Hate them, love him...!

Swiss

As a Red Sox and SF Giants fan, I could say that I like great guys like Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Pedro, Rob Nen, etc, etc!

And supposedly I "must" hate the bitter rivals that are in the opposite sidewalk: the Yanks and the Dogs.

But that thing never let me stop some admiration and/or sympathy toward guys like Lou Gehrig, Casey Stengel and Donnie Baseball among the Bronx men and Tommy Lasorda, Jackie Robinson, Gil Hodges and Sandy Koufax among the Blue men.

Why? Some of those guys gave some lessons of sportsmanship and human character (Gehrig, p.e.) and the others only wake me up a smile with their antics (Stengel and Lasorda but, hey, they are smart baseball people).

If you want, tell your baseball club, who are the rivals that you like most... and the why. :)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I hate what David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon do to my Yankees.

But they obviously have fun playing baseball and they don't take themselves too seriously or concern themselves with the petty peripheral stuff like squabbles or feuds generated by the media. They just play baseball, have a good time, and, unfortunately for me, they do it pretty darn well too.

well i cant say the same for baseball, but i do have the same sort of thing for football.

im a diehard Buffalo Bills fan, and therefore i despise the Miami Dolphins. The only thing this year better than seeing Willis McGahee run over every opponent in his path (except the Pats...), is seeing the Miami Dolphins struggle to not be the worst team in the league.

but last week, seeing AJ Feeley rally the Dolphins with who-knows-how many injuries, i earned a lot of respect for that kid. he may not be the most effective passer (well, hes at least better than fiedler), but he sure is a trooper. to be writhing in pain from a dislocated finger on one play, then to snap it back in place and then drive your rag-tag team down the field in that kind of pain was very impressive. he is probably the one player on the Dolphins who i wouldn't mind seeing succeed.

otherwise, PHINSBLOW.gif

Now that we're on football... The one rival team I have a lot of respect for... Are the Panthers. Even though they are ridiculously injury riddled, and are looking nothing like the super bowl team of last year, they are still in the playoff race, and playing like its their last each game. And for that, they have my respect as a fan. But I still hate the Panthers like I hate the devil :evil:

But that thing never let me stop some admiration ....

I totally understand this. I hate the Yankees, but have always liked Jeter. He seems to always present himself with class. And he always seems to be enjoying himself on the field. It looks like he truly loves the game. I admire that.

Also (on the hockey side of this), I am a die-hard Red Wings fan. Absolutely hate the Colorado Avalanche. But there is no way anyone will tell me that Joe Sakic is not the classiest player in the game today. Maybe even one of the classiest players to play in the NHL ever. And the man has mondo-mega skill.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I despise the Cowboys.

But how can you hate Emmitt Smith? He's all class and deserves the NFL career rushing record.

He's earned it. Barry Sanders "deserves" it though.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I hate the Red Wings, but I cut Chelios and CuJo some slack cus they were Badgers (albeit CuJo was only a Badger for a year, but still). Hate teh Vikings but Michael Bennett, same deal. ex-Badger, he's exempt. and i have no love for Marquette but Dwayne Wade, I'm gonna hold him up as an example of what's good about sports.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I hate the Packers, but cannot help but like Favre. Well, I don't like him. But I respect the hell out of him.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Hmmm... well, I dislike the Red Wings, but I respect Yzerman a lot.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are rivals, but I like Daved Benefield and Danny Barrett.

I very much dislike the New England Patriots, but I certainly respect what they've done, building around the team concept.

I dislike the New Jersey Nets, but I like Richard Jefferson.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Seeing John Elway driving down the field against my Chiefs in Mile High year after year made my blood run cold, but God I respect that man. I would gladly have traded all 43 quarterbacks the Chiefs used during his tenure in Denver for him. On the baseball side, I've gotta go with Johnny Damon. I really don't like the Red Sox, Yanks or any of the big spenders out there who cause my Royals (and the Wal-Mart King David Glass) to keep spending less and less money every year (If you're going to finish last with a $50 million payroll, why not spend only $40 million :cursing: ), but he did come from the same system and it's nice to see he and Beltran going on to have productive careers with good teams.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Tommy Lasorda is the anti-christ there is nothing good about him :evil:

Ha ha ha... I never saw him as a devil... he is a clown! :D

But yes, how I enjoyed when my Giants beat the clown's team! :D

Very good topic, guys!!!

Of course you've all the right to talk about your fan experience in football, basket, hockey instead baseball! :)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I like Joe Torre. No matter how crazy the Bronx scene gets, he is the calming presence, and a very classy man.

I like Mike Mussina. I've always been impressed by his pitching. He is a hard worker, and you hardly hear him say a word about anyone. He's not a media-avoider like Bonda, but I just never hear him say anything. He lets his pitching do the tlaking for him.

Jeter plays hard, he doesn't seem to be a jerk or anything.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are rivals, but I like Daved Benefield and Danny Barrett.

Turn in your Winnipeg citizenship, Phil. You're outta here.

back in the day, I hated the Edmonton Oilers....and Gretzky. Now...well, I still hate Gretzky (he's killing our former Jets!), but I admire what he did for the game.

And I hate the Yankees, but I love Steinbrenner...he took that Costanza kid and made him what he is today.

A sitcom actor who should do better things, but is stuck as George for the rest of his life.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Also (on the hockey side of this), I am a die-hard Red Wings fan.  Absolutely hate the Colorado Avalanche.  But there is no way anyone will tell me that Joe Sakic is not the classiest player in the game today.  Maybe even one of the classiest players to play in the NHL ever.  And the man has mondo-mega skill.

Almost the same. Sakic is the classiest in the league but that doesn't mean there aren't a few people tied with him.

Archived