2024 NFL Changes

On the Giants:

-I liked them going to white pants at home. (Did not need the gray stripes though)

-I did not like them going to white pants on the road

-I prefer the stripes on the old gray pants more than the current/most recent.

I saw a fix for the Giants road that would goin a long ways and it was just changing either the inner or outer stripes on the sleeves to blue. Blue socks might help too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I saw Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden at an amphitheatre when it was like nearly 100 degrees. The music was good but the sweat was awful. In fact amphitheatres just suck in general.

If you want to watch a rock concert in comfort, watch it on TV. The sweat, the smell, the claustrophobia, the standing on your feet with nowhere to sit while you wait and wait for the house lights to go down, it's called being alive, baby! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

On the Giants:

-I liked them going to white pants at home. (Did not need the gray stripes though)

-I did not like them going to white pants on the road

-I prefer the stripes on the old gray pants more than the current/most recent.

I saw a fix for the Giants road that would goin a long ways and it was just changing either the inner or outer stripes on the sleeves to blue. Blue socks might help too.

I like the blue socks idea to bookend the uniform. The sleeve change could work too, but the pant stripes would also need to be changed because they were designed to match the sleeves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Maybe for one team, but both Texas teams are doing that now. At least the Giants' uniforms are basic enough that it's not a big stretch and use the same colors. When I see the Cowboys in navy, I've had to remind myself more than once who they are.

3 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Oh for sure. I don’t get at all why the Texans decided to swerve away from the horns on the blue jersey. 

The Cowboys works because they don’t want to wear the Navys anyways, so it being a change of pace designwise tracks. 

As for their mismatched blues, ideally I’d have them fix it, but I respect how they’ve kept it that way so long.

If the sleeves horns were red with the insert being white I would love the navy primary a lot more.

I just wanted the primary to be red... 😥😭😠

As for the Cowboys, blame the Toughening for widening the desync. It started in 81 and got worse in 96.

1 hour ago, rfraser85 said:

I like the blue socks idea to bookend the uniform. The sleeve change could work too, but the pant stripes would also need to be changed because they were designed to match the sleeves.

Blue helmet and socks with the current road set would work as is. It the stripes were blue it would be too blue heavy I think.

54 minutes ago, MrAstrodome said:

If the sleeves horns were red with the insert being white I would love the navy primary a lot more.

I just wanted the primary to be red... 😥😭😠

As for the Cowboys, blame the Toughening for widening the desync. It started in 81 and got worse in 96.

Blue helmet and socks with the current road set would work as is. It the stripes were blue it would be too blue heavy I think.

I don't want the shoulders and pants changed either. I was just pointing out the pants stripes were changed to match the shoulders with the road whites in 2021, so both would have to be changed together for that to work. But as @seasaltvanilla pointed out, the Giants' nickname is Big Blue, so adding more blue wouldn't hurt.

6 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

I think the primaries, especially if the Pats wear silver pants with the navy jerseys, would be better against the Rams because of the Super Bowl wins. But using the throwbacks full time starting next year is an interesting idea.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

This debate will probably never end and that's probably because there is no right answer. History is crazy complex. As society progresses and changes, the ideas of the past get simplified and all context of past eras is lost.  This causes people to label people, groups, and movements of the past as simply "good" or "bad". 

There is an issue that I have with that way of thinking. It seems that people either say "that concept from the past is bad! Get rid of it and never speak of it again!" (see statues of figures from Civil War era that get ripped down, etc.) - or - people say "stop being a snowflake and get over it!" (see people that fly confederate flags just to piss people off). 

There is a ground - it's called the middle - where society can actually  learn from the past, accepting the good and the bad of each individual scenario. Our history shouldn't be erased, but we should also expect ourselves to grow from it. 

So how does this tie into Washington? Well, as I see it, I think a side step in branding, keeping the same logo and uniforms but just changing the name, would have been a fantastic move. I also think teams with Native American themed names could and should go a step further and involve those communities with their teams with charity and game festivities. Let them be a part of the franchise - after all that is who you are honoring. Bring a positive change to something about the past that was carrying some negativity. GROW FROM IT.  Feel free to thumbs me down, but if you do, please let me know why you think the Blackhawks, Chiefs, Seminoles, etc are exempt from this discussion then. Because if Washington just changed their nickname, they would be no different than those teams. 

Pardon the essay here, but I also want to say this. The term "Native American" is no better in my eyes than Cleveland's old nickname or Washington's old nickname. They weren't "American" until Europeans got here and the work "native" sparks the idea of some old cartoon that mocks them. They are Apache, Cherokee, etc.

Respect.  The mature perspective is much appreciated.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

CEASE AND DESIST

OK, kids, you've had your fun, but it's time to move on. You are free debate the merit or lack thereof of the Washingtons old identity until you're blue in the face - you just can't do it here. It's been beaten to death so many times that cats are envious of the number of lives it has. Either take it somewhere else or stop talking about it.

Thanks.

Thank you. Can’t speak for anyone else but I definitely needed to be told. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I miss the grey pants on the Giants with a fervor.

For a hot minute there at the high point of the Eli era, I had the Giants among the best uniforms in football.

I'm an absolute sucker for the 1960's aesthetic in multiple sports and as much as the grey pants didn't necessarily connect to the rest of the uniform, it still looked totally unique. (Mind you this part of the Reebok era was also the high point of shiny pants so flat deliberately grey pants was something really different.)

It didn't bother me that there was no blue on the road jersey because the grey pants gave that set some balance and when a team can pull off different home and away templates I'm all over it.

rvgg3dcp6em5ooft56ei.jpg

NAkuF0.jpg

If they insist on doing a rif on the 80's look, I would much prefer it to be in keeping with the late 60's design but just changing out the helmet logo. Stick to non-outlined numbers and plain blue home jerseys.

https-3A-2F-2Fgmenhq-com-2Fwp-content-2F

fran-tarkenton-new-york-giants-qb.jpg

Agreed on the grey pants bit. They provided just enough balance to where neither jersey looked out of place. 

As far as throwbacks: I like the ‘80s blue throwback, but there’s absolutely no need for a white version too - those white jerseys never appeared in a Super Bowl, the overall design is generic, and they insist on the historical inaccuracy of plain white socks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Thank you. Can’t speak for anyone else but I definitely needed to be told. 

The mod team doesn't like being this strict on the topic, but every conversation about the Washingtons old identity inevitably ends up turning into a political flame war. And it usually just gets worse from there.

• Like 6

BB52Big.jpg

At the end of the Jags schedule release video, which is well done if you're an X-Men '97 fan, the young boy at the beginning of the video is grown up at the end, and at the 1:27 mark, before getting up from his seat in front of the TV, he throws a Fred Taylor throwback jersey over his shoulder.  It'll be the '97-'08 number font, not the '95-96. 

Antonio Brown...right again.

https://www.jaguars.com/schedule/

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

New England had the Colts as the host team (one of them being overseas) the last two years, due to finishing in the same place.  This year is their opportunity to use the red throwbacks on their old AFC East rival before it slips by.

Based on the pattern since the throwbacks were revived, it looks like there's a good chance of it happening. The Patriots have worn the red throwbacks for their first December home game. And the other sometime in the first half of the season.

8 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Texans make alt uniforms only to wear them for two games 🙄

That is how it should be.  I'll bet they wear the red again on either Christmas Day or week 12 against Tennessee.

• Like 4