturally, or only geographically.  

In other news, No Play Slay, right after saying that he played great against Dallas and everyone else sucked, had knee surgery and is out for the regular season, leaving complete idiot-loser-dickwads to play against DK and those receivers on Monday.  I don't care who's throwing the ball, if you're picking the Eagles, you may need to enter concussion protocol.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, BBTV said:

after saying that he played great against Dallas and everyone else sucked

I don't get why players do this, saying that they were great and everyone else lost the game. It's a team sport, you win as a team and you lose as a team. It would be one thing if he picked off Dak three times and allowed zero receptions but the Eagles still lost, but he played quite an unremarkable game as far as I know. Just comes off as toxic.

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's funny. Both the Chiefs and Bills are having down years, but Buffalo's costly mistakes have been way, way more costly. Both teams have been incredibly dumb in pressure situations, but the Chiefs' schedule has been more forgiving and they haven't had the volume of bonehead plays.

If there's anytime for a letdown game for the Cowboys, its against the Bills, although Dak "Stephen A Smith Probably thinks he's a terrible QB" Prescott has been having a great year without Kellen Moore calling plays for him. 

11 hours ago, See Red said:

I've only watched three plays of this Broncos/Lions games and it's just three plays of ref :censored:ery.  This league sucks.

The Broncos got into the endzone TWICE on back-to-back plays, both ruled by the refs short by an inch. Then were called for offensive offsides when it wasn't. Not saying it cost those calls Broncos the game, but the refs got it wrong on three consecutive plays.

Also on that note, I know scoring plays are automatically reviewed. The NFL needs to start auto-reviewing plays that are ruled an inch short from the goal line as well.

• Like 6

6uXNWAo.png

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

The Broncos got into the endzone TWICE on back-to-back plays, both ruled by the refs short by an inch. Then were called for offensive offsides when it wasn't. Not saying it cost those calls Broncos the game, but the refs got it wrong on three consecutive plays.

Also on that note, I know scoring plays are automatically reviewed. The NFL needs to start auto-reviewing plays that are rules an inch short from the goal line as well.

For either of those goal line denials, the Broncos should have challenged it. In reality, they should have been given by the refs but losing one timeout at that point was less important than 6 or 7 points at that point in the game. Chewing out Russ for it was a pretty crap look on Sean Payton too. What's Russ supposed to do that Payton couldn't? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't love the idea of putting blame on coaches for not challenging.  Challenges are huge risks, especially when challenging spots.  I imagine the percentages of winning spot challenges is lower than most others.  Also so many angles are usually necessary that it's not always possible to get the necessary information before the next play is ready to be snapped.

There should definitely be auto-replays - that, or the referees should err on the side of calling a TD to force that replay - but that just sounds stupid to need to do.

There should definitely be replays for balls within an inch of goal line, and any penalty that results in an automatic 1st down (roughing the passer, other personal fouls, defensive holding, PI, etc.)  The issue is that some of those are so subjective that even if it's obvious that the flag shouldn't have been thrown, it's hard to argue that technically it was within the description of the penalty, so I don't see too many of them being reversed, but they're too big to not be looked at.  

Same with obvious PIs that aren't called.  They're too important to get let go.

And referees should be disqualified just like players are, and a backup ref take their place.  It's one thing to make a human mistake - the game moves fast, and some of these guys are 100 years old and about to take their last breath.  But some of these guys are simply incompetent and embarrass themselves and the league, and make people challenge its legitimacy.  That's bad, and doesn't seem to happen nearly as much in other sports (with the exception of some trash-ass home-plate umpires.)

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/15/2023 at 12:00 PM, Sport said:

What's your favorite Brandon Staley moment? Blowing a 27-0 lead to the Jaguars in the playoffs is good, but it lacks that one dumb guy pretending to be a smart guy move that became his signature. Mine's when the Raiders seemed content to run out the clock for the tie and they both would've made the playoffs, but Staley called a timeout so the Raiders said "Alright fine" and then got 15 yards on a draw and won on a field goal.

I'm partial to the time his idiotic decision making almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in Cleveland, mostly because I saw it and was wondering what on earth they were doing.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

20 hours ago, BBTV said:

In other news, No Play Slay, right after saying that he played great against Dallas and everyone else sucked, had knee surgery and is out for the regular season, leaving complete idiot-loser-dickwads to play against DK and those receivers on Monday.  I don't care who's throwing the ball, if you're picking the Eagles, you may need to enter concussion protocol.

That delusional nut's still in the league? 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Regarding the Eagles trash coordinators:

According to a local article, they're trying to "force Desai's resignation."

I don't think it'll matter much because they have zero depth in their defensive backfield and are signing LBs off of their couches, but it at least shows they still want to try and salvage this season.  My money says the demotion came from Howie and not Sirianni.

Unfortunately, Hurts' relationship with OC Brian Johnson is going to keep him on the staff until he gets a HC job, and he's certainly going to get interviews, whether deserving or not.