2023-24 MLB offseason thread

TrueYankee26

36 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I think the sport absolutely needs a salary floor so we don't have a bunch of "start-and-park" teams like the Marlins every year. But the big-market spending is becoming so out of control that unless there's also a hard salary cap, I don't see how it doesn't eventually end in disaster for the sport.

Get prepared for another big work stoppage once the next CBA negotiations start.

Teams paid a total of $210M in luxury tax this year, of which "The first $3.5 million of tax money is used to fund player benefits and 50% of the remainder will be used to fund player Individual Retirement Accounts. The other 50% of what's left goes to a supplemental commissioner's discretionary fund intended to be given to teams receiving revenue-sharing money that have grown their non-media local revenue over several years."  

And LOL Mets for paying $101M of it.  One hundred one million.  JFC.

I don't understand the bolded part.  It reads like it's an incentive for teams to work on boosting their revenue by rewarding them with more money for doing so.  So it sounds like it's more free money for owners that aren't going to spend it, and an incentive to never spend it.

Also, LOL at "funding IRAs".  That's a lot of money for player IRAs (and since the tax is variable, how's that even work?) and while younger / fringe guys could use it, does Mike Trout really need some retirement fund?  I hope every full-time team employee has a 401(k) or IRA with some kind of employer contribution before guys making 8 figures get one.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39173255/mets-hit-record-101m-luxury-tax-last-place-finish

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it's interesting that MLB has copied the Bettman Bank where they can just give teams money for whatever reason. Hey, "Las Vegas Athletics," is this dumb move blowing up in your face? Here, I found $50 million in Dumb Mets Contract Penalties under the couch, that should tide you over till things straighten out.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think it's interesting that MLB has copied the Bettman Bank where they can just give teams money for whatever reason. Hey, "Las Vegas Athletics," is this dumb move blowing up in your face? Here, I found $50 million in Dumb Mets Contract Penalties under the couch, that should tide you over till things straighten out.

Given that these distributions are tied in at least some way to revenue, you'd think that the teams would have to review and agree to each other's accounting, otherwise someone who's not getting money could accuse another team of cooking their books so that it looks like they're poor, when the suspicion is that they're not.

Or maybe MLB hires PWC or some other firm to audit each team's revenues and the teams agree to go with whatever they say?  My point is, tons of people must see these numbers.  Each team (presumably) gets to see each other's, plus there's the accountants and team lackies that review the findings, etc.  How have these things not leaked?  If the Pirates are legitimately poor, let's see the proof.  My suspicion is that if the truth came out, the fans would rebel because they probably can compete - maybe not with the spending of the Dodgers, but at a much higher level than they are currently at.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

My suspicion is that if the truth came out, the fans would rebel because they probably can compete - maybe not with the spending of the Dodgers, but at a much higher level than they are currently at.

Didn't this happen once before, right down to irate fans, with the Marlins in like 2009-2010?

Big Red Sox/Braves transaction today. Says a lot about the current state of the Red Sox that they'd rather light $17 million on fire and commit their medium-term future middle infield to be doomed to replacement level, over paying for one last year of mysterious Chris Sale injuries. Oh well, good riddance.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm elated for Joe Mauer. I love seeing a homegrown prospect reach the Hall. 

Turning down a football scholarship out of high school (I think it was Florida State) was the best thing to ever happen to him.  

• Like 1

lol, you thought people were being annoying about Taylor Swift being a Pentagon psyop, try a team owned by the guy from THE CARLYLE GROUP

10 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I hope this ownership group is at least willing to spend a little more. We'll see.

Cal Ripken Jr is supposedly part of the ownership as well.

I hope this means MASN can finally get sold or better yet disappear from existence.

I’ll never forgive that ass wagon Peter Angelos for publicly saying “it’s a privilege to watch the Orioles play” in the midst of their laughable multiple 100 loss seasons for the reason as to why they’d never put MASN on streaming services.

Cal Ripken is probalby a much of the ownership as Will Smith is for the 76ers.  

No way Ripken has the money to have any significant amount of shares, and could play a "face" role and be a handhaker, but has no actual say.  

There's "rich", and there's "wealthy".  Other than Lebron and Jordan, I'm not sure there's any athletes that qualify as "wealthy".

As Chris Rock said, "the guys that play the sports are rich.  The guy that signs their checks is wealthy."

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Cal Ripken is probalby a much of the ownership as Will Smith is for the 76ers.  

No way Ripken has the money to have any significant amount of shares, and could play a "face" role and be a handhaker, but has no actual say.  

There's "rich", and there's "wealthy".  Other than Lebron and Jordan, I'm not sure there's any athletes that qualify as "wealthy".

As Chris Rock said, "the guys that play the sports are rich.  The guy that signs their checks is wealthy."

I believe Magic Johnson is up there as well. I don't know what Patrick Mahomes' business acumen is, but Lord knows he's well prepped to get there someday. But other than that...yeah, your point stands.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 1/30/2024 at 8:23 PM, Dynasty said:

I hope this ownership group is at least willing to spend a little more. We'll see.

Question answered?

Welcome to Baltimore, Corbin Burnes!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

10 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Bobby Witt Jr will remain a royal for a long time 

So he's going to take Mike Trout's spot as "really good player on a really bad team with no chance of leaving for an actual contender"