Portis fined for non-uniform uniform

slapshot

From ESPN:

Redskins' Portis, Taylor fined for uniform violations

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Redskins running back Clinton Portis and safety Sean Taylor were fined by the NFL on Thursday for uniform violations in last Sunday night's game against Philadelphia.

Portis was fined $20,000 for wearing black shoes, which did not match the rest of the team, and also for wearing striped socks and an unapproved eye shield. Taylor was hit for $5,000 for the striped socks.

The burgundy and gold striping made the socks look like barber shop polls. Taylor had them on both legs, Portis on one.

Last year, both were fined twice for socks violations, the first time $5,000 apiece and the second time $10,000.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God, this is annoying the CRAP out of me. When I'm watching football, the last thing I notice is the socks/shoes. THEY ARE SOCKS AND SHOES....HOW AND WHY THE HELL DO YOU GET FINED FOR WEARING DIFFERENT SOCKS AND SHOES. You guys just sounds like people who don't even care about sports- only about how "cute" the unis look.

-Rob Roy

God, this is annoying the CRAP out of me. When I'm watching football, the last thing I notice is the socks/shoes. THEY ARE SOCKS AND SHOES....HOW AND WHY THE HELL DO YOU GET FINED FOR WEARING DIFFERENT SOCKS AND SHOES. You guys just sounds like people who don't even care about sports- only about how "cute" the unis look.

Oh, he IS new here.

uniform (yoo-nee-form) n.

1. A distinctive outfit intended to identify those who wear it as members of a specific group.

2. One set of such an outfit.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

God, this is annoying the CRAP out of me.  When I'm watching football, the last thing I notice is the socks/shoes.  THEY ARE SOCKS AND SHOES....HOW AND WHY THE HELL DO YOU GET FINED FOR WEARING DIFFERENT SOCKS AND SHOES.  You guys just sounds like people who don't even care about sports- only about how "cute" the unis look.

You do know the point of this website, right? As for the fines, there is a reason why they are called UNIFORMS. Everyone wears the same thing.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I had a presentation at school today...and my socks didn'tmatch. Think my grades will suffer for it?

Funny stuff! :notworthy:

Seriously though I like how the NFL has those uniform rules whether it's different shoes, to an untucked jersey, you play as a team and you have to look like a team. You can't parade around looking like slobs with everyone dressed different.

illiniguy:

I noticed the bad socks and black shoes but why did portis get fined for his shield?

he was wearing a dark visor, and i'm pretty sure they banned those (although does LT wear one? oh well)

looks like the nfl didn't agree with that one guy, who demanded portis be suspended for 2 games

I had a presentation at school today...and my socks didn'tmatch. Think my grades will suffer for it?

No I don't....and I don't think you could have missed the point more. You're not on a team, where millions of people are watching and you therefor need to dress in a manner so as to distinguish you from the other team. Why should this clown get to break the rules? Doesn't he get enough self expression out of wearing goofy glasses and wigs to press conferences? Athletes today have no respect for anything, which is why we actually have to enforce dress codes and uniform violations. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me. And if I was Joe Gibbs I woulda sat him down, shown him that he can't just do whatever the hell he feels like.

illiniguy:
I noticed the bad socks and black shoes but why did portis get fined for his shield?

he was wearing a dark visor, and i'm pretty sure they banned those (although does LT wear one? oh well)

looks like the nfl didn't agree with that one guy, who demanded portis be suspended for 2 games

You are allowed to wear dark visor if you have a doctor's note, LT must have one, Portis must not.

That depends on your school's dress code. Does your school require a...UNIFORM?

I don't know about your grades but in some Catholic and private schools, the wrong type of dress can get you sent home, detention, or possibly suspension. I've seen people in trouble over the lengths of skirts & shorts, "improper" footwear, t-shirts with questionable graphics, hats, and yes even socks. Stupid arguements I grant you but they are out there in schools.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived