Worst Team Nickname

zer0dotcom

Spinning from an idea I got from the "team names ending with S" thread.

Which team nickname worst suits it city? anysport, any level, which nickname is just downright out of place and could use a change?

The Mighty Ducks is pretty high on my list, nut thats mostly becasue I hated MD 2 and 3. I'm not a fan of naming teams after feature films.

On thats bugged me over time, after the 'coolness' wore off is the Raptors. OK, Jurassic Park is responcible for this one, seriously, before that movie, when had you ever heard of the word Raptor before?

I suppose it couldhave been downright terrible, like Toronto-saurus Rex (yeah, I actually heard that one tossed about ont eh radio) If it wasn't for the movie Franchise, the name would have been different. I've always thought that a name like the Towers, or dusting off the old Huskies Monaker would have worked just as well, and perhaps make the team sound more tradtional or 'serious' for lack of a better word.

Raptors though does have a butt load of marketing potential.

what are some of your 'wrost nicknames' for a sports team?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utah Jazz

Mighty Ducks

Blue Jackets (yeah I know it fits the team location--but it just doesn't sound hockey)

Magic (yeah I know the Disney connection--see the first post)

I may think of others...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Most of the names that bother me fall under the following categories:

- Any name that replaces "s" with "z" at the end of a word

- Any name with an adjective and a noun compounded together (CityHawks)

- Any name with an nonsequitur adjective-noun combination (Water Cats)

- Most names based on verbs (Crunch)

But there is the expression, "The call of the Wild", and that's why I like the name, when I usually don't like non "s" ending team names...

(and imagine how much worse an adverb would be--as in the Minnesota Wildly!)

And I thought of another, form the old RHI--the Calgary Radz-

it ends in "z" not "s" and it's an adjective. (Radical or Rad for short)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Minnesota Wild.

Not just because it's a singular name -- at least other singular names are nouns. "Wild" is an adjective!

I remember hearing that the "Wild" in "Minnesota Wild" wasn't supposed to be taken as an adjective but as a shortened version of "Wilderness".

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Utah Jazz is the worst by far. I actually like Wild.

Sure there are a lot of examples where singular names sound kind of stupid, but there are just as many where they actually sound good. For example, i don't hear anybody complaining about the singular name of the Colorado Avalanche.

IUe6Hvh.png

Lethbridge is a very windy place...

yes-Hurricanes is an overstatement, but then a lot of things about sports are overstatements.

Yeah but look at all the other teams with the name Hurricane. Those I can see. But as you said hyperbole is allowed.

This one still bothers me, Kelowna Rcokets (WHL). In Tacoma it made sense with the rocket building that occured in the 30's and 40's and was the original team name back in the PCHL. When they moved to Kelowna after the lastest stay in Tacoma, the name moved too and makes no sense.

Port Adelaide Power.

What is a power?

And agree with the mis-spelling thing Katz etc.

and agree with

- Any name with an adjective and a noun compounded together (CityHawks)

- Any name with an nonsequitur adjective-noun combination (Water Cats)

no idea... power sucks though.... what about the Zebras? Sandringham Zebras in the VFL and Northern bullants (they both suck) and the VFL has 2 teams called the tigers- Werribbee had it first then Coburg changed when it formed alliance with Richmond but ireckon 'Casey Power' sounds cool imo...that's why i used it + i named the team before Port Power exisrted

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Minor league have bad names.. that's part about being minor league.....

In pro sports? The Wild. It always was a bad name. However, the logo and jerseys make up for it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think the Power were so named because there's a major power station in the Port Adelaide area. I don't mind the name anyway... it's not as bad as some of the non-'S' names that are out there.

I don't like names such as: Rabbits, Magpies, Roosters, etc... totally unintimidating names for a professional sports team. Granted that's not why they were chosen, but they always seems to lack a bit in the balls department.

Mighty Ducks. When was the last time you saw a mallard bench-pressing 300 lbs.? Nothing more to say.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Bad names?

Most of them come from teams that have moved, not changed the nickname, and no longer make much sense. i.e. Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, LA Lakers, etc. It's less harsh in the case of the Grizzlies, where the name implies an animal whose traits you might want to convey to your on-court performance... it's a mascot. However "Jazz" is no mascot, neither are "Lakers".

I hear lots of complaints about singular nicknames, but I think they can be done well. Minnesota Wild, for example. Colorado Avalanche, Tampa Bay Lightning, etc. all work just fine.

It's the stupid hyphenated names that get to be. Ice(insert animal here) for hockey, River(insert anything here) for pretty much any sport, etc.

I like the Toronto Raptors name. It's one of the few dinosaur nicknames, and considering how non-extinct ferocious animals have been done to death (Wildcats, Bears, Lions, etc), I consider dinosaurs to be more than fair game.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived