MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

20 hours ago, BBTV said:

Also, (this is a minority opinion) traditional left-chest logos and lower-left numbers look odd on pullovers.  I know it's a normal thing in soccer and even in baseball, but it looks odd to me.  The Toronto pullovers made sense.

I couldn't agree more with this point. The left-chest logos on pullovers always looked like a mistake to me. With button downs, they don't seem as intentionally unbalanced as they do on pullovers. These Cubs and Indians uniforms in particular always struck me as odd. It's as if someone was applying the logo patch blindfolded and just ended up on the left breast. 

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I couldn't agree more with this point. The left-chest logos on pullovers always looked like a mistake to me. With button downs, they don't seem as intentionally unbalanced as they do on pullovers. These Cubs and Indians uniforms in particular always struck me as odd. It's as if someone was applying the logo patch blindfolded and just ended up on the left breast. 

spacer.png spacer.png

That Cleveland jersey was the mesh batting practice jersey, so that probably affects how that logo looks as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That Cleveland jersey was the mesh batting practice jersey, so that probably affects how that logo looks as well. 

I'm not sure I understand why that would make a difference. Whether it's mesh or polyester or game vs. BP jersey, it's still intentionally placing a logo off center. 

I wouldn't advocate for centering that logo, either. Wordmarks are the way to go on pullovers.

It seems less weird in soccer, where (I believe) the idea was to put the club crest at or near the heart. A symbolic gesture. It's also significantly smaller than what's been used on baseball pullovers and, though larger, not too dissimilar from manufacturers logos seen on polo shirts back in the day. (The Lacoste crocodile, for example. )

46 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not sure I understand why that would make a difference. Whether it's mesh or polyester or game vs. BP jersey, it's still intentionally placing a logo off center. 

I wouldn't advocate for centering that logo, either. Wordmarks are the way to go on pullovers.

It seems less weird in soccer, where (I believe) the idea was to put the club crest at or near the heart. A symbolic gesture. It's also significantly smaller than what's been used on baseball pullovers and, though larger, not too dissimilar from manufacturers logos seen on polo shirts back in the day. (The Lacoste crocodile, for example. )

The only reason they went with the logo was because it's cheaper than using the wordmarks. I do agree, I'd prefer wordmarks on game day uniforms. But for batting practice uniforms, the logo or monogram works better. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

How many fanbases would welcome back pullovers though? The only one that I can think of that would be for going all in on pullovers would be Cincy due to The Big Red Machine.

I would not want this full time as that would be sacrilege, and this probably 1000% has to do with nostalgia, but I love this Cardinals era. Like loooove it. I would rather trade out the baby blue jersey they do now to add this to the rotation. 

spacer.png

Edited by PlayGloria
mistyped
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1

I don't think the off-centered chest logo on a pullover looks weird at all. Even in soccer I don't think there's a need to reach for poetic license. Embroidery over the left breast is a pretty common standard on tops going back a very long time, even on certain formalwear.

I'd actually take that over the old Blue Jays pullover that put the arched wordmark over the centered bird/ball logo. The size and placement of the graphics there made the jersey look even more like a fan t-shirt, not the gravitas you'd expect with a piece of the pro sport uniform.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I would not want this full time as that would be sacrilege, and this probably 1000% has to do with nostalgia, but I love this Cardinals era. Like loooove it. I would rather trade out the baby blue jersey they do now to add this to the rotation. 

spacer.png

The powder blue uniform would look so much  better with this striping style, whether as a pullover or a button-up.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:03 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

How many fanbases would welcome back pullovers though? The only one that I can think of that would be for going all in on pullovers would be Cincy due to The Big Red Machine.

The current Orioles script would definitely work better on a pullover (or one or two button) jersey. They've never figured out how to deal with the vanishing point, "i" winds up taller than the "l" script across a placket, and I can only see things getting uglier with Nike's "look ma, we saved a nickel per jersey" template. I'd be willing to bet they wind up with a split middle "o" in Orioles...and can't wait to see how they manage to screw up "Baltimore".  It's gonna be bad.
I'm also experiencing a bit of schadenfreude over the idea that the replica jerseys will apparently have wider plackets than the gamers. I'd really love to know what the "designers" at Nike are smoking...so I can never go near it.

