2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, JerseyJimmy said:

boy, this NBA Finals matchup sure does exist, doesn't it

It seems like the past few matchups have favored randomness over sustained dynasties. Save for that one Warriors title.

I’m not sure on how good or bad that is for the league, but it’s a general breath of relief after the Warriors vs Lebron period.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JerseyJimmy said:

boy, this NBA Finals matchup sure does exist, doesn't it

It's a good one. A classic franchise and a new-classic franchise, the Celtics' balanced roster against the star power of the Mavs, and the league's "white team" against some manner of Black Hebrew Israelite.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't feel super great about this one. The Celtics have the better rotation and a matchup advantage with the big man spacing to counter the Mavs' rim protection, but they've been without Porzingis long enough that I worry reinserting him might interrupt offensive chemistry just enough for them to flub one of the first two games. More important than that, though, is Dallas has the best player in the series, and a guy who delights in being the villain on the road, and that matters.

I can't wait to find out but it's still another goddamn week before game 1 and it's two days between every game after, because reasons.

So no one is going to talk about the mavs getting stomped on all night, Kyrie getting booed out of the building and porzingis looking as good as he ever has. And the Celtics getting more blocks than the mavs had assists as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont care said:

So no one is going to talk about the mavs getting stomped on all night, Kyrie getting booed out of the building and porzingis looking as good as he ever has. And the Celtics getting more blocks than the mavs had assists as well.

Correct. No one likes the Boston Celtics.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 hours ago, dont care said:

I mean it happened and I'm happy it happened but what is there to say? It's one game, Dallas was betting on Porzingis being rusty and got burned, they'll surely adjust to do something about him (which likely becomes a whack-a-mole situation where Tatum or somebody else emerges instead, hence today's media gambit from Kidd to try and get inside their heads), and Dallas still has the best player in the series until proven otherwise.

I'm not a Laker fan, I don't do message board victory laps after going up 1-0 in a series.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 2

For all the talk about the Mavs having the two best players in the series, the Celtics having the next best five is making the difference. Dallas couldn't take advantage of the traditional Game 2 Shooting Ice-out by the Celtics last night. The disruptive hustle defense for both teams is fun to watch, but Boston is better equipped to get around it often enough.

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Dan Hurley will remain at UConn and not coach the Lakers.  

so I guess that means JJ Redick will be coaching the Lakers

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, FriedPickles said:

so I guess that means JJ Redick will be coaching the Lakers

Whole thing feels like it was for the Lakers to say “welp, we tried!” to justify settling on Reddick or someone. I’m not even sure they offered him more to leave UConn than Kentucky did.

• LOL 3

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Whole thing feels like it was for the Lakers to say “welp, we tried!” to justify settling on Reddick or someone. I’m not even sure they offered him more to leave UConn than Kentucky did.

I really thought it was just a ploy for more attention, given their egos. I'm sure they did offer him something notable, but I don't even think they thought they would get him.

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Coaching the mid Lakers with LeBron in his swan song years vs having a chance to build the most dominant dynasty in the sport in the division 1 NCAA level since UCLA in the 60s-70s.. It is an easy call to me

While that makes sense, there's a lot to say about how difficult the job of college coach has become in this new NIL era. The job has to be exponentially harder when you're faced with losing players to a transfer portal every year and currying favor with donors to pony up cash to land free-agent college athletes looking for the best deal. It used to be portrayed as this comfortable, high-value, long-term gig where guys like Krzyzewski and Boeheim and Roy Williams could build legacies without having to egos of overpaid athletes and free agency. 

I can see the logic in thinking, if I'm going to deal with that, I might as well give the pros a try. 

If you read some of the coverage today, the real story is more about Woj than about Dan Hurley.

Hurley declined the Lakers a month ago. They heard he was in contract negotiations with UConn so they gave it a hail Mary. He said no again.

Why this is interesting is because Woj sat on this for a month. So he knew Hurley had spoken with and declined the Lakers, but only went forward with a story after Shams had been hot on Redick and after he essentially knew what had happened.

Woj has been angry with LeBron for forever due to not having any access with his camp, and I'm sure the animus carries to the Lakers by extension.

But ultimately, the more interesting story here is less about college coach stays in college, and more about selective leaking and the motivations behind it.

• Huh? 2
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I’m not sure how sitting on a story shows any animosity towards either the Lakers or James.  Did he somehow anticipate that the Lakers would circle around and give it another shot?  And how does being turned down now look more like a gotcha on the Lakers than being turned down a month ago?

• Like 3