Cubs Batting Helmets

no97

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did the Cubs had the little Cubs logo on their pants last season? And is it me, or does the BP jersey not match the blue in their helmet? Maybe the sunlight reflecting off the helmet is throwing the colors off.

The Cubs made the switch to navy BP gear a few years ago. I hate it.

I hadn't noticed the logo on the pants. I don't think it was there last year, but can't swear to it.

It's where I sit.

The pants logo's been there for a while, maybe even since they switched to gray pants in 1990, but I think at least since 1994. I'll do some digging.

And I hate the navy, too.

EDIT: Oldest photo I've found with logo on the pants so far is 1997 Steve Trachsel -- can't post it, though. Maybe it came with the '97 road uni change.

I don't think the shape of the helmet is a big deal. I liken it to the revolution helmets in the NFL...as long as they don't go all Michigan on us like the pics of the Mets show. On a side note...why have the cubs been messing with navy the last few years? Who do they think they are, the Bills? :P I think it looks ugly.

KISSwall09.jpg

The helmets are kinda goofy looking, but eh. Safety first.

The navy bp stuff for the cubs is frikken ignorant. The Cubs are supposted to be CUBBY blue!! not this navyish filth!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The helmets are kinda goofy looking, but eh. Safety first.

The navy bp stuff for the cubs is frikken ignorant. The Cubs are supposted to be CUBBY blue!! not this navyish filth!

Actually I prefer the navy and wish their alts were navy. I HATE "cubby blue" as a solid jersey color.

U notice the clubs logo on his pants as well. Thast different too  :blink:

Nope, as far as I can tell CubsFanBudMan is right, it was added in 1997:

nl1997chicago1xi.gif

I'm pretty sure Paul Lukas addressed it in one of the Uni Watch columns.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The Cubs logo has been on the road pants since the change in 1997.

As for the navy blue BP gear, it is ridiculous. They switched to navy because it supposedly sells more. Marketing people believe that navy sells better because it isn't bright and it looks better with jeans. The only problem is - the Cubs entire gimmick is their "tradition". Their tradition includes losing, being loveable, and the adorable shade known as Cubby blue.

The Cubs are lying; they are wiping their ass with tradition, and it is clear to see. They sell "timeless Wrigley Field - since 1914" (although most of the park wasn't constructed until 1923 and the outfield wall wasn't built until 1938), all while cramming in more seats behing a new backstop, destorying the bleachers and putting in monstrous new bleachers that completely destroy the continuity of the park. It is the same thing with the jerseys. The Cubs want to sell navy blue jerseys while selling their fans on the tradition of wearing royal blue. They are once against stomping on their own tradition to make more money.

I predicted last year that soon the Cubs would switch the primary color of their road unis from royal to navy. Think of the Nats wearing red at home and navy on the road, the Cubs will wear royal at home and navy on the road. They will have navy caps and the lettering will be navy. Of course, they would keep the royal blue at home as to not mess with "tradition", and it will look completely ridiculous.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Cubs are lying; they are wiping their ass with tradition, and it is clear to see. They sell "timeless Wrigley Field - since 1914" (although most of the park wasn't constructed until 1923 and the outfield wall wasn't built until 1938), all while cramming in more seats behing a new backstop, destorying the bleachers and putting in monstrous new bleachers that completely destroy the continuity of the park. It is the same thing with the jerseys. The Cubs want to sell navy blue jerseys while selling their fans on the tradition of wearing royal blue. They are once against stomping on their own tradition to make more money.

I predicted last year that soon the Cubs would switch the primary color of their road unis from royal to navy. Think of the Nats wearing red at home and navy on the road, the Cubs will wear royal at home and navy on the road. They will have navy caps and the lettering will be navy. Of course, they would keep the royal blue at home as to not mess with "tradition", and it will look completely ridiculous.

Where to start with this? (Besides the first two points have nothing to do with logos, and belong on the general spors board)

First off. How about Fenway? They've done the same thing... Should the Red Sox and Cubs be blamed for trying to survive in parks built nearly a hundred years ago in a business that now revolves around concepts like luxury suites and premium seating? Look at it this way - Fenway has 23 "Private Rooftop Boxes." Wrigley has 63 suites. Ameriquest Field at Arlington has 122 suites. How else are these parks to keep up with the new retro ballparks? Would you rather Fenway and Wrigley be torn down and new praks be built, or have the existing parks expanded?

Second, as to the "monstrous" new bleachers... Have you seen the photo galleries on the team site? Take a good look. We're talking about no more than five rows of new seats in each outfield corner. I'll venture to say that from the inside it'll be hardly noticable to the casual observer...

And finaly, you're out of your mind on the navy blue...

Moose

The Cubs are lying; they are wiping their ass with tradition, and it is clear to see.  They sell "timeless Wrigley Field - since 1914" (although most of the park wasn't constructed until 1923 and the outfield wall wasn't built until 1938), all while cramming in more seats behing a new backstop, destorying the bleachers and putting in monstrous new bleachers that completely destroy the continuity of the park.  It is the same thing with the jerseys.  The Cubs want to sell navy blue jerseys while selling their fans on the tradition of wearing royal blue.  They are once against stomping on their own tradition to make more money. 

I predicted last year that soon the Cubs would switch the primary color of their road unis from royal to navy.  Think of the Nats wearing red at home and navy on the road, the Cubs will wear royal at home and navy on the road.  They will have navy caps and the lettering will be navy.  Of course, they would keep the royal blue at home as to not mess with "tradition", and it will look completely ridiculous.

Where to start with this? (Besides the first two points have nothing to do with logos, and belong on the general spors board)

First off. How about Fenway? They've done the same thing... Should the Red Sox and Cubs be blamed for trying to survive in parks built nearly a hundred years ago in a business that now revolves around concepts like luxury suites and premium seating? Look at it this way - Fenway has 23 "Private Rooftop Boxes." Wrigley has 63 suites. Ameriquest Field at Arlington has 122 suites. How else are these parks to keep up with the new retro ballparks? Would you rather Fenway and Wrigley be torn down and new praks be built, or have the existing parks expanded?

Second, as to the "monstrous" new bleachers... Have you seen the photo galleries on the team site? Take a good look. We're talking about no more than five rows of new seats in each outfield corner. I'll venture to say that from the inside it'll be hardly noticable to the casual observer...

And finaly, you're out of your mind on the navy blue...

Moose

The one thing Wrigley had going for it was its continuity. It is slowly losing that. The charm was that it was an old park. They sold it as the "old time baseball experience, like stepping back in time". If they are drastically changing the look of the park, then it is taking away the gimick. It is no longer an old park, it is just an old looking park with narrow isles, tiny seats, inadequate facilities, and a foul stench.

As for the navy in the unis, we will see. They have already overlooked tradition with those garrish blue alternate jerseys. Their BP jerseys suck, but they are only the beginning. We will see.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As for the navy in the unis, we will see. They have already overlooked tradition with those garrish blue alternate jerseys. Their BP jerseys suck, but they are only the beginning. We will see.

Overlooked (garrish blue) tradition? Do you have any concept of the Cubs uniform history?

1941-42:

nl_1941_chicago.gif

1978-81

nl_1978_chicago.gif

1982-89

nl_1982_chicago.gif

How exactly is the current alt overlooking tradition? Seems to me the Cubs have a long tradition of wearing some form of blue jersey...

Moose

I don't see them switching to navy, but I do hate those blue ones. If they insit on them, I think they should be strictly a road alternate, and not used at home.

The blue jerseys of the Cubs I did like where the Blue with Cubs in curisive. If I remember they ditched them cux the s looked like an a, making it look lke "Cuba" They should come up with a different script where the s doesn't look like an a, or do a chicago script with blue. Something with that crawling cub in the C seems just wrong.

The blue isn't the problem, its the blue with the ad logo and no trim- notice older blue jerseys had some red and white slevesand coloars, just adds something.

brianurlacher.png

Overlooked (garrish blue) tradition? Do you have any concept of the Cubs uniform history?

1941-42:

nl_1941_chicago.gif

1978-81

nl_1978_chicago.gif

1982-89

nl_1982_chicago.gif

How exactly is the current alt overlooking tradition? Seems to me the Cubs have a long tradition of wearing some form of blue jersey...

Moose

I meant mostly that the blue jerseys are worn at home. Cubs fans speak of their home jerseys as if they are sacred like the Yankees'. The Cubs refuse to wear throwbacks at home because of it. The Cubs home jerseys cannot be on the same page with the Cardinals, Dodgers, and Yankees (which are widely considered timeless) as long as they wear the blue crap for some of their home games. It isn't just the fact that it is an alternate. I think the Cubs' blue jersey is very weak. I have alway hated the chest logo (it is barely good enough to be a sleeve logo). If they changed it to the main logo like the home jersey, it wouldn't be half bad. I still feel like it would need piping or something, but it would be an improvement just to change the logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I can see why they would wearing the ventilated helmets for Spring Training.

Um, why? The forecast all this week is for the mid to upper 70's (and dry as a bone - no rain in something like the last 130 days) in the Phoenix area. Contrast that to the July and August heat waves in Chicago (let alone places like Arlington, TX), where it'll be 100 degrees plus heat index... Looking at it that way, ventilated helmets make more sense durring the season than they do for spring training...

Moose

Archived