Isn't anyone curious about the padres new unis?

TruColor

Alright kids, Big Pappa Nitro's back with the hookup, so holla if ya hear me! Here's a JPG of the new Padres logo:

new-padres.jpg

...and the accompanying vector .ai files if you want to play around with it: (EDIT: I just added the cap logos as well, both solid and reversed.)

San Diego Padres Vector .ai File (RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE)

San Diego Padres Cap Logo Vector .ai File (RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE)

San Diego Padres Cap Logo (Reversed) Vector .ai File (RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of skimmed over everyone's responses, and was kind of surprised that I don't think I saw the obvious response to these...

How are you going to tell on highlights whether it's the god damn Brewers or Padres playing?  Since the Muts incorporated black, and too much of it at that, the great combo of Blue and Orange is all but gone in the majors... sad.

the waves are alright... the homeplate bg is ok too... the P is kinda cool, would look better for it to be on the hat...

but the loss of the orange... the loss of the friar... it's a little much... I'm giving this uniform change a C-

I'm not impressed.

grc

yanks_sig.gif

My $0.02:

--Like the colors; surf and sand is very San Diego and less like the Dodgers. I also liked Blue Orange and White (old SD PCL colors, I believe), but this is cool, too.

--Like the sand road unis. Just like the Giants' cream unis, (and, yes, Blue Jay graphite) you will see it on TV and instantly know who's playing.

--Wish they'd kept pinstripes at home. I just like pinstripes, and it makes them stand out vs. the Dodgers and Giants. Might have been too busy with the new lettering, though.

--Like the lettering--it's at least as good as the old Padres "Indiana Jones"-style wordmark, and more distinctive.

--Don't like the overall new logo. Just like the new "Jays", it strikes me as being somehow "minor league"-ish (someone else said USFLish, take your pick). Picking something ocean-related is not a bad idea, though. But the ocean wave has nothing to do with the Padres (someone asked what the friar had to do with Padres: SD was one of the old Spanish mission towns, and the missions were run by priests, hence "Padres"--Catholic priests are called "Father," get it?). Maybe keep the homeplate+wave motif, replace the word "Padres" with SD, you've got yourself a nice secondary logo for the alt unis. But not good enough as a primary.

One question, off topic: the Pads' camo unis were a tribute to the Marines. Are the plain blue and white unis a tribute to the Navy? SD is a big Navy town. If not, why did they do plain blue and white?

but overall, they didnt go back to brown (khaki has as much to do with brown as teal does with orange for the record) and they kept the friar around. therefore, Im satisfied

OK, I'm no color expert (PANTONE?) but I always looked at tan/khaki as light brown. Call me crazy, but I never thought of teal as any form of orange -- or vice versa. It's OK that you're in denial, Shark (or maybe it should be SharkHatesDarkBrownButLighterShadesAreOK).

Jersey style is actually similar to Anaheim and San Fran.  Neck stripe and thin sleeve stripes.  It's actually closer to San Fran because it's 3 lines instead of one.  Nice unis for anybody else, but I'm not digging the idea that 3/4 of California teams look the same now.

I liked the blue and orange better because it you could relate orange to padres.  Now it's all about San Diego.

Overall, I give it an 7.8/10.

I just like to do these things, I think:

SAN DIEGO PADRES NAVY BLUE

SAN DIEGO PADRES KHAKI/SAND

SAN DIEGO PADRES SKY BLUE

SAN DIEGO PADRES ROAD UNI KHAKI/SAND

...and, for good measure:

TORONTO BLUE JAYS BLUE

TORONTO BLUE JAYS SILVER

TORONTO BLUE JAYS DARK SILVER

TORONTO BLUE JAYS BLACK

TORONTO BLUE JAYS ROAD UNI DARK GRAY

Chris' site has the logo images up, so you can at least see what those look like.  The home ones are almost identical to the previous ones, navy with a white SD, just in the different style lettering.  The away ones have a sand SD outlined in white.  Personally, I like the away ones better, and I'd love to buy one if I could find one anywhere!
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I really think that the font on the road uniform looks weird, it kinda looks like it is both coming and going, but no real rhyme or reason. I think that all of the uniforms (and the hats) could use some orange outline treatment on the letters to bring them out more and tie them into the past of the franchise as well.

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

Perhaps if the waves from the main logo were under the letters?? or made up the lower portion of the uni? So we'd have the khaki uni with navy blue letters, white trim...then the bottom would be separated by baby blue waves, white trim on the waves and behind the waves and the bottom area of the unis would be the navy blue. Wonder how that would look?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived