2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

For some perspective the last time a team successfully came back from down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Final, the Battle of Stalingrad hadn't even begun yet. 

Crazy how fast this series changed. I thought we were going to have another clunker of a final, now we're set up for one of the most intriguing Game 7s of my lifetime. We can either see a historic comeback completed that sees the best player in the game today get his name on the Cup, or the Panthers just exorcise all their franchise demons and end their 30 year wait at home. 

As someone who does not care for the Panthers at all, I hope the Oilers get it done.

• Like 3

KtHjnlJ.png

What seed are the Oilers in the west?  I looked up a few brackets and can't tell since they don't do 1-8.  Are they 5 since it looks like 4 teams had more points?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

What seed are the Oilers in the west?  I looked up a few brackets and can't tell since they don't do 1-8.  Are they 5 since it looks like 4 teams had more points?

2 seed

https://www.espn.com/nhl/playoff-bracket

Edited by Sec19Row53
Link added

It's where I sit.

They're the Pacific 2 seed.

The NHL strictly speaking doesn't seed outside divisions any more, but depending on how you choose to define they'd work out as either a #4 or a #5.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That's actually what prompted the question, since there's multiple 1s and 2s. 

Question for those that have followed NHL all year - were they viewed as contenders all year, or is making it to game 7 of the finals (or even making it to the finals) considered like one of those times when a low seed gets hot at the right time?

I'm definitely gonna try and watch game 7 - pulling for Canada to win its first since Eric Desjardins and John LeClair were on the Canadiens.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Yeah, they'd be a 5. Under the traditional 1-8 seeding the west would've been

1. DAL (113 P, Central Division Champions)

2. VAN (109 P, Pacific Division Champions)

3. WPG (110 P)

4. COL (107 P)

5. EDM (104 P)

6. NSH (99 P, 38 RW)

7. LAK (99 P, 37 RW)

8. VGK (98 P)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, waltere said:

They're the Pacific 2 seed.

The NHL strictly speaking doesn't seed outside divisions any more, but depending on how you choose to define they'd work out as either a #4 or a #5.

Thanks! I went to the bracket and saw a number. My bad 🙂

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

Question for those that have followed NHL all year - were they viewed as contenders all year, or is making it to game 7 of the finals (or even making it to the finals) considered like one of those times when a low seed gets hot at the right time?

I'm definitely gonna try and watch game 7 - pulling for Canada to win its first since Eric Desjardins and John LeClair were on the Canadiens.

I think they've been viewed as a good team with flaws for at least a few years now. Their relatively low finish this year includes the first 13 games possibly sandbagging to get their coach fired. For their last 69 games, they played at a pace that would have been best in the league.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

GQpY4heWsAEujrV?format=jpg&name=360x360

GQpY5L1XIAA1o0p?format=jpg&name=240x240

With the way the first two games went I was shocked they just managed to make game 3 competitive. Losing they thought a sweep was guaranteed.

Now it's like those first two games never happened. Florida has no real answer and can't stop Edmonton. I don't see what they're going to do any differently than the last 3 plus games that will work. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2024_preseason_odds.html According to Hockey Reference the Oilers did have top 5 Pre-Season Cup odds and they were a popular pick. Less so after they had the awful start, but once they fired the coach and got the bounce they were meeting expectations again though the start doomed their seeding. If they do win Monday you'll hear a lot of comparisons to 2019 St. Louis, but both teams did have higher expectations before awful starts and their heaters were both teams finally playing closer to their potential after coaching changes: though a lot more extreme in St. Louis' case. 

KtHjnlJ.png

I still think the 2012 Kings are a better comparison, who were never truly the 8 seed once you lopped off a non-representative start to the season that got the coach fired.  Those Kings also had a better roster than the '19 Blues, who broke the rule of thumb that the team with more presumptive Hall of Famers wins the Final.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/21/2024 at 10:20 PM, FriedPickles said:

has an NHL team ever blown a 3-0 lead before? I know it hasn't happened in NBA, almost with the Celtics last year

There's been 4 other reverse sweeps in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

1942: Leafs came back against the Red Wings in the Cup Finals

1975: Islanders came back against the Penguins in the 2nd round (they ended up losing to Philly in the next round)

2010: Flyers came back against the Bruins in the 2nd round (Boston even managed to blow a 3-0 lead in Game 7; Flyers lost in the Finals)

2014: Kings came back against the Sharks in the first round (they went on to win the Cup)

On 6/21/2024 at 10:42 PM, Dynasty said:

Connor McDavid will achieve legendry if his team wins this series after coming from an 0-3 deficit and breaking Canada's 31-year cup drought. I think we're going to witness greatness this Monday.

McDavid pulling off the reverse sweep would be legendary. Ending the Canadian Cup drought will just be a piece of minor trivia. Part of why I'm rooting for the Oilers is so that we don't have to keep hearing about this stupid drought every year.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:30 PM, BBTV said:

The Oilers were definitely one of the favourites going into the season, but got off to a terrible start which led to them replacing the coach. They managed to pull off an 8 game winning streak after dropping 3 straight in the regular season, then went on a 16 game winning streak after another 3 game slump, so it makes sense why they had the belief in the room after going down 3-0.

Obviously most people up here will be happy if the Oilers pull it off, but it won't be "Canada winning" the way that it was when the Raptors got their title.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

1975: Islanders came back against the Penguins in the 2nd round (they ended up losing to Philly in the next round)

funny thing is, they didn't just lose to Philly in the next round, they went down 3-0 again and promptly forced another game 7. this was the Isles' third season, by the way.

• Like 2

53Ocz8U.png

Nashville is next 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)