Euro style names for MLS

WideRight

After the announcement of ReAL Salt Lake (Urgh!) there has been a bit of debate over US soccer teams imitating European/Global football names. I think it can work if done right, and would use DC United as an example. But, I don't think FC Dallas or ReAL SLC work at all.

So, A challenge: Come up with a new identity for an MLS team, using a Euro style.

My pick: Change the Metrostars

New Name: Gotham SC (Soccer Club)

Crest: Similar to Valencia or Albacete, with the Bat over the shield. Shield would

evoke skyscrapers with a soccer ball in front.

Colors: Black is predominant, but with an electric blue and silver highlights

(similar to Carolina Panthers colors)

Primary kit: Black socks & shorts, Jersey is halved, black on right (wearer's right, not onlooker's right), white on left (this is reverse on back of jersey) with black sleeves. Crest on Right chest, "GOTHAM" across midchest

Secondary kit: White socks & shorts, electric blue jersey with 1 black vertical

stripe down left chest (over heart) with crest on black stripe

and GOTHAM across chest, but ending before it hits black stripe.

So, what about Dallas? San Jose? New England, etc.? Please only 1 idea per post. and try to include more than just a name.

nothin personal but we ain't everybody else. i like my jerseys with wordmarks on the front (or in the Milwaukee Wave's case, a big logo on front). and i'll keep my Columbus Crew, thank you. ^_^

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

im not modifing an mls team, but im psoting this here because it goes along with euro style names in north america. in canada we follow the american modle when it comes to naming soccer teams, but we're wose at it then u are. some of the names canadian teams come up with are just lame.

there was talk about the mls pssibly expanding to toronto a couple of mounths ago. if the did, i hope thyey picked a tradiotional soccer name.

with that said, i bring u the crest of toronto united:

torunlogo.JPG

and the unis:

torun.gif

*the stialized soccer ball is not my creation. i cant remember were i got it, but just to let u know, its not mine, i just like how it looked.

I always liked DC United and thought that if they ever put a team in Portland, that they need to incorporate "Rose City" into the name somehow.

I think the name changes are a good thing. Like it or not, soccer names that sound like American sport teams just don't work well and the changes make sense now that the league has been around a while.

Though Chivas USA annoys me.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

this is my second attempt at a mls expansion team in canada: real ottawa. ottawa is the ONLY city in north america that can use the name "real....." as the name of a soccer team because it is the capital of canada, while canada is part of teh british commonwealth. it is teh only north american city that has any affiliation with a monarchy.

so here it is, the unis and crest of real ottawa:

realott.gif

Unfortunately neither Ottawa nor the British Commonwealth is Spanish. "Real" is.

good point. real in spanish for royal. the british commonwealth is mostly eniglish, and canada's two official langueges are french and english. as it turns out, royal in french is also royal. so the team would be named "royal ottawa"

OK, I'm finally ready to try to submit something.

The Chicago Fire would simply be FC Chicago:

fc_chicago1.jpg

I'm figuring to keep the red white and blue as the colors, and the type and shape of the "C" would more or less link the team to other Chicago teams (U of Chicago Maroons, the Bears & the Cubs in particular).

Now that is a solid logo. I always liked the idea of crest like logos for soccer teams, following the Euro-style. And I think the tie-in to the Cubs and Bears is cool. Nice job Mr. King.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

OK, I'm finally ready to try to submit something.

The Chicago Fire would simply be FC Chicago:

fc_chicago1.jpg

I'm figuring to keep the red white and blue as the colors, and the type and shape of the "C" would more or less link the team to other Chicago teams (U of Chicago Maroons, the Bears & the Cubs in particular).

I like that, too.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• 2 weeks later...

A More Euro MLS

Some teams such as DC United, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas, and Chivas USA are already there. So I tried as best I could to alter a few of the others.

Kansas City Wizards to K.C. Hotspur

If Dallas hadn't already changed from the Burn, I'd think this would be a better fit for them. but it still kinda works for KC as well. Although my guess is Hotspur would have an altogether different meaning for Americans (cowboys) than it does for the people of Totham (folk hero).

NY/NJ MetroStars to Empire City Metro

To me, the MetroStars are a team that couldn't decide on a nickname much less a geographical identity. Since New York is known as the Empire State, I figure calling NYC the Empire City over Gotham or Big Apple isn't that far of a stretch. Keeping the name Metro retains some of the original identity and still includes New Jeresy since they are in the metro region of NYC. Besides, "Empire City" sounds more Euro.

New England Revelution to Revelution

Think of them as North America's answer to "Arsenal". Just one word. Says it all. I had considered "Nova Anglo" and "Foxborough FC" but this change was simpler and for some reason seemed right. "Machester United vs. Arsenal" & "DC United vs. Revelution"

San Jose Earthquakes to Golden Gate

This teams already gone through one identity change, and the team still struggles at the box office. So I thought expanding their home base to include the entire San Francisco Bay area (SanFran & Oakland), it might also broaden their appeal. I also thought of the old San Francisco Warriors of the NBA and their old "The City" uniforms.

Colorado Rapids to Rio Colorado

Simply altered the name without really changeing the overall identity. for some reason I can hear an anouncer on Univision rolling his "R"'s and shouting "RRRR-io Colo-RRRRRR-ado GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Chicago Fire to Great Lakes

I'd keep th Chicago FD moniker, I think it works well as a Euro football badge. The new name covers more area. They could move to Detroit, Milwaukee, or Cleveland without much alteration.

Los Angeles Galaxy to Galaxia de LA California

Okay bad pun I admit, but it sure as heck beats Chivas USA.

Honestly, they need to go back to the drawing board on that one..... :blink:

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived