Another "i just realized what that logo is!"

boardname

I'm going with a ski (or maybe a mountain).  Per your link (i.e., the company website), Howard Head was the inventor of the first metal ski and founded the company in 1950 as "Head Ski Company, Inc." (see the history section).  Per the Prince website, he developed the Prince oversized tennis racket in 1976, well after the founding of the ski company.

Prince Tennis -- History

That'll teach me to read before I post :rolleyes:

I'd only heard of Head as tennis equipment and didn't realize their history.

No sweat. I just happened to know a little of the history because Head was based in my area before it was sold to a larger company (maybe AMF) at some point. Thus the Howard Head story (which is pretty fascinating) comes up from time to time.

He was basically an engineer who got frustrated at sports and came up with innovative new designs. He thought wooden skis were too clumsy and heavy, so he invented new metal/composite ones. He couldn't play tennis worth a damn, so he invented an oversized tennis racket with a larger sweet spot (and thus much more control -- as I can tell you as someone old enough to have played with both a Prince and an old school, small wooden racket -- and sucked either way, but not as much with the Prince).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am reaching here, but is the void space on the upper half of each "A" of the Atlanta Hawks wordmark supposed to resemble a beak?

ATL_415.gif

LT

no i see it that way too.

That's what I've always thought.

its a very ugly font at that

Just above the beak is the forehead of the bird (Hawk)

I always assumed it was just supposed to be part of a hawk's talon.

Do they have large talons?

Yes they do.

That notch looks more like a crow or raven's beak than a hawk's beak. Looks like talons to me.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 3 weeks later...

It also took me a few years to figure out what was on University at Buffalo's football helmets.

rid-41401-296.jpg

I live in Oregon, and have never seen this helmet before. I give up...I can't figure it out, and don't have a few years to kill trying to. What is it supposed to be?

You mean you can't see that? It's obviously the University of Buffalo's Headless Seahawks :D

LT

Nice. I've looked at the helmet from every possible angle. Even tried squinting. Still can't figure out what it is supposed to be. A letter? Animal? Upside down apostrophe? Help...I'm obsessing!

Nice.  I've looked at the helmet from every  possible angle.  Even tried squinting.  Still can't figure out what it is supposed to be.  A letter?  Animal?  Upside down apostrophe?  Help...I'm obsessing!

Maybe a picture of their mascot would help:

Buffalo-(University-of)-Bul.jpg

ucnu112sig.png

Nice.  I've looked at the helmet from every  possible angle.  Even tried squinting.  Still can't figure out what it is supposed to be.  A letter?  Animal?  Upside down apostrophe?  Help...I'm obsessing!

Maybe a picture of their mascot would help:

Buffalo-(University-of)-Bul.jpg

Gotcha! Thanks, guys. IMO it's a pretty weak helmet logo...shouldn't have to work that hard to figure it out.

Has Buffalo always had green?

Have they always had Hebrew?

It's not green. That's just bad lighting. I think it might be black, but probably should be navy. Not sure, they used a different helmet when I was there.

As for the Hebrew thing... UB has a huge Jewish population.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

It also took me a few years to figure out what was on University at Buffalo's football helmets.

rid-41401-296.jpg

I live in Oregon, and have never seen this helmet before. I give up...I can't figure it out, and don't have a few years to kill trying to. What is it supposed to be?

You mean you can't see that? It's obviously the University of Buffalo's Headless Seahawks :D

LT

It's Jamiroquai!

cut.gif

Archived