Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben KNights Logo Unveiled

RedEye

This puts them one little step away from being the Omaha Knights Who Say "Ni!". Shrubbery, anyone?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben Foundation is a 110-year-old philanthropic organization with programs that focus on celebrating our heritage, recognizing and fostering voluntarism, and developing new projects that benefit the community, state and region.

The "AK" at the bottom of the logo "is the 1939 original symbol of Omaha's first professional hockey team also named the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights."

They have a website www.omahaaksarbenknights.com/

Here's something I found interesting:

In 1973, the Atlanta Flames took over sole sponsorship of the Knights. The Flames put their brand on the Knights, changing the club colors from the Rangers to their own red, gold and white, complete with a "flaming K" crest on the front of the uniform.

I saw, I came, I left.

maybe i'm just biased, because the knights are being touted in the des moines newspaper as being the rival of the iowa stars... but this is one of the worst names i've ever heard.

it's almost as bad the los angeles angels of anaheim..... how long are team names going to get?

the logo's not bad, but the team name is just flatout silly.

and all this time, i was hoping for the omaha flames :)

may be me being ignorant here but, what exactly is Ak-Sar-Ben?

There was a horse racing track around that area also called Ak-Sar-Ben. not sure if it is still running, I remember reading several times it was in financial trouble.

I checked and it is now a school campus of some kind.

The defunct Omaha Racers of the CBA also played at the Ak-Sar-Ben arena. I assume it was on the grounds of the track or sponsored by the track.

This puts them one little step away from being the Omaha Knights Who Say "Ni!". Shrubbery, anyone?

Heh...the Omaha Knnnnnnn-iggits!

And they can constantly insult the other team from their bench!

And the goal horn can have the Camelot song in it!

"On second thought, let's not go to Omaha...'tis a silly place."

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Hey guys,

I never post here but just feel the need as an Omahan to give some history.

The Omaha Knights were a minor league hockey team for 40 years or so. They played in the Ak-sar-ben arena (my high school graduation was there). A horse racing track also existed, it was a pretty big deal when horse racing stopped in the mid-90s. Half of the land was given to UNO (Nebraska-Omaha). Surprisingly, Omaha is a pretty hockey crazy town with the new Knights, DI UNO Mavericks, and a junior team the Lancers which played for a long time in the Aksarben arena and are now in Council Bluffs. The Knights of Aksarben are an organization which you guys touched on, however without the Aksarben area actually existing anymore I think the powers that be wanted to preserve its legacy through one of its former tentants. Hence, officially "Omaha Aksarben Knights", which will almost be shortened to Omaha Knights in print, etc. The nickname is not really too long. It's like Fighting Irish, SuperSonics, Demon Deacons, all the names are shortened.

My 2c, thanks.

I still say "Omaha Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben" works better...

And I wouldn't be surprised if they make a throwback jersey using that old AK crest in the logo.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Nebraska has everything backwards anyways. So why not put ak-sar-ben? :P

Genius!

If they are so fond of spelling Nebraska backwards seemingly ALL THE TIME, why don't they finally just change the name of the state to Aksarben. Then we call all be cutsey and call it Neb-ras-ka.

Anyway, that's my input from Ato-sennim.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

It does seem odd to the backwards state thing.

You have to understand that when the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben civic group was founded it was 1895. To the minds of late-19th Century, Midwestern American businessmen, Ak-Sar-Ben had an air of "foreign" intrigue to it... not unlike the names of the "mystic orders" of Mardi Gras that they had met with in New Orleans. Also, if you read the article that Mockba linked to earlier in the thread, it is indicated that the reasoning behind the name was purposely very "tongue-in-cheek" (i.e. "Everything seems to be going backwards these days.").

Archived