• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Top five most-recognizable skylines (of MLB cities only):

1. New York

2. Washington, D.C.

3. San Francisco

4. St. Louis (yes, the arch is enough)

5. Los Angeles (yes, City Hall is enough)

All of a sudden this

chicago_skyline2.jpg

isn't even top 5? :blink:

I mean, you can get a photo without the Sears Tower in there, and I think most folks still know what city that is:

Chicago_skyline.jpg

(Okay, so it's way in the back...)

Moose

I think they were meaning what you can see from the ball park. I'm pretty sure Wrigley faces away from downtown. Not sure about US Cellular though. I'll find out in June when I visit IIT.

Even if you don't get the Sears Tower in there, then you get the Hancock Center, or the Tribune Tower, and so on. Chicago has New York beat in architecture.

Wrigley just gives you a view of the neighborhood. Comiskey gives you a view of the Dan Ryan, basically.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pittsburgh's bridges, especially the Roberto Clemente, and where the rivers meet make pictures of the city look great, not the buildings themselves; hence, there is nothing special about Pittsburgh's skyline.

Hell, the most recognizeable thing about my city's (Memphis) skyline is about to become a Bass Pro Shops...

Pittsburgh's skyline is only recognizable because of one building - I think it is the U. of Pittsburgh's tower with the four pointed crown. The rest, you couldn't tell from anywhere else. You do really have to exclude the rivers when discussing the skyline, I think. SF, even without the Golden Gate Bridge has Coit Tower and the Transamerica Tower. Detroit would largely be faceless without the Renaissance Center; again, just one building makes it familiar. Cincy's skyline is only recognizable to me because I watched WKRP religiously growing up. Loni Anderson for pete's sake! the Arch is the only well-known structure in St. Louis for most. Nashville? I lived there and it is just the Batman bank one tower, and I doubt that it has reached any sort of iconic status beyond die-hard AFC football fans. I guess my point is it seems cheap to claim iconic status for a skyline based upon ONE building, ONE arch, or ONE Tower (Seattle, Dallas). I'm from Indy, and you wouldn't recognize it in a picture unless you grew up there.

I think it's the BellSouth building now, but it is very recognizable. LIke someone said, once you've seen it, you immediately know what city you're looking at.

nashville_Skyline.jpg

I think they were meaning what you can see from the ball park. I'm pretty sure Wrigley faces away from downtown. Not sure about US Cellular though. I'll find out in June when I visit IIT.

No, neither Wrigley or the Cell can see downtown from them. Then I don't think any of those listed qualify...

What can you see from Yankee Stadium:

Yankee_Stadium.jpg

(or, god forbid Shea):

shea637.jpg

RFK is as closed in as any doughnut stadium ever built:

RFK.JPG

I suppose looking at the McCovey Cove is nice, but that's just a land feature, not a skyline.

And I'll give you Busch III:

heart290busch.jpg

And the LA hills are nice from Chavez Ravine, but again, that's a land feature, not a skyline:

dodgers_pics_001.jpg

BTW, heres an interesting article from several years ago in the City Pages, one of those free publications that they hand out in large towns - it's from the Twin Cities from 1999 about the Twins stadium plans...

Moose

Not to get too far off-topic, but when are you visiting the Cell? I'll be there June 25th (White Sox/Astros)...

Moose

Speaking of "off topic", it is interesting to follow how this thread has gone from "Retro = Cookie Cutter" to who has the best skyline/view.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The whole skyline debate is silly. Who cares about whether Memphis or St. Louis has a better skyline. Here's a fact, there is only one great skyline, NEW YORK!

The rest are "sky clumps", A small group of like a dozen buildings.

New York truly stretches like a line. There are literally hundreds of buildings.

The arch is great, sears tower is fine, but take these buildings out and 70% of people won't have a clue where that is. I saw a thing on the news that 70% of americans couldn't find Louisiana on the map, do you think that they can identify a group of buildings MINUS the landmark?!

The whole skyline debate is silly. Who cares about whether Memphis or St. Louis has a better skyline. Here's a fact, there is only one great skyline, NEW YORK!

The rest are "sky clumps", A small group of like a dozen buildings.

New York truly stretches like a line. There are literally hundreds of buildings.

The arch is great, sears tower is fine, but take these buildings out and 70% of people won't have a clue where that is. I saw a thing on the news that 70% of americans couldn't find Louisiana on the map, do you think that they can identify a group of buildings MINUS the landmark?!

I have to agree with you, with the exception of Chicago...

Three photos with-out the Sears Tower, that I think still say Chicago:

Chicago_skyline.jpg

CMA-023.jpg

37710859._MG_85468x10.jpg

Moose

I think Dallas has a distinct skyline, but I grew up there so I may be biased.

dallascopy.jpg

The funny thing is if this picture were taken from the other side of downtown, it wouln't be nearly as recognizable. But this is the tourist/tv shot you always see.

newsig.jpg

Chicago > New York

The country doesn't stop at the Hudson River, y'know

Speaking of "off topic", it is interesting to follow how this thread has gone from "Retro = Cookie Cutter" to who has the best skyline/view.

Yeah, civic dick-waving is great.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Top five most-recognizable skylines (of MLB cities only):

1. New York

2. Washington, D.C.

3. San Francisco

4. St. Louis (yes, the arch is enough)

5. Los Angeles (yes, City Hall is enough)

pittsburgh.jpg

Tell me this ain't recognizable.

Dont get me wrong, I may be biased.

oBIgzrL.png

Tell me this ain't recognizable.

Dont get me wrong, I may be biased.

Well, I'll tell you what, go to any other board, full of people you have never met, post the picture, with just the buildings, and ask what city this is?

I saw, I came, I left.

Maz, if you want to see tall buildings in PA, you're going to have to head a couple hundred of miles east!

PA Highrise Diagrams

(relax, just playing.)

If I didn't go to college near Pittsburgh, honestly I may never have seen or recognized that skyline. It is very picturesque (I've spent a few dawns up on the West End Overlook getting some sunrise shots of downtown), but probably not famous.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived