Worst Team Nickname

zer0dotcom

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macon Whoopee

- I actually like the play on words, but it is bad.

Utah Starzz

- everything that is wrong with team nicknames today. It is based on the defunct ABA Utah Stars, whose name (like "Jazz") came to Salt Lake City when the team moved from Los Angeles. Since "Stars" has an 's' on the end (and is already used by Dallas' NHL franchise), we'll just stick two z's on the end. Fortunately, this WNBA franchise moved to San Antonio (who changed the name to Silver Stars - with an 's'!)

Montreal Canadiens- The only way this name survives is the local spelling. If it had been spelled otherwise, it would be so uncreative it would be like an American team known as the Americans. Nowadays, that would be uncreative.

Rochester Americans, anyone? New York Americans?

Don't forget the Tri-City Americans (WHL)

I don't have a problem with two word team names, if they make sense--

as in Polar Bears for example...

As for the Islanders, I remember a spoof where the Islanders were cannibals...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

MLS had (has?)some awful ones -

Tampa Bay Mutiny

San Jose Clash

Dallas Burn

and fron the NASL

Oakland Stompers

New England Tea Men

Miami Gatos

Calgary Boomers

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

MLS had (has?)some awful ones -

Tampa Bay Mutiny

San Jose Clash

I remember going to Mutiny games. I could never understand why they weren't pirate based, with a name like Mutiny and the obvious tie-ins with the stadium they played in (Raymond James, with the pirate ship). Instead it was some freaky little mutant bat. I think Mutiny was a good name for this team, but executed very poorly.

As for Clash, just no. What's Clash got to do with a scorpion anyway?

Roanoke Dazzle. I could understand if this was a team in the WNBA, but a mens basketball team. How girly!

Almost every team that puts Ice before the rest(Ice Pilots, Ice Gators, IceHogs, Ice Cats, Ice Dogs, Ice Bats, Ice Bears) However I can live with teams that are simply the Ice (Indiana Ice)

Signature intentionally left blank

And I change my mind -- even worse than the Utah Jazz in the area of worst sports team name would have to be the...

Syracuse Orange

It's a singular color name.  Pathetic.

There is precedent and tradition for college teams to use singular color names:

Harvard Crimson

Stanford Cardinal

Dartmouth Big Green

Cornell Big Red

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Wouldn't this have been so much better?

1974- New Orleans Jazz founded

1979- Jazz move to Salt Lake City, become Utah Raptors

1995- Toronto granted NBA franchise, given name Huskies

i like that. it ties in the new toronto franchise with the original one (the first ever nba game was between the ny knicks and the toronto huskies).

How about the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. It isn't bad enough that the University of Tulsa sports teams are named after a weather phenomenon that has never occurred within about 1000 miles of Tulsa, but there also isn't an "S", it's just Hurricane.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Wouldn't this have been so much better?

1974- New Orleans Jazz founded

1979- Jazz move to Salt Lake City, become Utah Raptors

1995- Toronto granted NBA franchise, given name Huskies

i like that. it ties in the new toronto franchise with the original one (the first ever nba game was between the ny knicks and the toronto huskies).

It would have been so much cooler IMO with the Huskies monaker

How about the ABA's Gwinett Gwizzlies... You don't see Grizzlies that much, if ever, in Atlanta, much less Gwizzlies <_<

When they named the team they were origionally to be the Gwinnett Grizzlies, but when making the announcement, there was an error and the name said Gwizzlies instead of Grizzlies. They liked the incorrect spelling so they kept it.

Signature intentionally left blank

And I change my mind -- even worse than the Utah Jazz in the area of worst sports team name would have to be the...

Syracuse Orange

It's a singular color name. Pathetic.

Harvard Crimson

Stanford Cardinal

Dartmouth Big Green

Cornell Big Red

True -- but the Orange don't have tradition to blame for their crappy name.

Atleast 'Big Red' and 'Big Green' aren't one word color names and use the color as a noun, Harvards name is just as bad and Stanfords is actually tolerable, for whatever reason.

IUe6Hvh.png

Syracuse Orange

It's a singular color name. Pathetic.

Harvard Crimson

Stanford Cardinal

Dartmouth Big Green

Cornell Big Red

True -- but the Orange don't have tradition to blame for their crappy name.

Atleast 'Big Red' and 'Big Green' aren't one word color names and use the color as a noun, Harvards name is just as bad and Stanfords is actually tolerable, for whatever reason.

In defense of my school...

They were the Orange, informally, in things like chants (Lets' Go Orange) and t-shirts. It's not like it came out of the clear blue sky...

I wasn't crazy about the name at first, but I love and completely understand the name now, and really, once the basketball team hits the court, I won't care what they're called anymore.

But Discrim is absolutely right about the other teams here in Syracuse (Crunch, SkyChiefs, etc.) Their names suck, and the change from Chiefs to SkyChiefs sucked. I loved the old Chiefs logo.

Another name that bothers me...the USC women's teams being the "Women of Troy"...just bad. Hell, call them the "Trojennes" or something silly like that...anything but "Women of Troy"

Archived