Nicknames ending in S

Broken Record

I remember when the Oilers moved to Tennessee and there was a lot of hoopla about what to name the team. During that disucssion, it seems I heard that the NFL only allows team nicknames that end in an "s".

Major League Baseball also seems to have this rule (except for the sox teams which might as well be an s)

The NHL and the NBA obviously don't have this requirement.

Does anyone know if this is actually league policy for the NFL and MLB? Just curious.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad that they have this apparent rule. Unless using a singular noun to describe something plural, like infantry, singular nouns (or adjectives) just sound terrible. Like, Magic, or Wild. I just can't stand those names, along with almost all WNBA names and most MLS names.

VmWIn6B.png

I'm glad that they have this apparent rule. Uniess using a singular noun to describe something plural, like infantry, singular nouns just sound terrible. Like, Magic, or Wild. I just can't stand those names, along with almost all WNBA names and most MLS names.

That's funny...I kind of thought that those were adjectives. :blink: Anyone fo sho about the actually use of the words?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

That's funny...I kind of thought that those were adjectives. :blink: Anyone fo sho about the actually use of the words?

whoops, forgot about adjectives. sorry, i'm an engineering major, so I've forgotten most of the english language rules :wacko:. I edited the post, but... you know what I mean

VmWIn6B.png

whoops, forgot about adjectives. sorry, i'm an engineering major, so I've forgotten most of the english language rules :wacko:. I edited the post, but... you know what I mean

Whoah.... don't go changing it. I was asking a serious question. I thought they were used as adjectives, but they could very well be nouns. Many people in the Minnesota front office have called their logo "a wild" in the past.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Whoah.... don't go changing it. I was asking a serious question. I thought they were used as adjectives, but they could very well be nouns. Many people in the Minnesota front office have called their logo "a wild" in the past.

They seem all like nouns, but then again, they could be adjectives. See, this is the can of works that was opened by the dang singular nicknames.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't think it's a written rule, but MLB does in fact prohibit singular names. This came up when the VA group wanted to call their relocation team the Virgnia Fury. :rolleyes:

I'm glad they have this rule. Both MLB and the NFL have a tradition worth defending, a tradition that would be cheapened by goofy names like "Wild" and "Heat."

I think 'Jazz' is the only really good name that doesn't end with 'S'.

I happen to think Jazz is the worst of the names. Seriously, Jazz? That is BRUTAL for a sports team.

Jazz was good for New Orleans, but they probably should have changed when they moved to Utah.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think 'Jazz' is the only really good name that doesn't end with 'S'.

I happen to think Jazz is the worst of the names. Seriously, Jazz? That is BRUTAL for a sports team.

Jazz was good for New Orleans, but they probably should have changed when they moved to Utah.

Hell yeah. For maybe New Orleans but Utah Jazz? That is just terrible.

There is probably an unwritten rule for MLB for singular nick names not to be used, as to not make the name semi-gimmicky. Of course the exceptions in baseball are the Red Sox and White Sox.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

During that disucssion, it seems I heard that the NFL only allows team nicknames that end in an "s".

There is no such rule. Among the names that were being considered for what ultimately became the Tennessee Titans were several that didn't end in "s."

Don't remember the entire list of 34 names that were "finalists," but I do remember that "Fury" were among them.

No pro league has such a rule. Team owners pay millions of dollars for franchises, and can name them as they please. Otherwise the NFL would probably have made Jack Kent Cooke change the name of the Redskins back in the early '80's.

nav-logo.png

Archived