More proof that retro stadiums are cookie cutters

griffin128

Too bad the skyline looks microscopic from CBP..

True. Not only that, but there's that giant "Phillies" sign that is on that huge pole in one of the parking lots. It totally obstructs your view from some parts of the park, and ensures that a Phillies advertisement is in almost everyone's pictures of Center City.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised at the lack of love for the Philly skyline until BBTV's post.

In all fairness, the Phila. skyline isn't world famous (to average people) either. Most of that is due to the Billy Penn "law" (or gentlemen's agreement depending on who you ask.)

Hopefully that will be changing with the Cira Centre (and the pending taller Cira 2) expanding the C.C. skyline westward, and the Bridgeman's View tower (900+ ft) and the other condo towers going up on the Deleware that will be almost like a second skyline.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To Moose:

I was actually going to have a top 10 recognizable skylines for MLB cities. I had Chicago No. 6. The reason I didn't go to top 10 was because it was too tough to pick a top 10. I could have picked a top six, but a top five just sounds better.

The reason I picked Chicago below St. Louis and L.A. is because, to me at least, the Gateway Arch and the L.A. City Hall just really stand out. They're more noticible than anything in the Chicago skyline ... to me, at least. But I have to admit -- St. Louis, L.A. and Chicago are pretty close.

Now, to Maz:

Sorry, but the Pittsburgh skyline just isn't recognizable. Heck, Bismarck, N.D., has a more recognizable skyline than Pittsburgh. What is recognizable about Pittsburgh, as mentioned before, is the river. But take the river away and you have ... well, really not much. It's like if you took the Rocky Mountains out of the background of the Denver skyline. Do that and Denver could be a Detroit or a Baltimore or ... a Pittsburgh.

Do that and Denver could be a Detroit...

Remember...they made Dallas into Detroit in RoboCop.

Prominent Dallas landmarks seen in the film include Dallas City Hall (the exterior of the OCP headquarters), the Plaza of the Americas (where the glass elevator that Robocop rides in are located), and the Fountain Place building (the chisel-shaped skyscraper seen in the background of the OCP boardroom scenes).

The entrance to the OCP building in the movie is actually the front entrance of Dallas City Hall with extensive matte work above to make the building appear to be a giant skyscraper.

RoboCop Trivia

What can you see from Yankee Stadium:

Yankee_Stadium.jpg

What is that large, block-shaped building over the RF facade?

It's a non-descript office building. You're not going to get New York's *true* skyline from Yankee or Shea Stadium, since they are located in the Bronx and Queens, and not Manhattan (though I suppose if Shea were facing west it could see the Manhattan line in the distance).

Yankee_Stadium.jpg

It's a non-descript office building. You're not going to get New York's *true* skyline from Yankee or Shea Stadium, since they are located in the Bronx and Queens, and not Manhattan (though I suppose if Shea were facing west it could see the Manhattan line in the distance).

I was always told that was the Bronx courthouse.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Yankee_Stadium.jpg

It's the Bronx Courthouse.

From where Yankee Stadium is located you are not going to get a view of the famed Manhattan Skyline. If the Stadium faced the other way the Buildings in Harlem would block the view.

As for Shea if built in the right place in Queens it would have a terrific view. My fathers office was right on the bay in Queens and was right across the water from the WTC and had a terrific view of the Twin Towers before they were attacked. The probelm is that there is no real room for a stadium except for Flushing which is where Shea is currently located.

In order to get that great famous shot of the NYC skyline from a ballpark the stadium would have to be built along the Hudson River from the New Jersey side. If you go to the Meadowlands it has a great view of the skyline (although it isn't on the water).

For Dallas, we actually have 4 buildings. not all are as famous but here they are, in no specific order:

Bank of America Plaza (known for tallest building in Dallas & green argon tubing at night:bofapl-n.jpg

Reunion Tower (known for ball at top):reunion1.jpg

J.P. Morgan Chase Tower (known for the hole @ top, in the middle): http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/dallas15.jpg

Fountain Place (known for the shape of the building): dallas08.jpg

I know not everbody knows about these bulidings, but when you're on Interstate 35E (Stemmons Freeway for the locals) or on Woodall Rodgers, you see these buildings

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

To Moose:

I was actually going to have a top 10 recognizable skylines for MLB cities. I had Chicago No. 6. The reason I didn't go to top 10 was because it was too tough to pick a top 10. I could have picked a top six, but a top five just sounds better.

The reason I picked Chicago below St. Louis and L.A. is because, to me at least, the Gateway Arch and the L.A. City Hall just really stand out. They're more noticible than anything in the Chicago skyline ... to me, at least. But I have to admit -- St. Louis, L.A. and Chicago are pretty close.

I suppose we're all entitled to our oppinion. I'm just surprised you don't think that a skyline that most folks here put either just behind New York (or heck, as TCR did, ahead - although even though I'm a homer, I'm not that bold), or even with, is that destintive beyone one building. But, as stated, it's just your opinion...

Moose

For Dallas, we actually have 4 buildings. not all are as famous but here they are, in no specific order:

Bank of America Plaza (known for tallest building in Dallas & green argon tubing at night:bofapl-n.jpg

Reunion Tower (known for ball at top):reunion1.jpg

J.P. Morgan Chase Tower (known for the hole @ top, in the middle): http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/dallas15.jpg

Fountain Place (known for the shape of the building): dallas08.jpg

I know not everbody knows about these bulidings, but when you're on Interstate 35E (Stemmons Freeway for the locals) or on Woodall Rodgers, you see these buildings

I like the Dallas skyline. The Bank of America Plaza building is really cool at night and so is Reunion Tower

Moose,

To me, the Bemidji skyline is more familiar than Chicago. :P

Well, our skyline is either this:

trip-2003-07-23-MN-Bemidji-Paul-Bunyan-and-Babe-200.jpg

or, here's the tallest building in town - Tamarack Hall on Bemidji State Campus (and not actually downtown):

tamarack.jpg

Moose

Some of you guys crack me up. To say something like, "is easily more recognizable" and then to add "...to me" proves everyone else's point. Do you really think that more people would recognize a silhouette of Los Angeles than they would Chicago? Its the Sears freaking Tower! Are there thousands of people lining up to go to the top of Los Angeles City Hall every day? By the way, here's the world's most famous skyline...

giza-dusk1.jpg

Although the walls in centerfield are really unfair...

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Wrigley just gives you a view of the neighborhood. Comiskey gives you a view of the Dan Ryan, basically.

True, you can also get a nice view of the lake from most of the upper deck.

Not facing the skyline was one of many mistakes they made when they built New Comiskey. Most of the other mistakes have been rectified by the recent renovations, but it would be pretty costly to turn the stadium towards the skyline.

There is a great view of it from the ramps on the third base side.

Are they still planning to put a retractable roof on that new Twins ballfield? I think if they don't it's gonna be a tough time playing there in April, May, and September (October, too, if they get that far). I know I hate playing baseball in cold weather.

No roof, but, I'm sorry, it's no worse than Detroit, where the Twins were snowed out for a weekend in April last year... And the Cubs home opener was snowed out a couple years ago as well...

April 5th average high temperature:

Minneapolis 48

Detroit 50

Boston 53

Chicago 53

September 30 ave. high:

Minneapolis 62

Chicago 66

Detroit 67

Boston 68

Moose

Are they still planning to put a retractable roof on that new Twins ballfield? I think if they don't it's gonna be a tough time playing there in April, May, and September (October, too, if they get that far). I know I hate playing baseball in cold weather.

The legislation that will be passed calls for funding for a retractable-roofed ballpark.

BTW, Congrats goes out to all Twinkie fans.....

Now you just have to save your Vikings from following the path of the Lakers....

NYCdog.png

Archived