Blue jays new logo

DEAD!

Okay so it is obviously just me but I really really really dont see what is all that bad about the new look!!! Really I don't. It may not be the most fantastic thing ever but come on guys! This is at least on a par with several other baseball clubs (Devil Rays for a start!)

Oh yeah, now if the Jays just played like the Rays..... :D

But remember in the end it's now what WE think, but what the THEY, the public think!

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll keep it brief:

- The bird head by itself isn't bad, but I miss the leaf. The T-bird was much better than this. They just needed to rework the obnoxious T with something a bit smaller and blue.

- The wordmark sucks. From a distance, the uni's looks like they say "gays"

- The unis are awful. The road jersery looks like it belongs to another team altogether. The home jersey is too plain and the hat doesn't match any of their colors.

Blah Blah Blah.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

The logo i think is pretty cool. Though the Script is kinda weird, does look like it says GAYS. The Brid Logo is cool. As for the Jerseys.........they suck. It looks like they don't have much but the script on the jerseys. I hope to god they don't wear a powder blue hat with the home jersey.

- The bird head by itself isn't bad, but I miss the leaf. The T-bird was much better than this. They just needed to rework the obnoxious T with something a bit smaller and blue.

- The wordmark sucks. From a distance, the uni's looks like they say "gays"

- The unis are awful. The road jersery looks like it belongs to another team altogether. The home jersey is too plain and the hat doesn't match any of their colors.

Blah Blah Blah.

Okay so to continue my lone defense of these things!

1- It doesn't look like it says GAYS at all! I've tried and I just can't make the J into a G. Fair enough you might not like the unis but no need to use a cheapshot like that to downgrade it.

2- Everyone would moan if it was 'too busy' and now your all saying this is too plain! Just about every baseball uni out there could fit one of those two complaints!

3- Okay so the pale blue cap looks a bit out of place next to the darker unis, but just by itself with the white unis it should look okay!

4- And just coz they are from Canada  they don't need a maple leaf! Not every team from the US has an Eagle, Star, stars and stripes or any of those things.

I'm not saying its a great uni because yes it is a touch plain, but its not THAT bad either.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

i used to have one of those blue jays hats...you know, the ones with the white front panel.  those were cool.  as were the brewers hats with the gold front panel (which i wore every now and then as a HS freshman).  i was sort of hoping they would have given the T-jay a body instead of a T, but i liked that too.  while i applaud use of a powder blue hat, the other hats, the logos, the jerseys...these blow.  i know i said these sucked earlier, but now that i've gotten a better look...these are horribly bad.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

saintsfan: a rebuttal, if I may...

1. I said "from a distance", not "upon close examination". With the bird head attached, the J does take on the outline of a large lowercase "g", and from a distance it could be read that way. Also, it wasn't a cheapshot; it was an observation. If it looked like it said something else, I'd say so.

2. I agree with you here. But, they could have added some sleeve or trim color and not looked at all busy.

3.The cap may look OK with the white, but it's out of place with the rest of the uniform set.

4. You're right, not every team in Canada should have the leaf just because they're Canadian. But, its been a traditional part of the team logo and, given the impending doom of the Expos, I think the leaf should be an important part of the Jays' identity.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

From what I have read:

- The home caps are actually grey, but they look powder blue to me

- The road jerseys are "metallic graphite", the 'blackish' jersey with the "Toronto" script is indeed the road jersey

I saw the B.P. jerseys today, and well, they're different, the jerseys are black (as expected), the logo is the "J-Bird" logo plus the script "Toronto" in very tiny writing above the bird.  I believe the alt & bp caps are also the entire "Jays" script logo, weird.

Apparently the team will wear their new uniforms tonight, something to look out for, especially against the Yankees I'm sure everyone will see them on ESPN, etc.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I suppose I like some elements of the logo, but all in all, it really makes me sad. I'm just not a fan at all. I really dislike how monochromatic things are, and I really dislike the "graphite" road uniform. It's nice to see that they are trying to explore things outside the standard gray, but I think that they are terrible.

It really makes me miss the revised logo from a few years back with the blue jay head profile and and the maple leaf as a backdrop. I thought that was a terrific modernization of their original logo, which was a touch dated, but still cool.

The whole 3-D wordmark looks ametuerish to me as well. It makes it tough to read, IMO.

Okay so it is obviously just me but I really really really dont see what is all that bad about the new look!!! Really I don't. It may not be the most fantastic thing ever but come on guys!  This is at least on a par with several other baseball clubs (Devil Rays for a start!)

So the standard is now whether or not you look as half way decent as the...ahem....Devil Rays?

I consider my point proven.

"The Boston Celtics announced they are adding black, silver, and purple to their uniform set today.  Fans took it surprisingly well arguing that it was still at least on par with other pro clubs, say...the Cavs unis of the last 5 years."

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk to you personally.  But this debate is two-fold.  IN and of itself..this update is blah...and yes, sadly on par with much that comes out lately.  But we don't exist in a vacuum and must add into the second element, that being where this design has come from.  ANd it is a HUGE step down since the early nineties...whether you are a retro-phyle or not.

Pretty soon every team in every sport will merely get to choose which one color besides black, silver, or navy they get to wear.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I guess this mean they won't have a traditional gray road uniform.

However, what happens when they play on the road against a home team with a dark blue or black alternate, like the Twins, or Mariners? (particularly on a Sunday)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I guess this mean they won't have a traditional gray road uniform.

However, what happens when they play on the road against a home team with a dark blue or black alternate, like the Twins, or Mariners? (particularly on a Sunday)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Most likely nothing.  I was told that both teams could not wear their alternates in the same game.  Oviously, that is not the case, but a "graphite jersey"?  Gray hat at home?  Oh the humanity!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I think I could live with (not like, but live with) the graphite road jerseys, as long as they wear white pants with it. It could possibly, maybe, conceivably, not look too horrible.

I'm more surprised with how relatively plain the jerseys are...no striping to be seen, at least not that I've noticed. I haven't seen any in person, though.

All in all, it looks...I dunno...sort of minor league.

--Eriq.

I think I could live with (not like, but live with) the graphite road jerseys, as long as they wear white pants with it. It could possibly, maybe, conceivably, not look too horrible.

I'm more surprised with how relatively plain the jerseys are...no striping to be seen, at least not that I've noticed. I haven't seen any in person, though.

All in all, it looks...I dunno...sort of minor league.

--Eriq.

I don't know that they can wear white pants on the road.  My guess is that they will either have to wear all graphite (not an exciting prospect) or perhaps wear powder blue pants (even less of an exciting prospect).

Allow me to toss my two copper into the hat:

I am sick and tired of everyone hating on everything new that comes out. Very few things that are brought out these days is well-received. (Note: there may be a few exceptions, but the general trend remains relatively consistent.)

Having gotten that off my chest, this is an extremely sad day in Toronto sports history. I don't know who the marketing people Teddy Rogers hired, but they deserve to be taken out back to the wood shed and have some sense paddled into them (figuratively speaking, of course). They should never become the Jays. They should never have added black. This is an abomination, and I hope the backlash is so strong that the organization is forced to succumb. (This won't happen, of course. You see, the team has alienated all fans of the old look by steadily destroying all brand association they ever had.) You want a logo? What's wrong with an update of the classic logo that lasted the team some 20+ seasons? The predominantly black and grey colour scheme is so bad it hurts. The bevel effect on the lettering is so juvenile and a cop-out that every self-respecting graphic designer should shudder in anguish.

Hear me, oh cursed Toronto baseball club. Woe to you if you interpret this as a step forward. You have dishonored your history and the men who built it. May you languish in the middle of the AL East forever.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived