ANAHEIM HOCKEY

cyandlux

i didnt say they still use the bug logo-- just because they stopped doesnt mean it didnt happen. i dont want to get into a whole argument about how the coyotes hunt because this is a ducks thread but they are known for being lone hunters. maybe they do hunt in packs sometimes but its like saying sometimes geese fly alone. yeah they do sometimes but they are known for flying in flocks. opposite with coyotes. its more than well known that they usually hunt alone as adults.

expanding the LA fan base doesn't mean stealing fans from the dodgers. they are planning to have fans for a long time-- children that have not yet picked a team and live in LA will have 2 teams to choose from. just like fans can be either laker or clipper fans.

also passive fans that are just baseball fans in the LA area might now follow the Angels more. Sports networks that cover teams in LA might now give the Angels more air time.

furthermore, for a national audience, fox or espn might want to put the big market team on and they would rather put an "LA" team on then an "Anaheim" team. dont just think the 2005 season, this is change thats going to effect them years down the line.

Arturo Moreno is only in his mid-50s and is planning on profitting from this team for decades to come. this is a long term plan.

i guess you didnt pick up on the sarcasm in columbus crew. obviously its a contruction crew but the name crew alone is sortof ambiguous.

mighty ducks- im gonna say it-- great name.

if i had to pick a different same i wouldn't go with golden seals because its the same problem as mighty ducks. what would people call them? seals is ok i guess but its also just like a duck. other then there having been a team in the state previously called the seals and the golden seals what would be the point of changing the name to that? you''d think if they are going to change the name they would go in a totally different direction. it would be like the sacramento kings announcing a name change and then going to be the sacramento royals. ok.. yeah they used to be the royals.. kinda makes sence but whats the point? why did you change your name at all.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so it's wrong for a city to want a professional team that play IN the city to use the city's name?

Nobody minds the New York Islanders being called New York instead of Long Island, (or Uniondale) because that's how people know them.

If the Angels stuck to EITHER California or Anaheim it would be o.k., but I can't picture the Toronto Maple leafs becoming the Downsview Leafs had they built a Stadium there...

Changing name once to go from the State TO teh SPECIFIC town is O.K. with me... if the Wild want to call themselves the St-Paul Wild, that's fine with me, but they hould go from the St-Paul Wild to the Twin-Cities Wild, to the 1,000 Lakes State Wild to the Minnesota Wild of St-Paul... you get the picture...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

the Ducks will more than likely just drop the "Mighty" part and go with

Anaheim Ducks. It has a history, they're not a young franchise

anymore, it's who they are.

As for the ground zero comment, besides "wow, that had less taste than my ex-wifes cooking".

It made me think, does New York Jets now have a wierd connotation to it.

I never thought of it until now. I know I am way out on the limb but

thought I'd toss it out there.

They should keep the name Mighty Ducks, if only for the fact that, as a Ducks fan, it makes every team we beat feel that much more humiliated when they lose to us. And when they do accomplish something, it makes us feel even more proud.

Every team has a story behind it's name. So what if the team was named after some lame movie? That's their story. The St. Louis Blues were named after a movie and no one cares about that, do they?

Never mind that the movies themselves didn't even do all that great business, did they really expect the movies to become all-time blockbusters once they had a professional team named after them? The movies couldn't have been the reason why they names the team, but there is nothing wrong WHATSOEVER with the movies being the inspiration behind the team name.

Besides, have you ever seen the full Wild Wing? I dare say he is a mighty duck.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

St Louis Blues is a song as well...

But then I don't really care what they call the team--just fix the unis...

(although just "Ducks" would be better)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Besides, have you ever seen the full Wild Wing? I dare say he is a mighty duck.

You do have a point there. I have a stuffed Wild Wing that I bought at a Ducks game years ago up in the attic.

VmWIn6B.png

Food & Hunting

A coyote travels over its range and hunts both day and night, running swiftly and catching prey easily. It has a varied diet and seems able to exist on whatever the area offers in the way of food. Coyotes eat meat and fish, either fresh or spoiled, and at times eat fruit and vegetable matter and have even been known to raid melon patches.

Although the coyote has been observed killing sheep, poultry and other livestock, it does not subsist on domestic animals. Food habit studies reveal that its principle diet is composed of mice, rabbits, ground squirrels, other small rodents, insects, even reptiles, and fruits and berries of wild plants.

The coyote is an opportunistic predator that uses a variety of hunting techniques to catch small mammals likes rabbits and squirrels, which comprise the bulk of its diet. Although it hunts alone to catch small prey, it may join with others in hunting larger mammals like young deer or a pony.

The coyote often tracks its prey using its excellent sense of smell, then stalks it for 20-30 minutes before pouncing. It may also take advantage of its stamina to chase its prey over long distances, and then strike when the quarry is exhausted.

http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

Coyotes are pack hunters and a great name for a hockey team

Actually the St. Louis Blues were named after a city musical heritage, not a movie. The song that gave that tradition also gave the team instant name recognition and the team owners used that to their advantage.

According to the book "St. Louis Blues 1967-2002 Note by Note", just minutes before the St. Louis team ownership group was to make their presentation to the original 6 ownership in a bid to win a franchise, the teams owner Sid Salomon Sr said, "The name of the team just has to be the Blues. It's part of the city where W. C. Handy composed his famed song while thinking of his girl one morning." When he was warned by team general counsel Jim Cullen to expect a lawsuit from the estate of W. C. Handy, Sid said, "Jim, that's the best publicity we could possibly get. So, from now on, we're the St. Louis Blues. Sort of symbolic of the city...don't you know?"

Apparently the Handy estate didn't mind the team using the name, because they never did file a lawsuit.

WN-nhl-Clock-StLouisBlues.jpg

What time is it? It's HOCKEY TIME!!!

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Actually the St. Louis Blues were named after a city musical heritage, not a movie. The song that gave that tradition also gave the team instant name recognition and the team owners used that to their advantage.

At least the Blues didn't move to some other city and keep the Blues name even though that musical heritage has nothing to do with their new location, a la the NBA's New Orleans/Utah Jazz. :P

As for the Phoenix Coyotes, IIRC that nickname was chosen at least in part as an homage to a certain cartoon-character rivalry. (Before the Coyotes, Phoenix once had a WHA team called the Roadrunners. You do the math.)

And finally, getting back to the topic at hand: I never cared for the Ducks ("Mighty" or otherwise) nickname myself - although it still beats the aforementioned Utah Jazz by several miles. With apologies to Milwaukee's AHL team, how about the Anaheim Admirals?

CCSLC signature.png

Golden Seals and Mighty Ducks have nothing in common besides both being 2-word nicknames.

They both played in California.

They both played in the NHL.

They have more in common thanyou think! :P

"Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" is not clever; it is a contrivance generated by the marketing team at Disney to promote their series of movies.

I am surprised that the NHL allowed that. (slaps his forehead) I forgot...Bettman.

Opinions about the appropriateness of naming a team after a coyote notwithstanding, a plural noun describing an animal has ZERO in common with a collective noun describing an intangible idea.  None whatsoever.  And the same would hold true for the Heat, the Magic, the Wild, the Lightning, and so on.

Are you bashing those names?

I think the Minnesota Wild is one of the all-time-worst names for a team in the Big Four (MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL). Wild what???? I think the name, along with the colors, the logo and the jerseys are just hideous. It looks like it should be on a low minor league team in the CHL, UHL, SPHL, WHA2, etc. They could have done so much more. I expected more out of a hockey hotbed like Minnesota. That whole concept is just such a let down.

Dude, embrace punctuation and the SHIFT key.  It'll buy you some time to think over what you want to put out to the world before you send it.  Make it time well spent.

Agreed.....and it gains credability.

Dude, embrace punctuation and the SHIFT key.  It'll buy you some time to think over what you want to put out to the world before you send it.  Make it time well spent.

Agreed.....and it gains credability.

The ironing is delicious.

Golden Seals and Mighty Ducks have nothing in common besides both being 2-word nicknames.

I dont think Anaheim has any seals, Oakland however did.

Signature intentionally left blank

I dont think Anaheim has any seals, Oakland however did.

Anaheim is 11.8 miles from seal beach...

ana.gif

San Jose is 38 miles from santa cruz...

sanjo.gif

If San Jose can do it so can Anaheim....its actually closer to water, so it might actually have more of a right.

EDIT: Oh crap....are there sharks in bays?

You know what....i lived in San Jose for 4 years and we never thought of the bay as...well anything, it was just there...theres no beaches and down by Milpitas its just a swamp, so we never thought of it as a legitimit body of water. Its more like wetlands near San Jose.

In defense of some singular nicknames, how could they be renamed with the same meaning? Avalanches? Lightnings? Storms? That sounds horribly stupid. I like the singular names, just as long as they make sense, a word that is normaly singular and not plural. I think only nouns work, although there may be cases I can't think of.

I always thought the Wild name stood for the woods and animals and such. The noun "wild" and not the adjective "wild."

Really....from Mighty to plain old? Hmmmm....that seems silly, but Anaheim teams are doing that kind of stuff lately. What next? UCI will just be known as the eaters...you know pies, hotdogs etc.....

Actually, the "mighty" part of the name just seemed ridiculous.

Ducks alone is quite alright. If it's good enough for Oregon, it's good enough for some second-rate NHL franchise that never should have happened in the first place.

Archived