Best Names in Sports

Cujo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off the subject, kind a of...

Just hope the Oregon State Beavers don't play the South Carolina Gamecocks ....

as for names of people..

my favorite is still Mark Grudzielanek ... especially his days as an Expo and his name had to be wrapped around the back of the jersey to fit...

here is a pic from his cubbie days... the expo years where even better..

alougrudz.jpg

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

ex-Eaglee special team man now Philly sportscaster, Via Sikahema

That's Vai, not Via. One of the few names I remember from the old St. Louis Cardinal football days.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 1 year later...

Brett Favre....it should be FAVOR

Love Ben Stiller's line in There's Something About Mary..."What about Brett Fahv...ruh?"

Not sports stars but remarkable nonetheless:

Woman I dated briefly: Linda Lipps

Friend of an ex-: Ginger Ales

Business colleague of an ex-: Ivan Toriskokov (ouch!)

Those interested in this thread may also enjoy my NFL All-Name Team.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Jagr is my favorite name in sports. Why? When Jagr broke Graves' record for goals in a season, my uncle made a drink by mixing Jager and Lager and called the drink "the Jagr." I'm too young to drink so I have no idea what it tastes like. I'll let you know in 7 years if you don't try it yourself.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

The one that keeps sticking out in my head, for some reason, is Chris Fuamatu-Ma'Afala, former Steeler and Jaguar. (Whatever happened to him?)

Then there's that guy from St. Louis (somebody mentined him) Piso Tinoisamoa, and I believe they also have a Malumaleuna (I think that's how that's spelled). Here's a few of my other favorites: Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Chidi Ahanotu (Buc fans should remember that name), Jeff Saturday, Touraj Houshmanzadeh (for those who never knew what TJ's real first name was--and I believe he may be the only active NFL player of Arabian descent), Kevin Kaesviharn, Cato June (that's gotta be one of the best football names I've ever heard), Winston Justice (another one of the best), Lincoln Kennedy (the only guy to have TWO president's names in the NFL, I believe), Itula Mili (Seahawks, I believe), Tamba Hali (say it about 20 times and you'll never get tired of it--the name just evokes defensive end), Osi Umenyiora (see previous), Lawyer Linnoy, and then, how about two Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger (how appropriate...the city of Pittsburgh has already concocted the RoethlisBURGER meal out of that and at one time christened this place ROETHLISburgh), and then Troy Polamalu? (This is how little of a life people in Pittsburgh have: some guy made a song about the Steelers, perticularly Polamalu--that'd be PO-luh-MAH-loo--and you'd think after hearing that name about a million times you could say it right, right? WRONG. The guy straight butchered Troy's name into Puh-LOM-a-LOO--through the WHOLE DAMN SONG--and yet it was so catchy it actually made top 10 at several radio stations here. That right there is really about all you need to know about Pittsburgh. Troy himself had "no comment".)

Getting back to names, now...how about that soccer player, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (is that right?). And I seem to remembre some guy that played for the Oilers or Canucks (or maybe both) a while ago named Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre. How's THAT for a name? But yeah, I like Miroslav Satan, Radek Bonk, and Saku Koivu, too.

But how about those short, simple names? Ben Gay (UConn b-baller, I believe), Dre' Bly, and Ty Law.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The lack of Antti Laaksonen, Mikko Eloranta, Niko Dimitrakos, Radim Radivojovich, Evgeny Artyukhin, Jason Bacashihua, Dustin Byfuglien, Mariusz Czerkawski, Hnat Domenichelli, Kari Haakana, Hannes Hyvonen, Jarkko Immonen, Zenith Komarniski, Lasse Kukkonen, and a host of others makes the list so far woefully inadequate.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Ltes not foregt one day NJ Devil I hope Miroslav Satan.

Yeah, Satan...!!! I always liked that one! Very devilish!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived