Jerseys a NO-GO?

RickV

I remember when I was in middle school I saw one guy wearing a Steve Beuerlein jersey with no back number...I kid you not.  had the rest of teh numbers, the jaguars on the sleeves, and BEUERLEIN on the back, but no back number. :blink:

Yeah, I've seen those at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. They are defects.

Re: Branding

I don't wear any clothes with a brand logo on it. You're a fool if you do. Why pay $20 for a grey shirt with a Nike logo on it, when you can pay $10 for one without it.

Stop supporting brands on your clothes. You're just a drone if you do.

Meh, I'm a sucker for that, too. Call me a sellout, but I like my little Polo horse, and Izod alligator. I've got to be the dream client of every marketing department. A huge impulse buyer, and a sucker for brand names and "authentic" stuff. NFL Equipment will be my downfall. I love that stuff. I work for the visiting clubhouse at Ford Field, and love getting the newest stuff out there. I'm the guy that stretches the uniform code. Part of my duties is catching punts, so I wear the Reebok turf shoes, high blue socks, NFL Equipment shorts, and just got them to issue me an NFL Equipment mock instead of the polo. I get a few pairs of receiving gloves a game, and always try to get the newest and best stuff from the players after the game. The other guys roll their eyes, but I love it. Closest to the NFL I'll get. :D

You & I are peas in a pod Dave.

It's just that my job is far less interesting than yours. :rolleyes:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I was in middle school I saw one guy wearing a Steve Beuerlein jersey with no back number...I kid you not.  had the rest of teh numbers, the jaguars on the sleeves, and BEUERLEIN on the back, but no back number. :blink:

I don't wear any clothes with a brand logo on it. You're a fool if you do. Why pay $20 for a grey shirt with a Nike logo on it, when you can pay $10 for one without it.

Meh, I'm a sucker for that, too. Call me a sellout, but I like my little Polo horse, and Izod alligator. I've got to be the dream client of every marketing department. A huge impulse buyer, and a sucker for brand names and "authentic" stuff. NFL Equipment will be my downfall. I love that stuff. I work for the visiting clubhouse at Ford Field, and love getting the newest stuff out there. I'm the guy that stretches the uniform code. Part of my duties is catching punts, so I wear the Reebok turf shoes, high blue socks, NFL Equipment shorts, and just got them to issue me an NFL Equipment mock instead of the polo. I get a few pairs of receiving gloves a game, and always try to get the newest and best stuff from the players after the game. The other guys roll their eyes, but I love it. Closest to the NFL I'll get. :D

Meh. The Ford Field gig is hardly my real job. I work in a real office, for a real company, in downtown Ann Arbor. The NFL job is for Lions home games, and it's only good for me working for the visiting team because I don't like the Lions. Working in sports I've found is not that it's cracked up to be. I was offered several decent positions in the front office of NFL teams that I've turned down. I've had my fun being on the "inside" in college, and personally, enjoy going to the 8 games a year I work, watching my Pats on Sunday Ticket, and road tripping to playoff games in the midwest. Believe me, being a fan is awesome.

spikes.jpg

There is a time an a place for all clothes, use your nut. A few years back I was going to a "sports" bar with my wife and the bouncer wouldn't let me in because I didn't have a collared shirt. I was in a authentic USA hockey jersey that I dropped a few bills on. Well we have never been to that place since. BTW the place was in a nice suburb.

I have surmised that you and I are somewhat near each other. Might that bar's name have begun with a P and ended in "Station"? Just a guess.

Yes I think we are close. I know that place well. I didn't know they had a "ban". It was farther north by me in PA. The place isn't around any more.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Apparently, "have a catch" is more or less a PA/NJ thing. The guy who used it in college was a fraternity brother from Philly. Also, the "Reel Classics" extras for "Field of Dreams" mentioned something about it being Mid-Atlantic. Of course, I'm from Maryland and had never heard it. Maybe Vitamin D, BBTV, BigEd76 (sorry if I skipped someone) or one of those guys can provide further insight.

To speak up for the Philadelphians:

1. I have played catch hundreds of times, but never once "had a catch". I have had many things - many of them unmentionable - but I've never had a catch, anywhere in the Delaware Valley or beyond. Your brother's spoken idiosyncracy never reached my neck of the woods, though we have plenty of quirky terms and pronunciations all the same.

2. I went to the prom. Two of them, in fact. Although I've heard the "to prom" variation - most notably by Mena Suvari's character in "American Pie" (the first one, a/k/a the funny one), and I thought it was weird.

3. Ever notice how some people - Southerners, mostly - "get in the bed", where most of us simply "get in bed"? I've sought an answer for this puzzler as well.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Meh. The Ford Field gig is hardly my real job. I work in a real office, for a real company, in downtown Ann Arbor. The NFL job is for Lions home games, and it's only good for me working for the visiting team because I don't like the Lions. Working in sports I've found is not that it's cracked up to be. I was offered several decent positions in the front office of NFL teams that I've turned down. I've had my fun being on the "inside" in college, and personally, enjoy going to the 8 games a year I work, watching my Pats on Sunday Ticket, and road tripping to playoff games in the midwest. Believe me, being a fan is awesome.

Well, if you happen to find a Lions throwback just lying around, let me know. My '94 Barry Sanders M & N is a little big on me. :D

Still, that's a nice part-time gig. Sounds like a blast.

Yes I think we are close. I know that place well. I didn't know they had a "ban". It was farther north by me in PA. The place isn't around any more.

I'm not sure if they do or not, I just thought they might. My days of going there with great frequency ended a few years back (more than I care to admit sometimes) even though I still live about five minutes away.

Sorry everyone -- off topic. B)

In hindsight, in my day, there was one of "those guys" there who almost always had a jersey on (his favorite being a Joe Montana Chiefs jersey). My friends and I always thought he was a jack@$$, but that had as much to do with his personality as the jerseys (though the jerseys definitely contributed).

There, back on topic after all. B)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Apparently, "have a catch" is more or less a PA/NJ thing.  The guy who used it in college was a fraternity brother from Philly.  Also, the "Reel Classics" extras for "Field of Dreams" mentioned something about it being Mid-Atlantic.  Of course, I'm from Maryland and had never heard it.  Maybe Vitamin D, BBTV, BigEd76 (sorry if I skipped someone) or one of those guys can provide further insight.

1. I have played catch hundreds of times, but never once "had a catch". I have had many things - many of them unmentionable - but I've never had a catch, anywhere in the Delaware Valley or beyond. Your brother's spoken idiosyncracy never reached my neck of the woods, though we have plenty of quirky terms and pronunciations all the same.

2. I went to the prom. Two of them, in fact. Although I've heard the "to prom" variation - most notably by Mena Suvari's character in "American Pie" (the first one, a/k/a the funny one), and I thought it was weird.

3. Ever notice how some people - Southerners, mostly - "get in the bed", where most of us simply "get in bed"? I've sought an answer for this puzzler as well.

I've heard it called "going to prom" here in Michigan. I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, and we "took a limo to prom." I "went to prom" with my date. I guess when you say it, it doesn't sound so weird.

spikes.jpg

3. Ever notice how some people - Southerners, mostly - "get in the bed", where most of us simply "get in bed"?  I've sought an answer for this puzzler as well.

I haven't noticed this one. It is similar to the "the car needs washed", "the dog needs fed" deal, with seems like a general rural quirk (not necessarily Southern) in my experience. The words "to be" need to be in there, as in "the car needs TO BE washed." Sorry, I'm at it again. :D

On the prom issue, I will forever fixate on Molly Ringwald screaming "Blaine, what about prom?!" at Andrew McCarthy in "Pretty in Pink". I think it's an age thing, since John Hughes was in his heyday in my college years.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Apparently, "have a catch" is more or less a PA/NJ thing.  The guy who used it in college was a fraternity brother from Philly.  Also, the "Reel Classics" extras for "Field of Dreams" mentioned something about it being Mid-Atlantic.  Of course, I'm from Maryland and had never heard it.  Maybe Vitamin D, BBTV, BigEd76 (sorry if I skipped someone) or one of those guys can provide further insight.

I've heard it called "going to prom" here in Michigan. I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, and we "took a limo to prom." I "went to prom" with my date. I guess when you say it, it doesn't sound so weird.

heh, for waht it's worth, folks here usually "go to prom" at tehir respective schools and afterwards head downtown for "post prom"...to which I ask you, has anyone ever come to your prom in an army tank? or a freakin' elephant? :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I say both..."to the prom" and "to prom"..."get in bed" and "get in the bed"...whichever comes out, I guess.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm the same way Dave.

I love my Gap, Polo, Abercrombie and DKNY nice stuff, but I still love a good jersey/piece of authentic apparel.

And heck, if you get all decked out in NFL Equipment while at Ford Field doing your job, GOOD FOR YOU!!! I'd do the same thing if I had a job like yours. Closest to the NFL you'd get? I'm glad you're taking advantage of it. I'd kill for a job like yours :D

I say both..."to the prom" and "to prom"..."get in bed" and "get in the bed"...whichever comes out, I guess.

Hey, if we're going to stay off topic here...

I'm a Giants fan, and I never hear any Giants fans referring to the team in third-person. As if "We played a great game against Dallas."

But when I listen to The Afternoon Blitz on Sirius, fans of teams like the Vikings, Steelers, Bucs and Panthers think they play left tackle. "We" did this and "We" did that.

So come on, which NFL teams fans are "We's" and which ones are "they's?"

I'm 22 years old.

I wear jerseys to work at least twice a week. I'm never alone. (The manager of my floor wore a 2004 NHL Eastern Conference cream and red jersey to work last week too.)

I wear it to the malls, to bars, to parties, wherever. (And I'm usually not the only person there who's wearing a jersey either.)

I don't wear it to important social gatherings like anything at a church or an important dance or prom situation.

I much prefer to put my own name or nickname and number of my choice on the back of a jersey then a player, unless it's a retired player or a jersey that just oozes coolness with it's gaze (like a Gretzky Oilers jersey, or a black CCM Lightning jersey with ANDREYCHUK 25 on the back and the 2004 Stanley Cup patch on the front.) The reason being that some players can turn your back on you (like Paul Kariya) or be traded in mid-stride (like Joe Thornton) rendering their jerseys obsolete.

Nobody I know judges me on any of the above.

I concur with gregjigga5...If it bothers you that I do any of the above, WHY THE :censored: DO YOU CARE!?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I'm a Giants fan, and I never hear any Giants fans referring to the team in third-person. As if "We played a great game against Dallas."

But when I listen to The Afternoon Blitz on Sirius, fans of teams like the Vikings, Steelers, Bucs and Panthers think they play left tackle. "We" did this and "We" did that.

I think the person who said everybody has "we" fans is correct. I catch myself doing it from time to time, though I try to be conscious of it and not do it.

What is worse here in Baltimore is Tom Matte doing the color and/or post game on Ravens games. He says "we" at least as much as he says "Ravens", as if he is still on the field 35 years after he retired. God love him, but he may be the biggest homer this side of Myron Cope.

I use "we" and "us" when referring only to Michigan. I feel as I was part of the program, and an alum, it fits. For the Pats, Red Wings, Pistons, and Tigers, it's "they".

spikes.jpg

I'm 22 years old.

I wear jerseys to work at least twice a week. I'm never alone. (The manager of my floor wore a 2004 NHL Eastern Conference cream and red jersey to work last week too.)

I wear it to the malls, to bars, to parties, wherever. (And I'm usually not the only person there who's wearing a jersey either.)

I don't wear it to important social gatherings like anything at a church or an important dance or prom situation.

I much prefer to put my own name or nickname and number of my choice on the back of a jersey then a player, unless it's a retired player or a jersey that just oozes coolness with it's gaze (like a Gretzky Oilers jersey, or a black CCM Lightning jersey with ANDREYCHUK 25 on the back and the 2004 Stanley Cup patch on the front.) The reason being that some players can turn your back on you (like Paul Kariya) or be traded in mid-stride (like Joe Thornton) rendering their jerseys obsolete.

Nobody I know judges me on any of the above.

I concur with gregjigga5...If it bothers you that I do any of the above, WHY THE :censored: DO YOU CARE!?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

You're 22 and still going to proms?

With Roger, it's best not to ask such questions.

BTW, as an update, I wore a Minnesota Thunder shirt to an off-site Flash class yesterday. Today, back in the office... I'm wearing a black polo. Every now and then I take a break from being "that guy."

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived