Jerseys a NO-GO?

RickV

I think it's funny that people make the assumption that wearing a player's jersey makes someone "believe they are that player" or pretend or whatnot. Perhaps you wear the jersey in support of the player? I have a lot of jerseys of guys I'm friends with. Tom Brady, Dave Terrell, Ian Gold, etc., these are friends. I wear their jerseys. I don't "want to be" them. Aside from that, I think jerseys look cool, they fit me well, and I tend to get players who fit my personality. I like Chad Johnson, because I like that he's boisterous and out there. Talks a lot of junk. I'll rock his jersey. Again, I don't really have any desire to "be" Chad Johnson. I just find it funny that people make the broad assumption that you wear jerseys to play pretend. A lot of people dress like certain bands or music people, and you don't hear about their "pretending." Dumb assessment if you ask me.

spikes.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. It is always safe to wear a number without a name. A reasonable person can read that as a tribute, not a personality disorder, whereas any reasonable person will wonder about the sanity of a grown man trying to pass himself off as Mike Schmidt (to cite the most commonly worn named jersey here in DC).

I disagree. I think it's Ray Lewis. I haven't seen a Mike Schmidt jersey except at a Phillies-Nats game.

What ever happened to sports teams being equivalent to a name brand? That's all it really is anyway.

I mean, if wearing a jersey to something non-sports-affiliated makes you an idiot, than it should work all across the board, otherwise the argument is made of nothing and you're just picking examples to suit your argument.

If a dude wears a gray shirt with "Nike" across the chest, then is he an idiot to? He doesn't work for Nike, endorse Nike, etc. Or if you're wearing a Ralph Lauren polo shirt - you don't have any affiliation with RL, that's not your name. You wear a Metallica shirt - you're not in the band, etc.

If you're over 20 - say, 25, and you wear a Yankees jersey outside, noone thinks anything of it. If your 45, maybe. But who cares? If you want to wear it, and you enjoy wearing it, and you paid for it, then f'n go for it.

And it's ridiculous to even think that people believe they're the player when they wear a player's jersey. With that logic, you'd also be arguing that anyone who watched a beer commercial believes that by drinking this beer you'll magically be on an island with beautiful women at your feet. These things are meant to give the consumer a positive feeling - noone believes these things are magical. That's just what academics try and argue and never do so successfully.

People just need to get off of their high horse and realize jerseys are just an article of clothing - you wear it because you like it, and because you paid for it.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

. . . to prom, . . .

Off topic (if anyone cares to respond) --

Is it proper/preferred to say "to prom" or "to the prom"? I have always used the "the" and it drives me crazy when it is dropped (as in "Pretty in Pink", which then drives my wife crazy when I invariably bitch about it). I am just curious if I am in the minority on this.

Same goes for "playing catch" vs. "have a catch" (a la "Fields of Dreams"), by the way. I never heard the phrase "have a catch" until college and it generally bothered me.

If everyone ignores me on this, no problem. I just felt compelled to bring it up because I obsess over this issue. :wacko:

I agree with you. You go to THE prom. It is a noun and deserves the article THE.

As for "have a catch", I had never heard the term till the movie. I, as you do, always said playing catch.

Uhh...I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that much.

Prom is short for "promenade" which is a noun or verb...I've never used the word promenade in my life (until now) but I still stand by the fact that it doesn't matter if you throw a "the" in there.

:blink:

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

And how are you supposed to wear a football or basketball jersey without a number or name?

I own an old Patriots jersey with just the patriots on the shoulders, and a Tennessee Oilers jersey with just the sleeve stripes and logo...no numbers, no name (though the Oilers jersey has a nameplate)...let's just say I've strongly considered putting numbers on both of em.

I remember when I was in middle school I saw one guy wearing a Steve Beuerlein jersey with no back number...I kid you not. had the rest of teh numbers, the jaguars on the sleeves, and BEUERLEIN on the back, but no back number. :blink:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I helped a friend move, and her neighbor was wearing a Penguins jersey, witha fight strap.. it said JAGR across the back... but had no numbers.

Wierd.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Uhh...I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that much.

Prom is short for "promenade" which is a noun or verb...I've never used the word promenade in my life (until now) but I still stand by the fact that it doesn't matter if you throw a "the" in there.

:blink:

Hmmm?? "I'm going to promenade." Without a "the", it would seem you are going to engage in the act of promenading (sp?), perhaps around the room. With a "the", you are going to the location/event known as the promenade. That difference would suggest that it very much does matter. <_<

If you mean it doesn't matter that much because this is an unimportant issue, then you can obsess over your meaningless minutiae and I will obsess over my meaningless minutiae. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I remember when I was in middle school I saw one guy wearing a Steve Beuerlein jersey with no back number...I kid you not. had the rest of teh numbers, the jaguars on the sleeves, and BEUERLEIN on the back, but no back number. :blink:

Yeah, I've seen those at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. They are defects.

Re: Branding

I don't wear any clothes with a brand logo on it. You're a fool if you do. Why pay $20 for a grey shirt with a Nike logo on it, when you can pay $10 for one without it.

Stop supporting brands on your clothes. You're just a drone if you do.

Overall, jersey wearing is fine, just do it appropriately, and there will be less backlash from metro-sexual sports writers who like to tell people what to do.

I know this is two pages back, but I still laughed.

Just for the record, I continue to be "that guy"--today, I'm wearing a Rangers (Glasgow) shirt today at work. It's got a collar, at least. :P

(I also need to do laundry.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

A Canary fan wearing a Toffees shirt?

The world's gone mad!

If he were wearing the blue and white of the Tractor Boys, now THAT would be insane. East Anglia Freakout.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

A Canary fan wearing a Toffees shirt?

The world's gone mad!

If he were wearing the blue and white of the Tractor Boys, now THAT would be insane. East Anglia Freakout.

Oh, hells no. No binner gear here!

I do proudly sport the blue and white of the Minnesota Thunder, but that's unrelated.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I remember when I was in middle school I saw one guy wearing a Steve Beuerlein jersey with no back number...I kid you not.  had the rest of teh numbers, the jaguars on the sleeves, and BEUERLEIN on the back, but no back number. :blink:

Yeah, I've seen those at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. They are defects.

Re: Branding

I don't wear any clothes with a brand logo on it. You're a fool if you do. Why pay $20 for a grey shirt with a Nike logo on it, when you can pay $10 for one without it.

Stop supporting brands on your clothes. You're just a drone if you do.

Meh, I'm a sucker for that, too. Call me a sellout, but I like my little Polo horse, and Izod alligator. I've got to be the dream client of every marketing department. A huge impulse buyer, and a sucker for brand names and "authentic" stuff. NFL Equipment will be my downfall. I love that stuff. I work for the visiting clubhouse at Ford Field, and love getting the newest stuff out there. I'm the guy that stretches the uniform code. Part of my duties is catching punts, so I wear the Reebok turf shoes, high blue socks, NFL Equipment shorts, and just got them to issue me an NFL Equipment mock instead of the polo. I get a few pairs of receiving gloves a game, and always try to get the newest and best stuff from the players after the game. The other guys roll their eyes, but I love it. Closest to the NFL I'll get. :D

spikes.jpg

A sports jersey is no different from a brand jersey or a band jersey. It means you support or wear the insignias/whatever sported on your clothes. Sometimes to work, I'll wear a football, baseball, or hockey jersey. I wear them because I like them. In many instances, brand name clothes are better quality than the cheap $3 t-shirt you can get at WalMart.

Right now, I wearing a Champion hooded sweatshirt (great quality) over a plain gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt.

Tomorrow, to my work X-mas party, I may wear my Dimebag Darrell memorial t-shirt. Underneath a sweater. Or not.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

There is a time an a place for all clothes, use your nut. A few years back I was going to a "sports" bar with my wife and the bouncer wouldn't let me in because I didn't have a collared shirt. I was in a authentic USA hockey jersey that I dropped a few bills on. Well we have never been to that place since. BTW the place was in a nice suburb. I only mentioned the location because I know some bars in rough areas ban all sports apparel due to gang activity. I doubt this was an issue in this place. I was told they wanted to "keep it upscale". If a $7.97 buttoned down Wal-Mart special is OK a top shelf jersey should be ok too. It's not like I was getting a table at Ruths Chris on New Years.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

There is a time an a place for all clothes, use your nut. A few years back I was going to a "sports" bar with my wife and the bouncer wouldn't let me in because I didn't have a collared shirt. I was in a authentic USA hockey jersey that I dropped a few bills on. Well we have never been to that place since. BTW the place was in a nice suburb.

I have surmised that you and I are somewhat near each other. Might that bar's name have begun with a P and ended in "Station"? Just a guess.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived