2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

I’m still in disbelief. It will take time to come to terms with this loss. I’ll be sure to catch every Blue Jackets vs. Flames game this season. Johnny, even though you’re no longer with us, your passion for hockey will always be remembered. More than that, you were a true class act, both on and off the ice. No one ever had a negative word about you. You were well-respected, brought joy to those around you, and had a great sense of humor. Your brother, too, was a remarkable person, even though he didn’t make the NHL. Your father raised two outstanding men.

When your children are older, they will hear about your incredible legacy and the positive impact you made on the world.

Johnny, wherever you are, I know you’re still stick-handling that puck and making people smile. You’ll always be remembered as a Flame, and also as a Blue Jacket for two memorable years. I hope both teams, or at least the Flames, will honor you by retiring your number.

Yesterday was an incredibly difficult day, and it’s hard to believe it’s real.

Thank you for all the unforgettable memories and goals, especially that Game 7 OT winner against Dallas that propelled us to the second round. That moment will stay with me forever.
RIP Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau

• Love 7

11 minutes ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

Yesterday was a very hard day for me. It seems like it affected lots of people the same way.  I know I didn't know him personally. I have never been so affected by a famous person's life this bad. Other people felt the same way too.

Hope you're doing much better today. He was a very prominent member in the Calgary community for a while, your emotions are completely valid.

I am sure CBJ and the Flames will do him well with different tributes

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Klondyke said:

Hope you're doing much better today. He was a very prominent member in the Calgary community for a while, your emotions are completely valid.

I am sure CBJ and the Flames will do him well with different tributes

From the Boston area and as the son and nephew of several BC grads, the news to wake up to this past Friday morning was one you always dread but have in the back of your mind can happen at any time and to anybody. An unspeakable and needless punch to the gut. Our dearly departed brothers are with us forever in spirit.

I too am hoping that not only Calgary and Columbus will do something, but also the BC Eagles.

I played junior AGES ago. While we had the option to get a singular pair of gloves from CCM at the time, we also were allowed to use whatever gloves we wanted. Has the rules changed where now the gloves and skates are technically a part of the uniform now and have to be certain colours?

It was also a different time, we hockey gloves were far more stiff, so once players broke them in, they wouldn't want to switch to a new pair.

6 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

I played junior AGES ago. While we had the option to get a singular pair of gloves from CCM at the time, we also were allowed to use whatever gloves we wanted. Has the rules changed where now the gloves and skates are technically a part of the uniform now and have to be certain colours?

It was also a different time, we hockey gloves were far more stiff, so once players broke them in, they wouldn't want to switch to a new pair.

These are the only two examples I can think of, but two players have single-handedly changed the gloves color scheme of a whole team as a result of "defying" the rules and wearing more custom gloves. I believe MIA/Warrior played a huge part in this

The Thrashers wore plain navy gloves with yellow trim for years until Kovy started experimenting with powder blue and white. The rest of the team sometimes followed but as far as I can remember, the equipment manager (or general manager?) didn't seem to care that the whole team weren't wearing matching gloves

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I think the Thrashers' front office wasn't too worried about this kinda stuff

Marian Hossa single-handedly made the Penguins add Vegas gold trim to their gloves

spacer.png

The next year even Crosby had Vegas gold on his gloves. Huge upgrade imo

spacer.png

Alexander Korolyuk to a lesser extent really liked to match his white skates with white gloves but the rest of the team didn't really follow him

spacer.png

So to answer your question, I'm sure there are rules but some teams don't seem to enforce them too much. The only reason you don't see too much gear stand out (especially these days, no player really stands out gear-wise as even the white skates have become uncommon, we're really witnessing a cultural shift and no one is talking about it!) is because of the extremely traditional and conservative hockey culture. Even if the FO and your coach allowed it, you don't wanna be the only guy on the Red Wing bench with all-white gloves lol. You'd expose yourself to too much chirping and bullying

Sorry for derailing the thread. Nerd rant over

"Conservative hockey culture" is a reliable old punching bag but sometimes the group is more important than the individual for very good reasons. A hockey team where everyone was in business for themselves would be a disaster, and not just because their gloves didn't match.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

"Conservative hockey culture" is a reliable old punching bag but sometimes the group is more important than the individual for very good reasons. A hockey team where everyone was in business for themselves would be a disaster, and not just because their gloves didn't match.

I'm not saying conservative hockey culture is a bad thing, I actually like that hockey is the ultimate team sport and that the team will always be more important than any individual

I'm just lamenting the slow but steady disappearance of white skates, tinted/notch cut visors and the Bauer 4500 helmet over the last decade or so lol

It wasn't always a negative thing, even Gretzky at some point had white skates with blue holders, and no one will ever accuse the great one of not being a team player. These days everyone looks the exact same and wears the exact same gear. It's boring

6 minutes ago, schlim said:

Was it the Panthers that wanted or did have claws printed on each finger of their glove?

Maybe the Preds?

spacer.png

Never actually worn in a game as far as I can tell. Would have been a cool gimmick for a third jersey or something imo. Not 82+ games a year

Also, look at those navy numbers on the red jerseys. Yikes

https://www.flapanthersvault.com/item/claw-glove-prototype-1993/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

In the 90's,  most gloves you'd get from sporting good stores were black or white, so it was not really much of an issue. I 100% see your point though

Goodness, I am old

• Like 1

• LOL 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Fanatics just spent millions on Fanatics Fan Fest in NYC, getting every big name  they could find. Like, you're willing to spend all this money and time on marketing, while continuing to let the same third party manufacturers make the same mistakes?

Like, before some of this stuff gets to market, is posted online, or is shipped, it has to go through 3-4 sets of eyes. They clearly have a flawed corporate culture that they are unwilling to address. It's also a bit of a tell that they are outsourcing way too much work for the sake of saving a buck.

mens-fanatics-johnny-gaudreau-navy-colum

I was looking to buy a Gaudreau jersey, but the logo is incorrect on NHL Shop and now I'm too gun shy to pull the trigger. I'm worried I'm gonna get Fanaticsed.

What it's supposed to look like for reference. The silver outline of the top of the star overlaps the flag. 

Columbus-Blue-Jackets-Logo.png

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Dislike 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

54 minutes ago, Sport said:

mens-fanatics-johnny-gaudreau-navy-colum

I was looking to buy a Gaudreau jersey, but the logo is incorrect on NHL Shop and now I'm too gun shy to pull the trigger. I'm worried I'm gonna get Fanaticsed.

What it's supposed to look like for reference. The silver outline of the top of the star overlaps the flag. 

Columbus-Blue-Jackets-Logo.png

Seems like Columbus jerseys in real life look better than the photoshopped versions on the site.

Columbus Blue Jackets Jersey Fanatics Adult Small Hockey NHL - Picture 1 of 4

Fanatics Pierre Luc-Dubois Columbus Blue Jackets Jersey Mens Size M NHL Hockey - Picture 1 of 11

Although this one looks to be like the Fanatics site version for some reason (this might be a first run mistake and they fixed it after this, as most jerseys on eBay look to have a pretty accurate logo)

Columbus Blue Jackets Jersey Nick Foligno #71 Captain Fanatics Hockey Mens Large

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.