Worst. Logo. Ever.

On 10/20/2023 at 9:44 AM, BrySmalls said:

spacer.png

Save for the gradients, what's actually bad about this logo? The font choice and color scheme seem fine, and even though it feels incredibly generic, it's certainly not as bad of a mess as people are making it out to be.

• Like 1

tinysig.jpg

On 10/19/2023 at 6:14 PM, BadSeed84 said:

309717e660d58ccf9bca416911d2e479.jpg

I don't get the vitriolic hate for this logo. Might not be the best option for Pepsi, and it's definitely a bit generic given the trends at the time, but there's literally nothing inherently bad about the design itself. The wordmark could use better execution but it's really strong and recognizable. The icon is perfectly fine.

• Like 4

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

4 hours ago, Jake3roo said:

Save for the gradients, what's actually bad about this logo? The font choice and color scheme seem fine, and even though it feels incredibly generic, it's certainly not as bad of a mess as people are making it out to be.

I think the hatred is for three reasons:

1.) The gradients make it instantly look dated- gradients have been over for a few years and the colour scheme feels pretty generic as well.

2.) Lack of local flavour- most of the recent MLS expansion crests have a strong local touch, maybe I don't know San Diego well enough, but this could be anywhere.

3.) Expectation- the Wave have a unique colour scheme and a cool aesthetic, and while the Loyal name was iffy, their colour scheme was also excellent- there was reason to think it'd be somewhat related to one, but instead there's a third, mediocre way.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2023 at 8:18 PM, PERRIN said:

I don't get the vitriolic hate for this logo. Might not be the best option for Pepsi, and it's definitely a bit generic given the trends at the time, but there's literally nothing inherently bad about the design itself. The wordmark could use better execution but it's really strong and recognizable. The icon is perfectly fine.

I actually really like the wordmark from this era and the logo in a vacuum is fine. But it was an odd choice for Pepsi and I think everyone knew they'd eventually go back to the classic logo in some form. A strange futurist detour.

2 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I actually really like the wordmark from this era and the logo in a vacuum is fine. But it was an odd choice for Pepsi and I think everyone knew they'd eventually go back to the classic logo in some form. A strange futurist detour.

I don't hate it as much as many people do, but they eventually became very inconsistent with how the branding was applied to each variety that it became a mess.  I remember it was one of the more polarizing things discussed here when it came out (mostly negative), but even though it was clear they'd eventually go back, had they been more consistent, it would have worked just fine.

I wonder if a blending of eras might work - something like keeping the same font, but reverting to the old logo.  Like this:

I0RCdoF.png

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, dont care said:

just made me notice that the swoosh in the “e” is the opposite of that of the globe

Oof, yeah that's bad.  I still think that the concept is sound, but the execution is lacking.  They'd need to get rid of the black too - which, the more I see of the new branding is by far the worst part of it.

Their most famous use of that logo never included black (nor was it solid blue, but I guess they'e all in on being the soda of the Crips.  It doesn't cost three bucks, it costs three buccs.

6549391_orig.jpg?118pepsi_12oz.png?sfvrsn=46c9ae09_3

I think they could have leaned into this more, with a blue can and white stroke around the yinyang (I think there's a black one around the white one.) 

Or maybe kept something similar, but with but with blue replacing the red under the logo.  Then that could be turned silver for diet, gold for caff free, black for no-sugar, pinkinsh for cherry, purple for grape (there really should be a grape Pepsi zero), etc.

The black in the logo and cans is basically the black on the Cowboys necessary.  Unnecessary and jarring.

Off Topic - if anyone finds any Cherry Pepsi Zero, give a guy a tip.  I've had it with Cherry Coke Zero.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

Oof, yeah that's bad.  I still think that the concept is sound, but the execution is lacking.  They'd need to get rid of the black too - which, the more I see of the new branding is by far the worst part of it.

Their most famous use of that logo never included black (nor was it solid blue, but I guess they'e all in on being the soda of the Crips.  It doesn't cost three bucks, it costs three buccs.

