Southern Cal Football

Cujo

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
USC 50, Fresno State 42

Chalk up consecutive win #33 for . . .

the greatest team of our era, the University of Southern California Trojans.

That's it, USC is now the best team of all time.

Oh wait, forgot about the other 4. :D

By the way Curtsie: Which bandwagon are you gonna jump on next?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I'm not on the USC bandwagon. I don't own any of their gear, nor do I claim them as my favorite college team. They're a great team and very exciting to watch. I simply give them the respect they truly deserve as the greatest team of our era.

6uXNWAo.png

I would not wnat to be caught dead wearing those stupid things.

I mean "jealous" ... as in that it's USC, not Notre Dame, on top of the college football world now.

It's not the 1940s, pal. Notre Dame doesn't win the title every other year anymore. Deal with it.

6uXNWAo.png

True. Even though I was rooting for Notre Dame to beat USC, better them than the Golden Domers because I absolutely HATED them when they were good back when I was 4...lol, yes I cared about football then.

looks like USC Pulled another one out of their a$$es, of course they always say its better to be lucky than good. I just can't wait til they play texas and get smashed.

Don't worry next year it will be the golden domers on top of the college football world once again.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I'm not on the USC bandwagon. I don't own any of their gear, nor do I claim them as my favorite college team. They're a great team and very exciting to watch. I simply give them the respect they truly deserve as the greatest team of our era.

So you proclaiming "USC IS THE GREATEST TEAM EVER!!!11" isn't bandwagoning?

Giving respect is "USC won, good job."

In fact, I hate USC more now that you shove them down our throats on this site.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Curty, have the USC Trojans played a great defense? Have they played Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Virginia Tech, Miami, Penn State, et al?

The answer is no.

Until they prove they can beat a great defense, or that they can stop a good offense, I am reserving my judgment to label them the greatest team of the decade.

They are not the greatest team ever. First, you cannot compare a team from this decade with a great team from the 60s, for example. The era was totally different, and the game was totally different. Furthermore, no team should ever be considered the greatest team ever with a defense as mediocre as USC's. USC is not a well-rounded team. They are a great offense and a mediocre defense, and thus, a very good team.

A great defense is what it takes to equalize an great offense. See 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes: A team that struggled all year to score points, winning most of its 13 games by less than a touchdown and having to play every game to the final second. Its great defense won many of those games. It faced a prolific Miami offense for the National Championship. An offense led by Ken Dorsey, Kellen Winslow, Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson, and others. Ohio State held it to 17 points in regulation and took advantage of the mistakes caused by its defense, ultimately prevailing in double overtime.

USC will have to play a great defense if it plays Texas. Texas' offense will succeed against the USC defense because it's played a big time defense this year, on the road no less, and did pretty well. Texas destroyed all it's other opponents. Defense is something the Pac-10 lacks, so USC really isn't used to seeing it. Should be a good one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Until they prove they can beat a great defense, or that they can stop a good offense, I am reserving my judgment to label them the greatest team of the decade.

USC has actually beaten six teams whose offenses rank in the top 30 in D-1 ball.

They are, with total offense ranking in parentheses

at Arizona State (#3)

Washington State (#9)

at Notre Dame (#10)

at Hawaii (#11)

at Oregon (#15)

at California (#29)

UCLA will be the seventh team, as the Bruins offense is ranked #17.

Texas is the #2 ranked offense.

USC held four of those teams (WSU, Hawaii, Oregon, and Cal) to 17 points or less, and held those three Pac-10 schools to 13 points or less. And I'm sure you noticed that USC played five of those top offenses on the road. Not too shabby by my count, especially if you want to know if they can stop a good offense.

Accordingly, Texas has played only two teams with offenses in the top 30 - vs. Texas Tech (#4), and at Missouri (#30). Texas A&M will be the third team as they are ranked #16 in total offense.

One reason Texas' defense is so "good" may be because they've played terrible offenses - Ohio State is the only other offense they've faced that ranks in the top 50 (#38), and five of Texas' opponents are ranked lower than 80th in total offense. In comparison, USC has played only one team that ranks lower than 80th in total offense (Stanford).

In case your wondering, USC is the #1 ranked offense.

I find these rankings absolutely relevant because of how late it is in the season.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

I can feel it ... The Trojans are up 24-3 late in the 2nd. If they hold on, they will be one win away (Rose Bowl vs Texas) from becoming the greatest college football "dynasty" of all-time.

6uXNWAo.png

I was a lil unsure about Texas after their game agains the Aggies, but after taking Colorado behind the woodshed today, the Horns actually seem like a serious threat to the title. I mean serious, like they could come into the Rose Bowl as possible favorites. It's gonna be close. I can't wait!

6uXNWAo.png

I was a lil unsure about Texas after their game agains the Aggies, but after taking Colorado behind the woodshed today, the Horns actually seem like a serious threat to the title. I mean serious, like they could come into the Rose Bowl as possible favorites. It's gonna be close. I can't wait!

They didn't just take them to the woodshed, they took them there, dragged em out, pulled out the switch, put it to their behinds again, then pulled out the extension cord, put it to their behinds AGAIN, then lastly, pulled out the belt and gave it to em that way.

Texas Vs. USC=Game of the Century.

Texas Vs. USC=Game of the Century.

Not only will it be the best BCS title game ever, it will without a doubt be for the undisupted College Football National Championship. This is one of those rare years where the season played itself out perfectly, leaving only two undefeated teams at the end of the regular season. In other words... No split-National Champions! :)

6uXNWAo.png

How can you be the best team of our era when in the last ten years, you do not have the longest winning streak, nor as many NCAA championships, as another team? Last I checked, a certain school in Ohio might have a better argument.

LvZYtbZ.png

USC vs. Texas ain't even gonna be close, in SC's favor, that is. Admit it, you'd NEVER have guessed I'm a USC alum. Yep, we're Trojans & we wear ours proudly, along with our "Peckerhead" band helmets! Makes a certain sick sense somehow, don't it?!?! :P

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Archived