• Like 1

MLB had batting practice jerseys like that around 2009-2010 or so. Thanks but no thanks.

Cardinals fans, would you welcome some variation on the old R/W/B striping on a button-down jersey? I sort of see the appeal but I much prefer the blank jerseys and pants for them now: the birds-on-bat is the most detailed script in the league and would suffer from having more design elements to compete with.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

MLB had batting practice jerseys like that around 2009-2010 or so. Thanks but no thanks.

Cardinals fans, would you welcome some variation on the old R/W/B striping on a button-down jersey? I sort of see the appeal but I much prefer the blank jerseys and pants for them now: the birds-on-bat is the most detailed script in the league and would suffer from having more design elements to compete with.

The Mets and (I think) Rangers used a variation of this style.  I say variation, because it's not a true henley, as there's no curvature between the collar and placket - the 2-button placket is squared off, which makes it look very weird.

I wouldn't mind a true henley look, except that 1) it requires pinstriped teams to have trim, which should never happen, and 2) teams with headspoon piping would have three options: a) lose it, b) terminate it at the bottom of the 2-button placket, 3) keep it as is, creating a 'faux placket'.  None of those are good options.

But here's the thing - many, if not most, players have their jerseys sewn shut so that they're effectively henleys anyway.  If they continue to do that, the split letters won't be too much of an issue.  But it's stupid that they can't have what they clearly want, which is a true pullover.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm confused... the 2024 jerseys will only have piping that goes to the edge of the sleeve but Arizona chose to make 2024 jerseys with piping that is higher above the edge of the sleeve? How did that happen and what will their sleeves look like on the field? Or is the piping to the edge thing only on replicas? Has there been any clarification on this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'm confused... the 2024 jerseys will only have piping that goes to the edge of the sleeve but Arizona chose to make 2024 jerseys with piping that is higher above the edge of the sleeve? How did that happen and what will their sleeves look like on the field? Or is the piping to the edge thing only on replicas? Has there been any clarification on this?

I forgot about Arizona's new jerseys. This leads me to believe that the on-field jerseys will still have sleeve piping in their current positions, but the replicas will have it moved to the edge of the sleeve.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, Arizona's may technically be a 2-color sleeve trip instead, with the top half black (teal on the black jerseys). The red uniforms have black/teal/black trim on the sleeves and collar.

corbin-carroll-uniform.jpg

diamondbacks-uniform-gray-24.jpg

arizona-diamondbacks-alternate-black-uniform-new-2024-sportslogosnet.jpgarizona-diamondbacks-alternate-red-uniform-new-2024-sportslogosnet.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, McCall said:

Upon further investigation, Arizona's may technically be a 2-color sleeve trip instead, with the top half black (teal on the black jerseys). The red uniforms have black/teal/black trim on the sleeves and collar.

Woah! This is wild, hadn't noticed that until you said it. Great observation!

8 hours ago, McCall said:

I forgot about Arizona's new jerseys. This leads me to believe that the on-field jerseys will still have sleeve piping in their current positions, but the replicas will have it moved to the edge of the sleeve.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, Arizona's may technically be a 2-color sleeve trip instead, with the top half black (teal on the black jerseys). The red uniforms have black/teal/black trim on the sleeves and collar.

corbin-carroll-uniform.jpg

arizona-diamondbacks-alternate-black-uniform-new-2024-sportslogosnet.jpgarizona-diamondbacks-alternate-red-uniform-new-2024-sportslogosnet.jpg

That road jersey photo! The tiny headspoon, the button/placket pooch above the belt. So very, very sad.

What's with this guy's belt?  Is it some awful custom pattern, or did they not have time to stop by TJ Maxx on the way to the photoshoot to get him a new one?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, ptay said:

Washington Times columnist Thom Loverro:

#Orioles may not be spending money on free agents, but they are about to get a cash infusion. I’m hearing a sponsorship deal is in place with T. Rowe Price for a uniform patch — five years, $75 million

$15MM a year for five years. In real people terms: "I just won Mega Millions!" In MLB terms: "we just defaced our jerseys for the price of a middling infielder. Yay!"

• LOL 1