Am i the only one?

JQK

I love the Isles' logo. It's simple, but not too simple. To me, that makes a classic hockey logo.

The design is original if anything and I like the color combination. Plus it's a round hockey logo, which is a plus for me. I also like the Oilers logo and the old Jets logo, though not as much. Always liked the circular hockey logo.

Here's what I find weird--so many of you were gushing (no pun intended) over the Oilers old look when they retired Paul Coffey's number 7.

Now that has to be the most dated looking logo in the NHL--there are ones that look older--but they've lasted and are classics--the Oilers look is too 70-ish in a bad way as the ISle's logo is supposed to be.

Well I like their logo--I don't think it looks dated.

the Oilers?

Very dated.

And for the record the teams started paly in 72-73--the Oilers wer in the WHA then--the same logo, although the jerseys were a little different (and much worse than the Isle's)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Here's what I find weird--so many of you were gushing (no pun intended) over the Oilers old look when they retired Paul Coffey's number 7.

Now that has to be the most dated looking logo in the NHL--there are ones that look older--but they've lasted and are classics--the Oilers look is too 70-ish in a bad way as the ISle's logo is supposed to be.

Well I like their logo--I don't think it looks dated.

the Oilers?

Very dated.

And for the record the teams started paly in 72-73--the Oilers wer in the WHA then--the same logo, although the jerseys were a little different (and much worse than the Isle's)

imo both the oilers and islanders have dated logos, and need to change. for the oilers, it's simple. just use this as the primary:

oilers1.jpeg

for the islanders, the lighthouse would be a great primary, with the "NY/stick" as an alt (maybey replacing the 4 stripes, or possibly being used on the opposite shoulder). all though i do think that with some editing, simplifying the colours, and a better jersey layout the fisherman logo could work.

I never minded the Isles' primary.

And for all the ball&glove lovers crying for the Brewers to return to their "glory years" look, the same argument holds true here. This is the logo that their fans identify with. It's also the logo the fans identify with the best period in team history. Personally, I hate the team but I have no beef with the uniforms. The logo may be dated, but being dated is a detractor's way of saying "timeless".

If the Isles were an expansion team, I'm sure they'd have something closer to the godawful fisherman, replete in a hideous teal rain slicker. But if the Celtics were an expansion team, there's no way in hell they'd have the adored Leprechaun. Ditto any team with a "classic/untouchable" logo.

It serves its purpose clearly and distinctively. Good stuff, and done with good colors.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I actually hoped that when Prince Edward Island was awarded the former Montreal Rocket QMJHL franchise, that they'd change their name to the P.E. Islanders and use a map of Prince Edward Island in a similar fashion.

Perhaps the AHL would consider a return to the island -- fans in bridgeport beware :)

I love the colour scheme -- the logo does look very 1970s to me but it's a classic in my eyes, only to be changed by slight modernisations (much like their 1997 touches) Home unis are great... if I didn't hate them so much, I'd consider buying one :)

Tucker rules :P

Nassau & Suffolk County can have the Isles affiliate as far as I'm concerned, CC :lol:

Bridgeport was by far the WORST place to put a hockey team in this state, IMO. If anything, they should have put this team and new arena in New Haven instead (more of a hockey tradition there and it would be a LOT easier for folks to get to than where HarborYard is) Plop, they can't even draw flies to that arena unless Hartford's in town (and then all the Pack/Rangers fans take the place over)...it's funny as hell to see Bridgeport fans deciding to go up to Danbury for UHL games over going to see their own team play.

It's gotten so bad attendance wise for the Sound Tigers that they've been reduced to offering free ticket vouchers to Isles season ticket holders, hoping that Isles fans will be willing to take the Port Jefferson ferry across LI Sound to Bridgeport.

Anyways...

As for the Isles look...as much as I hate the Fishsticks, I have to admit they have one of the classier looks in the NHL. I hated the Gorton's Fisherman look (which spawned the "Fishsticks" nickname) but felt they should have preserved the lighthouse alt. logo in some way. The updated "classic" look is kinda nice to have (and yes, I even like how they have the 4 stripes on the shoulder for the 4 cups they won...*1983, last fluffing cup you'll ever see! :P * )

The alt's something awful (seeing it's been compared to either traffic cones (esp. for their D) or something you'd see folks from the Nassau County Jail wearing while doing litter detail along the LIE), but I have to admit Bridgeport did it right...doing the same alt design, but in BLUE. It actually doesn't look that bad when it's NOT in construction-sign orange.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

The logo may be dated, but being dated is a detractor's way of saying "timeless".

This is a line I take issue with.

"Dated" is something that is tied to a certain era, that looks very out-of-touch. That's the Isles' logo for me.

"Timeless" is something that hasn't fallen out of being a good logo, despite the years. Detroit's wheeled wing, St. Louis's bluenote, and the Canadiens' CH are my examples of timeless crests.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The logo may be dated, but being dated is a detractor's way of saying "timeless".

This is a line I take issue with.

"Dated" is something that is tied to a certain era, that looks very out-of-touch. That's the Isles' logo for me.

"Timeless" is something that hasn't fallen out of being a good logo, despite the years. Detroit's wheeled wing, St. Louis's bluenote, and the Canadiens' CH are my examples of timeless crests.

Good definition of dated vs timeless.

And the Oilers' logo is the most 70s-ish of any NHL logo.

Just look at the font they use.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I know no one cares at this point, but I liked the fisherman and I enjoy the four stripes on the shoulder. I also think the current mark is fine and the lighthouse logo would make a great primary if they ever decided to go in that direction.

Only bad decision (sweater-wise) the Isles have made is that terrible alt.

I dont hate it, but I really dont like it either.

then again, its better then the fisherman  ^_^

but the lighthouse logo ruled.

BRING BACK THE FISHERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I liked him much better then the logo before/now

The Gorton's fisherman?

:rolleyes:

Archived