More proof that retro stadiums are cookie cutters

griffin128

Sorry, folks. St. Louis has the most recognizable skyline in America?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

New York City.

Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge - even sans WTC, it's far more recognizable.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe there is only one new building but I coulda sworn there was another.

There is a Trump Tower currently being built in downtown Chicago on the site of the former Chicago Sun Times building. It's slated to be 92 stories tall and its official website is trumpchicago.com.

144909.jpg

Fordham Spire will have the distinct honor of being the most incongruous building in the world (compared to its city) for all eternity. Why does "the city with broad shoulders" need a 2000-foot prom dress as the hallmark of its skyline? Put it in New York.

Maybe there is only one new building but I coulda sworn there was another.

There is a Trump Tower currently being built in downtown Chicago on the site of the former Chicago Sun Times building. It's slated to be 92 stories tall and its official website is trumpchicago.com.

Fordham Spire will have the distinct honor of being the most incongruous building in the world (compared to its city) for all eternity. Why does "the city with broad shoulders" need a 2000-foot prom dress as the hallmark of its skyline? Put it in New York.

As to Trump Tower Chicago, first off, there have been reports that it will not have a spire. Note that many of the images on the site you provide show the building without the spire. Trump does not want one, but Mayor Daly does. They've got a way's to go before they get to that point (Trump Tower Chicago web-cam)

As to the Fordham Spire, I'm torn. I like it, and I don't. It certainly shouldn't be the signiture building of the skyline, and that, unfortunatly, is what it will become. Part of the problem, is that signature buildings should be unique - as in the Gateway Arch, or the Transamerica Building, or Sears Tower. Problem with the Fordham Spire is that a spiral type building like that already exists:

1122884857709w.jpg

It's called the "Turning Torso" in Malmo Sweden. So it isn't a spire, so what, it still negates the "drill bit" uniqueness of the Fordham Spire...

Moose

Normally I cringe at east coast myopia, but midwest myopia exists too. The St. Louis arch is very recognizable to those who know it, but believe me when I say that a lot of people in the U.S. have never heard of it and couldn't recognize it if they saw it.

I don't know, I have a really hard time believing that.

I honestly have no idea how many people throughout the country know the Arch. It always seemed to me most did...perhaps not.

I did forget the Space Needle, that's certainly recognizable. I've never heard of the TransAmerica Pyramid until now. I don't think it is near as famous or recognizable as the Arch, but once again I don't really know how famous the Arch is.

As for New York, I could be wrong, but I don't think you can get a good view of the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Empire State Building all at the same time. I could be very, very wrong, though, but I can't find a picture of all three.

And to me, the Empire State building, no matter how famous, is still just another skyscraper that isn't necessarily instantly recognizable among a skyline.

I certainly missed Seattle, but I think it takes a building like the Arch or the Space Needle to make a skyline 100% instantly identifiable. Even the tallets, most unique skyscrapers are still just skyscrapers.

Truth is I can't really speak for how other people recognize skylines, and I don't have an outsiders view of St. Louis, so most of what I said means nothing.

The Rogers Centre is not that bad, certainly not the metro dome or Tropicana Field. It has gotten some much needed renovations and will continue to since it is only in phase two right now. I enjoy the Rogers centre on an nice day when the roof is open, and just by design I know atleast it is not a cookie cutter stadium.

Ballgamerogers.jpg

As for toronto, since developers are building many building, the skyline is projected to look something like this by 2015, though most of the building will be built earlier.

Pic stretches out too far

Trump Tower being built in Toronto

Most of these opinions on this thread are VERY biased, it seems that many posters are just "reppin" their home cities. There's a difference between skyline and landmark. I think skylines are instantly recognizable if there is a landmark which is part of the skyline, i.e. Sears Tower in Chicago, the CN Tower in Toronto, the Space Needle in Seattle, The Empire State Building in New York, The Arch in St.Louis...etc. I don't know if I would consider Pittsburgh as instantly recognizable, because the only thing I recognize are the bridges as the rivers.

People need to realize there is no such thing as a beautiful Florida day during the summer. It's hot, muggy, and it rains every day. The nice warm tolerable days are during the winter. Although I wouldn't call Florida beautiful. The post cards look great but in actuality Florida isn't that beautiful.

People need to realize there is no such thing as a beautiful Florida day during the summer. It's hot, muggy, and it rains every day. The nice warm tolerable days are during the winter. Although I wouldn't call Florida beautiful. The post cards look great but in actuality Florida isn't that beautiful.

I agree with everything but the last sentence. Hell even at night it's hot and even muggier.

The only time it's comfortable outside down here during the day is between November and mid April.

1997 | 2003

Archived