MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

39 minutes ago, MEANS said:

hmmm might just be a place holder, but interesting to see what is on the bottom left side....poker chips? (lame)

It's dice.  Tellier's claim of  infringement would be highly ironic since he used the Athletics' copyright logo in his concept. 

Las Vegas Athletics — Kyle Tellier

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, MEANS said:

hmmm might just be a place holder, but interesting to see what is on the bottom left side....poker chips? (lame)

Dice. It's from this board.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, bbush24 said:

Definitely darker than they used to be. I miss the old shade badly.

spacer.pngspacer.png 

Nike did this with the Texans (even though the color now matches their deep steel blue) but man. Light navy needs to make a comeback.

Cleveland MLB's official color has bee 289c (same "midnight navy") as Yankees for basically ever.  Doesn't mean that different manufacturers haven't been replicating it differently on fabrics.  It's not a Nike-driven change - though it could be that Nike/Fanatics "fixed" the jersey.

Rays and a few other teams are 282c, a lighter navy that IMO would be better for nearly every other navy team to adopt (basically all except for Yankees.)

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I always wanted the Indians to do midnight navy, deep red, and cream instead of white. A red darker than the ones most teams use could have been what set them off from the rest of the navy/red masses. Block C would have needed an outline on the cap, but it should have had one anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

I always wanted the Indians to do midnight navy, deep red, and cream instead of white. A red darker than the ones most teams use could have been what set them off from the rest of the navy/red masses. Block C would have needed an outline on the cap, but it should have had one anyway.

So basically, their City Connect?

• Like 2

Whew.  Got a job and then my mom's insides exploded (she got better), so it's been a while.

On 7/31/2024 at 11:41 AM, M59 said:

Playing the other teams in your division 19 times a season was worse than what we have now. It made life too easy in the central divisions and too difficult for the small-market teams in the AL East.
Is scheduling all the Yankee$ games in Boston on weekend days good for Boston? No. Those games were likely to sell well during the week, and weekend games are more likely to sell regardless of the opponent. Is it the end of the world? Not last I checked.  

You shouldn't be done playing a team you're fighting head-to-head against for a divisional championship by July.  Not to mention that the old model meant all fans of all schedules could have an opportunity to witness it.  I had a random mid-week season ticket plan and still got a Red Sox game every year because they played each other enough to have midweek games.  (I'm also against the current model of local interleague rivalries being 2-and-2 over four days rather than two full series annually.)

If a team is a fraud because they're beating up on a weak division, then they'll get bounced out quickly by a Wild Card team.  And it's harder for the fourth team in the best division to get in, but that breeds rivalry within the division, which makes the sport more exciting and enjoyable.

If you absolutely want every team to take on ever team, then I suppose you could take those games from the non-divisional opponents so that you would see your favorite team visit once every two years no matter what league you're in.  That would be more muddling of the League traditions that many mourn the loss of, but it would be more advantageous if you must have it than weakening divisional rivalries.

On 8/8/2024 at 9:39 PM, The_Admiral said:

Yeah, what a history, and to think they're throwing it all away to play in America's most hideous city.

If I were to rank relocations by level of righteous indignation, I'd always say Winnipeg Jets at 1 and Supersonics at 2 but the A's might tie for second.

On 8/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Eh, I'd put the original Browns at three, the North Stars at four (couldn't go to the Target Center because of soda contracts), and the Rams from LA to St. Louis at five. Oakland would be number six, for all the awful optics and how the destination city doesn't even want them.

The logo is fine, but what it represents is horrendous and a black mark on the sport.

I didn't realize we were also doing old cities that got new teams.  Baltimore's gotta be high on the list somewhere if we're just talking about the moment.  Not to mention New York/Brooklyn.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:07 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Dunno if I said this before but This logo is nice but underrated because the smiling bird is what people think when they think "Orioles logo"spacer.png

On 9/8/2024 at 4:11 PM, MJD7 said:

I’ve always liked it, the pale yellow color gives it a nice vintage feel, which works really well with Camden Yards. However, I’ve always been partial to the cartoon bird since it was refreshed.

Since my first beginnings getting into these boards and working on the sports infoboxes on Wikipedia, I've found myself having a strong belief in a separate team and cap logo.  Seeing NFL teams just reusing the logos on their helmets as their "primary" (especially teams like the Chargers who have a logo that seems to only work following the curvature of a helmet) seemed like bad branding.  Like it was lacking.  Seeing MLB follow suit in that time with going to one logo (Baltimore, Colorado Detroit, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Texas) or simplified iconography (Boston, ) has been disappointing to witness.

The two birds coexisted for years.  I feel like bringing this back, or even replacing the bird but keeping the overall primary logo would be wonderful.

On 9/13/2024 at 2:06 PM, leopard88 said:

I strongly disagree with the first highlighted section.  I think the Orioles look much better with orange script,  The black just looks too dark in my opinion.

I looked through Dressed to the Nines to follow the described changes through their history and never noticed before the period that they wore orange at home and black away.  I wonder if flipping the colors on the Baltimore wouldn't look nice while calling back to the old black scripts.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Since my first beginnings getting into these boards and working on the sports infoboxes on Wikipedia, I've found myself having a strong belief in a separate team and cap logo.  Seeing NFL teams just reusing the logos on their helmets as their "primary" (especially teams like the Chargers who have a logo that seems to only work following the curvature of a helmet) seemed like bad branding.  Like it was lacking.  Seeing MLB follow suit in that time with going to one logo (Baltimore, Colorado Detroit, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Texas) or simplified iconography (Boston, ) has been disappointing to witness.

The two birds coexisted for years.  I feel like bringing this back, or even replacing the bird but keeping the overall primary logo would be wonderful.

I agree with that to a degree. I do miss the days, even as recent as a decade or so ago, where each team’s primary logo was its own distinct thing, and not just their cap logo.

I do understand why  the change has happened though: with the main places that people view logos now being in social media profile pictures and TV scoreboard tickers, you need something that is simple & discernible in small sizes. With that in mind, I can see why those simpler logos might as well become the primaries. 

This all ties in nicely with what has been discussed about the Twins recently (I believe in the 2025 thread). If the “busier” logos are no longer feasible as the “primaries,” I do appreciate at least having them stick around in a more “corporate” capacity.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2024 at 3:11 PM, BBTV said:

Cleveland MLB's official color has bee 289c (same "midnight navy") as Yankees for basically ever.  Doesn't mean that different manufacturers haven't been replicating it differently on fabrics.  It's not a Nike-driven change - though it could be that Nike/Fanatics "fixed" the jersey.

Rays and a few other teams are 282c, a lighter navy that IMO would be better for nearly every other navy team to adopt (basically all except for Yankees.)

I would say most of the teams that have the dark navy (Yankees, Tigers, & now Twins) are better for it.

Some teams use the darker navy for the cap, but the lighter navy for the jersey (Red Sox, Mariners, & now Braves for some reason). I’d go with the darker navy for all of them, but that’s just a matter of opinion.

The teams that have the lighter navy (just the Rays & Brewers, I think) make it work. I think Cleveland is one that could afford to go back to the lighter navy.

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I miss when they were a majority red team in the 90s

GettyImages-51642732_1517947791419_12802

GettyImages-1143559071.jpg

I'm not sure what they are now. They were navy heavy for awhile, now it could be half and half?

They flirted with it a bit again in the mid-2010’s, too, especially Francisco Lindor:

3SRsAdq.jpg

This is the one thing that’s missing the most with Cleveland’s current look, I think. Especially since the red-heavy sets are associated with their recent periods of most success (although this year is TBD). 

ShHhAyQ.jpg

Especially since the Twins have decided to fully embrace navy, it’d be nice for the Guardians to do the opposite & fully embrace red.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I would say most of the teams that have the dark navy (Yankees, Tigers, & now Twins) are better for it.

Some teams use the darker navy for the cap, but the lighter navy for the jersey (Red Sox, Mariners, & now Braves for some reason). I’d go with the darker navy for all of them, but that’s just a matter of opinion.

The teams that have the lighter navy (just the Rays & Brewers, I think) make it work. I think Cleveland is one that could afford to go back to the lighter navy.

They flirted with it a bit again in the mid-2010’s, too, especially Francisco Lindor:

3SRsAdq.jpg

This is the one thing that’s missing the most with Cleveland’s current look, I think. Especially since the red-heavy sets are associated with their recent periods of most success (although this year is TBD). 

ShHhAyQ.jpg

Especially since the Twins have decided to fully embrace navy, it’d be nice for the Guardians to do the opposite & fully embrace red.

I feel that the Guards should be a majority navy team, as they were during the era of Larry Doby.

larry-doby-signed-photo-3345.jpg?h=1000&

The sleeve patch aside, this is a great uniform and it would be great if the Guardians had a throwback to this in rotation (with a different patch and Guardians script obviously).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Wow, what a terrible look for Cleveland,  so dark navy that they look black.

Terrible team logo, terrible cap logo.

Terrible name.

I could understand them getting rid of Wahoo, but the name? No way in hell.

-

BREAKING NEWS: Adsarebad doesn't like something.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 1

13 hours ago, MJD7 said:

They're in a weird place where 4 of their 5 uniforms are very navy heavy

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

But then their primary home uniform is red heavy.

spacer.png

22 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I looked through Dressed to the Nines to follow the described changes through their history and never noticed before the period that they wore orange at home and black away.  I wonder if flipping the colors on the Baltimore wouldn't look nice while calling back to the old black scripts.

That might look good, but I'm still partial to the orange script. I think it has always looked great on the road greys.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 hours ago, bbush24 said:

They're in a weird place where 4 of their 5 uniforms are very navy heavy

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

But then their primary home uniform is red heavy.

spacer.png

All this illustrates to me is that the Guards should have also explored a colorway change alongside the name change...

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||