6549391_orig.jpg?118pepsi_12oz.png?sfvrsn=46c9ae09_3

I think they could have leaned into this more, with a blue can and white stroke around the yinyang (I think there's a black one around the white one.) 

Or maybe kept something similar, but with but with blue replacing the red under the logo.  Then that could be turned silver for diet, gold for caff free, black for no-sugar, pinkinsh for cherry, purple for grape (there really should be a grape Pepsi zero), etc.

The black in the logo and cans is basically the black on the Cowboys necessary.  Unnecessary and jarring.

Off Topic - if anyone finds any Cherry Pepsi Zero, give a guy a tip.  I've had it with Cherry Coke Zero.

I prefer Coke over Pepsi (Coke Zero over Diet Pepsi & Pepsi Zero). But think Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi is better than Cherry Coke Zero. Wild Cherry Pepsi Zero too is better.

57 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi is better than Cherry Coke Zero.

Funny timing.  Just today, I decided the same.  My work cafeteria recently started carrying Cherry Diet Pepsi so I gave it a try, and now this loyal Cherry Coke Zero drinker has officially switched teams.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:41 PM, BBTV said:

Funny timing. Just today, I decided the same. My work cafeteria recently started carrying Cherry Diet Pepsi so I gave it a try, and now this loyal Cherry Coke Zero drinker has officially switched teams.

As a full-time soda drinker who just made the switch to diet and "Zero" sodas, I agree that Cherry Pepsi Zero is better than the Coke variant. But I'm curious as to your sudden disdain for Cherry Coke Zero.

On topic, however, this is my pick for "Worst. Logo. Ever."

spacer.png

I hate it because it ended the best tradition in sports, paved the way to a "Standardized" Super Bowl logo, and it's just a plain ol' bad logo.

Not only is it simply unappealing and unbalanced, it's far from "timeless," as was the NFL's intent when they introduced this Standardized version SB logos. The gradients are horrible and literally suck and the font was DOA, by which I mean it looks like it belongs in 2006. For that to be your template and representation of the arguably world's biggest game, is a lazy attempt. Furthermore, shoehorning in the Lombardi trophy after 45 years makes no sense. We all know what the Lombardi looks like and it's not an appealing trophy like the Stanley Cup. Keeping on track with the title of the thread, I think the Simpsons said it best, "Why now, why not 20 years ago?" 2011 is a weird year to suddenly feature a boring-looking trophy in every SB logo.

This logo ended the days of "Super Bowl Logo Reveal Day" marked on every logo nerds calendar. It was something special that no other big sports league had. Also, if you were to point to any of the Super Bowl logos from XLV-XLIX and ask me what two teams played in the Big Game that year, I simply couldn't tell you. The past three have gotten better but 50 and the five logos following are arguably more unappealing. For Super Bowls LI-LV, the Lombardi creates this weird gap that makes the logos read as L I, L II, and L III, etc. Or, it creates this illusion where the trophy itself looks like it's supposed to be an 'I.'

As previously mentioned, the past three are better, but they're not necessarily good. They still carry two key elements of the template; the Lombardi and the weird 2006-esque font box. They did change the font but it's only slightly better. Besides, that doesn't really address the entire issue either. The issue is the whole "standardization" aspect: Lombardi in the middle and "Super Bowl" written in boring font. Oh, but make sure you put a nice box around "Super Bowl" and some gradients in it so it looks like a FOX Sports scorebug from the 2000s. Also, make the logo look as rectangularly boring as possible. No movement, no flow, no excitement, No Fun (League).

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 10:46 PM, AHcreative said:

But I'm curious as to your sudden disdain for Cherry Coke Zero

I have no disdain for Cherry Coke Zero, I simply prefer the Pepsi versions (whether diet or zero.)

I enjoyed a Cherry Coke Zero today (since the caf was sold out of the Pepsi version) and it was fine.