Another one bites the dust

Dilbert

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams, who have long complained about the rock-hard consistency of their artificial playing surface, are getting a new field next season.

A news conference has been scheduled Tuesday to announce the new playing surface for the Edward Jones Dome.

The Rams' lease with the city, St. Louis County and Convention and Visitors Commission requires that the stadium turf be in the top eight of NFL stadiums by July 2005. The stadium will have FieldTurf, which has become the standard for artificial fields in the NFL and has been likened to playing on natural grass.

The Rams have played on the same carpet-over-concrete field since the dome opened in 1995. The past few seasons, their indoor practice facility has been equipped with FieldTurf, and coach Mike Martz complained a handful of times about the unforgiving nature of the surface at the stadium.

The Convention and Visitors Commission initially had resisted the change because it would hinder the dome's ability to hold conventions and trade shows.

Signature intentionally left blank

About time, I say. That old AstroTurf is so unforgiving on the knees and ankles. FieldTurf may not be perfect, but it's a whole lot better than the carpet they were playing on.

I understand how rough astroturf is on the players, I am from Philly :rolleyes:, but fieldturf can look weird on tv. I thought the Superdome's turf especially looked awful. I remember when the vet switched to fieldturf for the last year or two and for whatever reason it just looked kinda odd.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

now we just need to see about sending Boise State some blue Fieldturf and then convince all the Japanese baseball teams to get rid of the green concrete.

other than that, it's dead...ooh look mommy the astroturf's dead :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

now we just need to see about sending Boise State some blue Fieldturf and then convince all the Japanese baseball teams to get rid of the green concrete.

other than that, it's dead...ooh look mommy the astroturf's dead :P

I thought Boise State does have blue fieldturf :therock: As for Japanese baseball, I think some teams have switched to fieldturf and/or substitutes

I saw, I came, I left.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that every NFL stadium currently in use either has natural grass or a Fieldturf surface and that none of them have astroturf?

Indianapolis switched to Fieldturf after they hosted this years NFL combine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that every NFL stadium currently in use either has natural grass or a Fieldturf surface and that none of them have astroturf?

You would be correct the green concrete carpet has vanished from the NFL and Boise State did switch to FieldTurf although I'm not sure how they dyed it :wacko:

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

The old green plastic is definitely gone from MLB. I believe St. Loo and Indy were the last two NFL teams to use it, and if the report of Indy dumping it is true, then the scourge of Astroturf is likewise gone from the NFL as well.

And good riddance, too.

Β 

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I believe St. Loo and Indy were the last two NFL teams to use it, and if the report of Indy dumping it is true, then the scourge of Astroturf is likewise gone from the NFL as well.

And good riddance, too.

It is. During NFL Networks coverage of the combine one thing they kept coming back and mentioning again and again was that the Colts would be switiching to Fieldturf after the combine was over.

Alright everyone its happened. The era of Astroturf in pro sports is over! :notworthy:

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Good riddance to one of the worst sports "innovations" ever.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

You would be correct the green concrete carpet has vanished from the NFL and Boise State did switch to FieldTurf although I'm not sure how they dyed it :wacko:

Actually, Boise State went to AstroPlay before SRI went bust. I have been on both an AstroPlay field and a FieldTurf field, and I honestly could not tell the difference between the two. Both felt pretty much the same to me.

Also, all of the synthetic grass companies have the ability to make the turf many different colors. This is mainly done for putting in endzones, field emblems, and different colored lines on the field, since synthetic grass feels terrible with field paint. However, this also leaves open the option of making the entire field a different color, as in the case of Boise State. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Also, all of the synthetic grass companies have the ability to make the turf many different colors. This is mainly done for putting in endzones, field emblems, and different colored lines on the field, since synthetic grass feels terrible with field paint. However, this also leaves open the option of making the entire field a different color, as in the case of Boise State. Just wanted to throw that out there.

correct!

The lines and logos are always a different colored "plastic" Some places will paint on the fieldturf, and this will wear off just as it would on astroturf, which in alot of places was actually painted on. Illinois, for example, painted everything before switching to field turf. After 10 years, the lines were raised from all the layers of paint. My college had all the lines in different colors, but for some reason, they painted on the hashes and they only lasted about half a season before needing to be retouched. The weird thing was the sideline hashes were different colored but the middle hashes were paint. I however rarely noticed the difference in feel, but it was such a small area though.

Interesting fact also about field turf. The thing that makes it like real grass is that its about 4 inch long "blades" of grass. Then, they add about 3-3.5 inches of rubber "sand" to make it forgiving and gripable.

because of cost, a few colleges (smaller, North Park in Chicago is one I know of) have used Sand in place of the rubber. I never played on one of these, but some of my friends played soccer on them and they said it was worst than regular turf.

Personallly to play on it, I prefered it to grass. No matter the conditions, you always got the same grip. drawback was of course no dirty uniforms.

last mlb game to use astroturf was oct 3rd 2004 - yankees at jays... i've noticed the field at the rogers centre has a field turf warning track, all they did was recolour the turf reddish-brown and add lava rocks (yes lava) to create a warning track feeling

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

Archived